The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Beautiful guitar!

I have one spec’d the same in a different color, and it’s great.

Well you have to tell us the color now, what color is worthy of a special order:eek:
I was on the fence with a aquamarine blue, or Beach fade or the green,

Another new member of the 594 fraternity (and/or sorority?) - did a NGD post the other day but just saw this thread for the first time. I'm not a guy who's ever had or wanted a bunch of guitars. I've always just wanted one or maybe two that I know really well. I don't mind having two, but when I do, one of them always gets played 95 PLUS percent of the time and the other one sits there looking forlorn and my emotions get conflicted. So really, having one electric and one acoustic is my personal Nirvana. For about 30 years a Strat was my one and only, and always considered myself a single coil guy. I didn't play much for a long time, but got way back into it about a year ago and went through a number of strats and teles before settling on a strat late last Spring. But also had a tele, which never got played, which got returned in favor of an Ibanez semi-hollow and I discovered that in my older age, I'm a mellower player and humbuckers suit me better now, if I have to choose. But just recently picked up a very slightly used 594 10-top that nails the humbucker sound and more than covers my current level of single coil need. So I let the other two go and now I'm a one-electric guy again. Still in the honeymoon period, but I don't know how I'd ever get tired of this guitar. Also, as much as I love looking at many of the ornate finishes I see a lot of around here, they're just not my taste for something I'd be picking up every day, so mine is a pretty restrained tobacco burst. I lucked into finding it for a really good price (still waaaaay more than I've ever spent on a guitar). I"m loving it... Thanks to the many fine folks here for providing a warm welcome and lot's of useful information...

594-10-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited:
Another new member of the 594 fraternity (and/or sorority?) - did a NGD post the other day but just saw this thread for the first time. I'm not a guy who's ever had or wanted a bunch of guitars. I've always just wanted one or maybe two that I know really well. I don't mind having two, but when I do, one of them always gets played 95 PLUS percent of the time and the other one sits there looking forlorn and my emotions get conflicted. So really, having one electric and one acoustic is my personal Nirvana. For about 30 years a Strat was my one and only, and always considered myself a single coil guy. I didn't play much for a long time, but got way back into it about a year ago and went through a number of strats and teles before settling on a strat late last Spring. But also had a tele, which never got played, which got returned in favor of an Ibanez semi-hollow and I discovered that in my older age, I'm a mellower player and hum buckers suit me better now, if I have to choose. But just recently picked up a very slightly used 594 10-top that nails the humbucker sound and more than covers my current level of single coil need. So I let the other two go and now I'm a one-electric guy again. Still in the honeymoon period, but I don't know how I'd ever get tired of this guitar. Also, as much as I love looking at many of the ornate finishes I see a lot of around here, they're just not my taste for something I'd be picking up every day, so mine is a pretty restrained tobacco burst. I lucked into finding it for a really good price (still waaaaay more than I've ever spent on a guitar). I"m loving it... Thanks to the many fine folks here for providing a warm welcome and lot's of useful information...

-Ray

Tobacco Burst is still my favorite finish on these.

You call it restrained, I call it one of the best finishes I've seen on the 594. Gorgeous!

-Ray
[/QUOTE]
I got really REALLY lucky because I bought this used from Guitar Center and the photos they had of it online basically sucked. But I knew it was a 10-top and of the finishes they had available in their very limited used selection, I knew tobacco burst suited me more than the others, and it was priced a couple hundred dollars below any of the others, so I grabbed it and took my chances. And when I opened the case I was just a little blown away by it. I really do love the more ornate stuff, but more as a spectator / observer. For something I'd want on my everyday axe, this does it for me...

-Ray

Well you have to tell us the color now, what color is worthy of a special order:eek:
I was on the fence with a aquamarine blue, or Beach fade or the green,

It’s not a fancy color, it’s Black Gold Burst, with a scraped binding.

My dealer ordered it as part of a run, and I snapped it up it the day it came in, because I was digging the Soapbar one I had, and because when I see a PRS in a Black Gold finish, apparently my brain melts (my 594 Soapbar is also Black Gold).

