The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I got my 594 and joined this forum about the same time Pete was done raving about the DC and had moved on to the SC. He almost got me with the "5 percent better tone" thing but the particular 594 that grabbed me the most was a double cut. In hindsight I'm glad I got the DC... lighter, better ergonomics and doesn't sacrifice a smidgen of tone to any SC I've tried.

Pete's quite the character tho :)

Last edited:
I got my 594 and joined this forum about the same time Pete was done raving about the DC and had moved on to the SC. He almost got me with the "5 percent better tone" thing but the particular 594 that grabbed me the most was a double cut. In hindsight I'm glad I got the DC... lighter, better ergonomics and doesn't sacrifice a smidgen of tone compared to any SC I've tried.

Pete's quite the character tho :)

I totally agree, I had a single cut 594 it was almost 9lbs, totally excellent, I sold it to get a high-performance LP,(which is nearly perfect 8.0lbs (I have a very hard time putting that guitar down, axcess neck:D) but then I missed that 58/15LT neck pickup,such a amazing vocal quality, so I decided the single cut 594 definitely was too heavy and fret 21 and fret 22, were considerably annoying effort to reach, so I replaced it with a double cut 594 (7.5 Lbs), sort of unexpected that my lightest guitar has the best tone, perhaps the wood library pieces are making it very very special, I feel like it's better than the single cut 594, for me, fantastic tonally, fantastic playability. fret 21 and fret 22 don't even notice it, I go fluidly right there bend the 22 to an E no problem. For the single cut there might be slightly more tightness on the bottom end, on the power chords (I think that's the 5% pete speaks of, maybe) on the single cut, (when all else fails Lean hard on F sharp power chord). I was surprised at how ergonomic the double cut is for me, so comfortable, seems like a I can play it 30 extra minutes, before my back starts giving out. it's so nice to have the option of either one, they are 95% of each other, the 594 double cut seems to answer all my interrogations, seems to do almost everything I ask it to do. then I start reaching for the trem bar whoops:eek::confused::mad:it's not there.

Bit of a rookie question. Wanted to get a cleaner / polish / fretboard kit before my next string change. Sounds like the cleaner and fretboard conditioner are no brainers, but the polish indicates it shouldn't be used on Nitro finishes.

So what's the finish on the 594? Is it safe to use the polish from time to time?

I'm not a stickler for this kind of thing (other than the fretboard), but I wouldn't mind giving it a good clean and polish every now and then and would hate to cloud the finish if it's nitro...

Thanks,

-Ray

Bit of a rookie question. Wanted to get a cleaner / polish / fretboard kit before my next string change. Sounds like the cleaner and fretboard conditioner are no brainers, but the polish indicates it shouldn't be used on Nitro finishes.

So what's the finish on the 594? Is it safe to use the polish from time to time?

I'm not a stickler for this kind of thing (other than the fretboard), but I wouldn't mind giving it a good clean and polish every now and then and would hate to cloud the finish if it's nitro...

Thanks,

-Ray

Standard is a polyester base coat with acrylic top coat. As far as I know, the satin finish is nitro and you can only get gloss nitro through Private Stock.

Standard is a polyester base coat with acrylic top coat. As far as I know, the satin finish is nitro and you can only get gloss nitro through Private Stock.
It's a 10-top, but I'm assuming it's still standard and should be fine with the polish. I'm gonna order the kit and if someone warns me off of the polish between now and when I'd use it, I won't. But it sounds like it should be OK.

Thanks,

-Ray

It's a 10-top, but I'm assuming it's still standard and should be fine with the polish. I'm gonna order the kit and if someone warns me off of the polish between now and when I'd use it, I won't. But it sounds like it should be OK.

Thanks,

-Ray

You're all good with that kit.

Wow. I made it through all 94 pages. Whew what a ride. Kind of bummed to hear Pete has gone back to LP’s. But not too surprised. That guy likes buying and selling guitars. I’m greatful for his knowledge and experience.

Why did I read (okay skimmed here and there) the whole thread? Well I’ve posted elsewhere, but recently bought a 513. Nicest guitar I’ve ever owned. Just wasn’t “my” guitar. So I ended up selling it. Kind of needed to sell some other guitars to help pay for it anyway. So I’ve been working on that.

Well I was obviously hit hard by the PRS bug. Kept looking and watching out for a deal. Mostly been eyeing more 513’s and McCarty’s. Also some custom 22’s. Also the 509 and 594, even those tend to be just out of my budget. Kind of wanted something with a hard tail. I’ve never been a trem guy, but the 513 proved how nice the PRS ones are. So not a dealbreaker if it had a trem. Knew I wanted something with at least a wide fat neck. Maybe a full rosewood neck if possible. I have one on a strat style guitar and it’s just awesome feeling. Anyway ran across a 594 that I couldn’t say no to for the price.

It’s not here yet so I won’t post pics. But I have high hopes it’s “the one”. It’s a wood library model with a satin finish. So not a rosewood neck, but hoping for a similar feel. And I’ve always loved the look of satin. As soon as I have it in my hands I’ll post pics. Could be next week though. Just anxious to officially join the club and see what the fuss is all about. :)

Wow. I made it through all 94 pages. Whew what a ride. Kind of bummed to hear Pete has gone back to LP’s. But not too surprised. That guy likes buying and selling guitars. I’m greatful for his knowledge and experience.

Why did I read (okay skimmed here and there) the whole thread? Well I’ve posted elsewhere, but recently bought a 513. Nicest guitar I’ve ever owned. Just wasn’t “my” guitar. So I ended up selling it. Kind of needed to sell some other guitars to help pay for it anyway. So I’ve been working on that.

