The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

What have you done, Pete? o_O

Ha! Something very good. Very bad. Mum's the word until next week! ;)

In the meantime, I must declare this particular guitar to be the best sounding guitar I have ever owned:

IMG_1010_zpszclvklb5.jpg

They all sound and play great. But this one just blows me away. It is totally exempt for the pickup changing experiment, I am not changing a THING on this bad boy.

It is funny, and cool, when something totally surprises you like that. I had very little expectation for this guitar. After all the great ones I had already, and this one being the last one in, I expected to consider not keeping it unless it was great. When I got it in, I kept it because it played and sounded good, and because of the cool understated top and vintage vibe. But the more I play it, the more I bond with it. It just plays and sounds incredible!

Who would have thought, MA Pete, the Private Stock snob, head over heels over a Core Non-10 Top?? It doesn't even compute. ;)

If you told me I could only keep one of my 5 remaining and I had to chose which one, I wouldn't even have to think about it...

In the meantime, I must declare this particular guitar to be the best sounding guitar I have ever owned:

IMG_1010_zpszclvklb5.jpg

They all sound and play great. But this one just blows me away. It is totally exempt for the pickup changing experiment, I am not changing a THING on this bad boy.

It is funny, and cool, when something totally surprises you like that. I had very little expectation for this guitar. After all the great ones I had already, and this one being the last one in, I expected to consider not keeping it unless it was great. When I got it in, I kept it because it played and sounded good, and because of the cool understated top and vintage vibe. But the more I play it, the more I bond with it. It just plays and sounds incredible!

Who would have thought, MA Pete, the Private Stock snob, head over heels over a Core Non-10 Top?? It doesn't even compute. ;)

If you told me I could only keep one of my 5 remaining and I had to chose which one, I wouldn't even have to think about it...
I TOTALLY love that one. Even without hearing it. SO much GAS.......

Kevin

IMG_1010_zpszclvklb5.jpg

Great top on that one!!! not too busy. Perfect!

Thanks!

That is actually the angle that shows the MOST flame, at other angles the flame almost disappears.

IMG_1009_zpsydrvxswo.jpg

IMG_1008_zpslg7qe8ja.jpg

IMG_1012_zps6k4e3rgu.jpg

IMG_1006_zpsqbz3tclq.jpg

It changes a lot at different angles and different lighting.

I dig that about it!!

Very "vintage" and understated...

IMHO, it's the vertical grain that gives this the over the top Vintage vibe. In pics it almost appears as checking or aging of the finish. Love this finish so much. If there is to be a third 594 in my harem, it's gotta be this finish. BTW, you're right about the ivory tuner buttons. I just got 4 sets delivered Thursday. Already on the WL I got from you. One set reserved for incoming WL from Brian. The other two are going on my Bernie and my P245 SH. It just looks "right" withe thefretboard binding.

Well, the awesome Goldtop Burst 594 sold today. Awesome guitar, but I am confident it is going to a good home.

What was that I said a couple of weeks ago?

Interesting... ;)

That one was special, Pete...gotta say. So what's next?

Looks like hard eastern maple ("Michigan" )to me. Many of the highly figured tops will be bigleaf (softer) western maple. Could be part of what you're liking about the tone of that one.

Looks like hard eastern maple ("Michigan" )to me. Many of the highly figured tops will be bigleaf (softer) western maple. Could be part of what you're liking about the tone of that one.

Interesting thought! Thanks for sharing that.

http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree...s-private-stock-6270-mccarty-594-mccarty-glow

This private stock showed up on Willcutt's website as sold.

"Paging MA Pete"

Nope, not me! ;)

That one was spec'ed while I was there with Eric on March 1st. I *LOVE* that finish, and the way it turned out on that guitar!! But that top was not for me, otherwise I would have been all over it...

IMHO, it's the vertical grain that gives this the over the top Vintage vibe. In pics it almost appears as checking or aging of the finish. Love this finish so much. If there is to be a third 594 in my harem, it's gotta be this finish. BTW, you're right about the ivory tuner buttons. I just got 4 sets delivered Thursday. Already on the WL I got from you. One set reserved for incoming WL from Brian. The other two are going on my Bernie and my P245 SH. It just looks "right" withe thefretboard binding.

