The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Just realised this, it's all in the details. The upper line of the pick guard follows precisely the shape of the body:
silver_sky_photo12.jpg

Kudos to the design team :)

That's the "magic" of PRS for me - the hidden details. That's why I am sure that guitar must kill. I mean, Mayer could very easily just go out and tour with a REAL vintage strat - or have a couple of one-offs built by some freakily amazing builder nobody has heard of. He went PRS for a reason!

I wonder how many strat players will be stolen away by this guitar. Any predictions on Marketshare?

Very few. Most of the major retailers have been advertising this on Facebook. The comments on their posts have been mostly against the guitar. Frankly, I've never seen so much push back on a new instrument.

That's the "magic" of PRS for me - the hidden details. That's why I am sure that guitar must kill. I mean, Mayer could very easily just go out and tour with a REAL vintage strat - or have a couple of one-offs built by some freakily amazing builder nobody has heard of. He went PRS for a reason!

Lets be real. These deals are about money. Being a musician these days is about building your brand and having products associated with your name. Once music went digital and bands started losing money to illegal copying and fileshare, they had to come up with other ways to generate income. Thus, endorsing products became key. Mayer could get some one offs built, but is that generating money for him? No. He can get PRS to build his personal guitars, and then mass produce the same guitar for the public, which he gets a hefty percentage of. It's smart. I'm sure PRS is paying him very very very well for it too. Let's be real, once burning the bridge with Fender, the options for Mayer to do this were very very few. Suhr would be too small. No one wants to deal with Gibby anymore and Gibby wouldn't do a strat. Music Man already has a huge roster of successful signature artists. PRS was pretty much it. Certainly not a bad thing for both parties.

Very few. Most of the major retailers have been advertising this on Facebook. The comments on their posts have been mostly against the guitar. Frankly, I've never seen so much push back on a new instrument.

You must have been looking the other way when the S2 line was announced.
...new CE
...Firebird X
...various distressed reissues

Last edited:
Lets be real. These deals are about money. Being a musician these days is about building your brand and having products associated with your name. Once music went digital and bands started losing money to illegal copying and fileshare, they had to come up with other ways to generate income. Thus, endorsing products became key. Mayer could get some one offs built, but is that generating money for him? No. He can get PRS to build his personal guitars, and then mass produce the same guitar for the public, which he gets a hefty percentage of. It's smart. I'm sure PRS is paying him very very very well for it too. Let's be real, once burning the bridge with Fender, the options for Mayer to do this were very very few. Suhr would be too small. No one wants to deal with Gibby anymore and Gibby wouldn't do a strat. Music Man already has a huge roster of successful signature artists. PRS was pretty much it. Certainly not a bad thing for both parties.

Do the artists get a cut of the profits from each sale? I wouldn't have thought so. I would expect just a flat fee. I await to be corrected.

Oh, for sure - branding is everything as a musician. I hate that aspect - it's one I personally struggle with as an artist - but you are totally right!!

Unless we have proof, then what is REALLY real is this: what we say about the artiste’s motivation behind this guitar is speculation.

It could easily just have been a passion. Why not? How often does one get to design your own guitar from scratch, without the burden of first starting your own guitar factory? Why assume that JM even needs that quantum of money?

Cos while we’re at it lets also speculate that PRS offered loads of money to Carlos Santana to accept that first guitar backstage decades ago. Must have been billions then, for him to have carried it till today.

It could be money, it could be not. Or it could be that any money involved is merely a token to fairly compensate for usage of image rights, and not the entire motivation for co-designing a new guitar, as if the artiste was 100% sure it would be the next iPhone, sell a billion copies and make him a billionaire.

Unless you’re in that inner circle, there’s no need to sound so sure.

Last edited:
This guitar certainly interests me. My guitar fund is currently very low, and I have a PRS "SVN" on order (custom run with ebony board), and that will be shipping to me sometime this month I suspect.

And I'm still mulling over the cost of going to Experience PRS 2018. So the Silver Sky is something I will probably pick up eventually, but I'm not likely to grab one in the very near future. If I was a bit more flush with cash I would have pre-ordered one already, though!

This guitar certainly interests me. My guitar fund is currently very low, and I have a PRS "SVN" on order (custom run with ebony board), and that will be shipping to me sometime this month I suspect.

And I'm still mulling over the cost of going to Experience PRS 2018. So the Silver Sky is something I will probably pick up eventually, but I'm not likely to grab one in the very near future. If I was a bit more flush with cash I would have pre-ordered one already, though!
Go to Experience. Seriously.
The Silver Sky will be around for a while.
Have I mentioned I love that name?

People get aggravated over strange things, don’t they? None of the haters have played one, heck, guitar players love to weigh in with opinions.

I’m looking forward to checking one out.

I’m looking forward to checking one out.

LOL, I really don't want one, pretty much know in the end I won't like the sound (it is 3 single coils, after all), but I look forward to checking one out too! I am intrigued to see how PRS has interpreted the vintage S. As the former owner of a '62 slab board (gift from my grandfather in his last days - my brother got the '55 because he likes maple boards), I am very eager to feel the guitar.....

LOL, I really don't want one, pretty much know in the end I won't like the sound (it is 3 single coils, after all), but I look forward to checking one out too! I am intrigued to see how PRS has interpreted the vintage S. As the former owner of a '62 slab board (gift from my grandfather in his last days - my brother got the '55 because he likes maple boards), I am very eager to feel the guitar.....
Oh man that’s awesome.

Back