Well I was obviously hit hard by the PRS bug. Kept looking and watching out for a deal. Mostly been eyeing more 513’s and McCarty’s. Also some custom 22’s. Also the 509 and 594, even those tend to be just out of my budget. Kind of wanted something with a hard tail. I’ve never been a trem guy, but the 513 proved how nice the PRS ones are. So not a dealbreaker if it had a trem. Knew I wanted something with at least a wide fat neck. Maybe a full rosewood neck if possible. I have one on a strat style guitar and it’s just awesome feeling. Anyway ran across a 594 that I couldn’t say no to for the price.

It’s not here yet so I won’t post pics. But I have high hopes it’s “the one”. It’s a wood library model with a satin finish. So not a rosewood neck, but hoping for a similar feel. And I’ve always loved the look of satin. As soon as I have it in my hands I’ll post pics. Could be next week though. Just anxious to officially join the club and see what the fuss is all about. :)

I don't usually read a long comment like this with so many agreeable points.

I'm beyond impressed that you read this whole thread. I think it's definitely cool that you were able to go through Pete's journey and appreciate that guy. He seems like a really good guy.

It's awesome to hear that even though you didn't bond with your 513, you realized the amazing quality of PRS guitars. I'm very excited to see your new guitar. Post as soon as you can and definitely stick around to chat.

I believe Pete still has one of his 594s, and who knows, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got something up his sleeve with some sort of PS build. He’s always moving and grooving when it comes to this stuff.

As far as reading it all, I need something to do while I’ve been waiting for it to get here. Not that 2 jobs and a family with 3 little boys don’t already. Haha.

I’ve always played dual HB guitars. Then bought a dual p90 guitar. Thought that was what I wanted. However they all had modern higher output pickups. Through a series of events, realized I like lower output pickups and single coils are what I probably should have been playing. Was looking for a 305 (with a figured maple top, those are hard to find) when I found the 513. Figured it was close enough. And man was it great. I just didn’t love the color. And also wished for a satin/bare/rosewood neck. Talked to ptc about doing satirizing the neck (along with fixing a small spot of finish that had popped off on the side of the fretboard). Decided instead of modding a guitar I would only really really like, I should let it go, and kept looking and reading. Because what it taught me was, not only are single coils my thing, so are clear humbuckers. :)

So I was still looking mostly for a 305/513/509, but kept an on the 594’s. Watching videos and reading reviews. In one video about the 594, Brian Ewald said something like, he’s always been a single coil guy, but the 594 and 58/15LT’s were the first humbuckers he’s really bonded with. That definitely had me watching 594’s a bit closer. Found one I liked at a price that agreed with me and the rest is history. Well at least until it gets here.

As far as reading it all, I need something to do while I’ve been waiting for it to get here. Not that 2 jobs and a family with 3 little boys don’t already. Haha.

I’ve always played dual HB guitars. Then bought a dual p90 guitar. Thought that was what I wanted. However they all had modern higher output pickups. Through a series of events, realized I like lower output pickups and single coils are what I probably should have been playing. Was looking for a 305 (with a figured maple top, those are hard to find) when I found the 513. Figured it was close enough. And man was it great. I just didn’t love the color. And also wished for a satin/bare/rosewood neck. Talked to ptc about doing satirizing the neck (along with fixing a small spot of finish that had popped off on the side of the fretboard). Decided instead of modding a guitar I would only really really like, I should let it go, and kept looking and reading. Because what it taught me was, not only are single coils my thing, so are clear humbuckers. :)

So I was still looking mostly for a 305/513/509, but kept an on the 594’s. Watching videos and reading reviews. In one video about the 594, Brian Ewald said something like, he’s always been a single coil guy, but the 594 and 58/15LT’s were the first humbuckers he’s really bonded with. That definitely had me watching 594’s a bit closer. Found one I liked at a price that agreed with me and the rest is history. Well at least until it gets here.

Looking forward to a NGD post!

Hey guys, long time lurker here.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've officially (and finally) joined the 594 club!

I know that I need to "post a pic or it's a hello kitty guitar" but the only thing is the order is in im just waiting for the shipment to arrive to my local store. Depending on PRS's inventory, I was told is can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4-5 months :(

He told me another customer who ordered a new S2 was 8 months back ordered... Wow I hope mine doesn't take that long...

Will post pics as soon as it arrives....cant wait!

Ps. Thanks for answering many of my questions indirectly through this thread!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've officially (and finally) joined the 594 club!

I know that I need to "post a pic or it's a hello kitty guitar" but the only thing is the order is in im just waiting for the shipment to arrive to my local store. Depending on PRS's inventory, I was told is can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4-5 months :(

He told me another customer who ordered a new S2 was 8 months back ordered... Wow I hope mine doesn't take that long...

Congrats! Holding a spot in Club 594 for you!

Woohoo! But the backlog is legit. They can't make guitars fast enough (which is a good thing).

Congrats! Holding a spot in Club 594 for you!

Another club? I’m still waiting for the place with the dining room and golf course for the whatever-the-last-new-model-club was. Or at least the reading room with butlers and comfy leather chairs.

I mean, as far as clubs go, these “I have the same guitar model” clubs aren’t really very impressive clubs. Like, airline clubs are even cooler, and as far as I’m concerned, airline clubs aren’t very good clubs, either (except they do offer coffee and clean bathrooms).

I’ve got a couple of 594s, but I’m not joining the club until the amenities are clearly delineated. :p

I think I want to be in the digits only club. Think my next one, which could be years a way. Maybe even decades haha. I think it will be a 509. Then add a 408 at some point. I’ve already had a 513. After that I’ll just have to see what other “numbered” models they come up with. Oh I also think I need a SC 594 w/Soapbars. So a sc594p90. Still more numbers than letters. And no formal words. Think it will be safe. :)

Back