Agree, a great upgrade for a PRS with binding! It just looks "right"...

Congrats!

That one was special, Pete...gotta say. So what's next?

Top secret until it comes in. :)

I am hopeful it will be AWESOME!

Top secret until it comes in. :)

I am hopeful it will be AWESOME![/QUOTE]

I'm most certainly it will be dazzling (in a subdued vintage way)

I'm most certainly it will be dazzling (in a subdued vintage way)

This one - yes re dazzling, but certainly NOT subdued!

Vintage? Oddly very vintage and very modern at the same time. I think that is one of the main things I totally dig about it!

If you look at my history of PRSi collecting and obsessing, themes always recur and return. Something about something that has moved on reappears. It is sometimes very intentional, sometimes it just seems to happen by its own forces, and I realize it somewhere along the way. Either way, it provides for a strong emotional connection with the past that when combined with amazing tone and playability, defines the concept of "bonding" with a guitar, for me. (I will explain that context later...)

;)

So Pete,
First of all, I don't know anyone more qualified to make a judgment on a 594 then you at this point. The only people who have played more probably all work at the company testing them before they leave.

That newest sunburst one is very beautiful. Enjoy it...while it's still in your possession! :)
So...aahhumm (clearing my throat), when is your private stock arriving, or is it a gold top 594 arriving, ehh? ;)

Oh, and what's the total count currently...the green top, the sunburst top and that's all?! am I leaving any out?
How many have you, should I say..."Tested?" ;)

Damn, I may have mis-thought my PS. Maybe, I should have just hung around your door and taken one off your hands as they pass by! ;)

Last edited:
Can't wait to get my hands on this one at the end of the week....many thanks, Pete! (and good luck w/ your "Incoming" ;))

Doug:

Enjoy that beauty!

Cool that it find a good home with another forum member here, and also that we will have a new 594 owner and enthusiast for this thread!

So Pete,
First of all, I don't know anyone more qualified to make a judgment on a 594 then you at this point. The only people who have played more probably all work at the company testing them before they leave.

That newest sunburst one is very beautiful. Enjoy it...while it's still in your possession! :)
So...aahhumm (clearing my throat), when is your gold top 594 arriving, ehh? ;)

Oh, and what's the total count currently...the green top, the sunburst top and that's all?! am I leaving any out?
How many have you, should I say..."Tested?" ;)

Damn, I may have mis-thought my PS. Maybe, I should have just hung around your door and taken one off your hands as they pass by! ;)

Your PS will be great! Feel free to buy one of my second-hand lightly used ones as well, though! ;)

Speaking of that, I do think I will be moving one more out of the collection. I talked about a "one-in one-out" rule, well this new one cost so darn much (a hint to what it is) that I think I am going to sell another one to help fund this incoming one. It likely will be the Livingston Lemon Willcutt's Wood Library one, that one is killer, but the finish is so close on those two Willcutt's ones that I think moving one of those makes the most sense. I dropped it off with my tech today to get the Lollars out and the stock pickups put back in.

So to answer your question, I have owned a total of 8 594's, not including the incoming. I got the GOM PS 594 in early March, and that was picked up by the new owner just a couple of weeks ago. One of my first two Core/Production 594's was the awesome Dave's Guitar Wood Library 594 in Burnt Orange, which Bodia here now owns. That one was a great one, sounded awesome, played awesome, and looks incredible. Also in the bucket of owned and sold is that killer Gold Top Burst above headed to dougstrummer now.

In my CA Apartment I have the "Honey" Core 10-Top that I got from JD at Guitar Maverick. That is a sweet one, I enjoy it when I am out there!

At home I have the 2 Willcutt's Wood Library ones (Vintage Sunburst and Livingston Lemonburst), the Green Metallic (from Brian G at Brian's Guitars), and my new #1 mentioned above, the Non-10-Top in Tobacco Burst from Jack Gretz at Northeast Music.

So 8 total owned, 5 still in the collection. Have one inbound which will cause 1 more outbound per above statement, that would take it to 9 total and still 5 current.

So, yes, I probably have owned and experienced more 594's than most other owners out there. All part of my experience of the 594, sampling many Core examples, and keeping the ones that I connect with the most, while I take the time to rebuild my Private Stock collection with personally spec'ed creations with the Private Stock team! ;)

Back