After it came in, I realized that it has an interesting one-piece top. Anyway, I love this guitar, and feel the same way about the Soapbar model. They sound fantastic, and play great. PRS knocked it out of the park with this model!

I should hasten to add that the green one you posted is to die for.

Here’s a shot of the maple neck humbucker 594 from my dealer’s post:

WLB0913-Y1_1_of_9__97878.1507924307.1280.1280.JPG

WLB0913-Y1_9_of_9__30454.1507924269.1280.1280.JPG

Last edited:
Another new member of the 594 fraternity (and/or sorority?) - did a NGD post the other day but just saw this thread for the first time. I'm not a guy who's ever had or wanted a bunch of guitars. I've always just wanted one or maybe two that I know really well. I don't mind having two, but when I do, one of them always gets played 95 PLUS percent of the time and the other one sits there looking forlorn and my emotions get conflicted. So really, having one electric and one acoustic is my personal Nirvana. For about 30 years a Strat was my one and only, and always considered myself a single coil guy. I didn't play much for a long time, but got way back into it about a year ago and went through a number of strats and teles before settling on a strat late last Spring. But also had a tele, which never got played, which got returned in favor of an Ibanez semi-hollow and I discovered that in my older age, I'm a mellower player and humbuckers suit me better now, if I have to choose. But just recently picked up a very slightly used 594 10-top that nails the humbucker sound and more than covers my current level of single coil need. So I let the other two go and now I'm a one-electric guy again. Still in the honeymoon period, but I don't know how I'd ever get tired of this guitar. Also, as much as I love looking at many of the ornate finishes I see a lot of around here, they're just not my taste for something I'd be picking up every day, so mine is a pretty restrained tobacco burst. I lucked into finding it for a really good price (still waaaaay more than I've ever spent on a guitar). I"m loving it... Thanks to the many fine folks here for providing a warm welcome and lot's of useful information...

-Ray

Ray, that one is absolutely classic. I love it!

I’ve gone back and forth from being a “one electric/one acoustic” guy, to having a small handful. At this point, I think I’ve reached something approaching stasis, but one just never knows! Nonetheless, it doesn’t get any more beautiful or classy than that gorgeous burst!

Sad, but true (for the most part).

He even had that one on Reverb at one point, but thankfully came to his senses. Hopefully he still has the one with the cool custom burst, too. That one is way cool.

He’s got that one up for sale. I can only see what he’s selling, not buying lol

He’s got that one up for sale. I can only see what he’s selling, not buying lol

My prediction is that Pete will be back eventually with another one. He goes off on these guitar benders, eventually sobers up, and gets another 100 PRSes. ;)

I’ve told him that Paul Smith probably has a wing in his house named The MA Pete Thank-You Wing.

Edit: I should also mention that Paul probably has The LSchefman Thank-You Hot Water Faucet somewhere in his house, too.

Last edited:
Ray, that one is absolutely classic. I love it!

I’ve gone back and forth from being a “one electric/one acoustic” guy, to having a small handful. At this point, I think I’ve reached something approaching stasis, but one just never knows! Nonetheless, it doesn’t get any more beautiful or classy than that gorgeous burst!
I've gone back and forth between having one electric and two. Never owned more than two, and mostly just had one. And when I've had two, I always s thought about getting back down to one and never about adding a third. So I think my stasis point is somewhere around one or 1.5. And now that I own THIS one, it's definitely gonna be one for a good long while at least.

I've been getting to know the coil split sounds in the last couple of days and I stuck a clean boost in front of my OD pedal to use when in split coil mode. Really evens out the volume and provides enough signal to get a similar amount of drive out of the OD pedal, so I can switch between humbucker and split coil without having to make a lot of adjustments - just hit the boost - different sounds but basically the same levels of volume and OD. Having those split coils very greatly increases the odds of staying with just one electric for quite a while.

-Ray

Back