The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Okay, so now that Bodia and I have you guys all spun up on 594's with Modern finishes, let's bring things back to the Vintage side.

I am a sucker for Goldtops. My Metallic Green Opaque looks amazing, and that killer Goldtop Burst one I had for a bit also looked killer, so I knew a Goldtop 594 would look great. At least I was pretty sure!

Well, here is the first one I have seen:

231668-1_zpsgkcpcvks.jpg

231668-7_zpsgnukamwn.jpg

Oh man, it looks so good it almost brings a tear to my eye! In my opinion that looks REALLY GOOD, a 594 in a Goldtop, wow. (Needs Ivoroid tuners, though!!)

This one is still available, I am not going after it, as I have other secret plans for my Goldtop... ;)

Last post of the night, getting a little carried away tonight...

So I set up my new iPhone 7 Plus over the weekend. I didn't care for the stock Lock Screen, so I changed it to something else:

IMG_0014_zpsezcfcaf3.jpg

Can anyone guess the inspiration for this choice?? :)

Good Morning Pete. :)
Yes, I see a 594 that you just got being the inspiration for your iPhone screen. ;)
Very cool!

This Gold Top looks super cool! Hard to beat a classic color like that! I'll bet it looks killer under stage lights too!

Okay, so now that Bodia and I have you guys all spun up on 594's with Modern finishes, let's bring things back to the Vintage side.

I am a sucker for Goldtops. My Metallic Green Opaque looks amazing, and that killer Goldtop Burst one I had for a bit also looked killer, so I knew a Goldtop 594 would look great. At least I was pretty sure!

231668-1_zpsgkcpcvks.jpg

231668-7_zpsgnukamwn.jpg

Oh man, it looks so good it almost brings a tear to my eye! In my opinion that looks REALLY GOOD, a 594 in a Goldtop, wow. (Needs Ivoroid tuners, though!!)

This one is still available, I am not going after it, as I have other secret plans for my Goldtop... ;)

231668-1_zpsgkcpcvks.jpg

231668-7_zpsgnukamwn.jpg

This almost looks like Egyptian gold
beautiful guitar in any color we've seen so far

231668-1_zpsgkcpcvks.jpg

231668-7_zpsgnukamwn.jpg

Now we're talking! Wilcutt also had a beautiful, lightweight tobacco burst which I just missed out on. :(

I went back to the shop today and spent a little more time with the Fire Red Burst McCarty 594 I have on hold. Wanted to see if I felt I was making an impulse decision or if it truly speaks to me. I also took my '63 Fender CS Tele ...which I might let go to help fund the 594. (I have a Danocaster Tele at Home that gets more love)

Comparing both guitars side-by-side is not entirely fair, but since I am considering robbing Peter to pay Paul (Selling the Fender to help fund the PRS) it made sense. Well, The PRS sort of makes my '63 CS Fender Tele sound rather thin and less versatile than the 594. The 594 can be fatter, warmer, but also spanky with the coil cut mode. I sort of talked myself out of my Tele while realizing the 594 has a degree of sustain and refinement that is richer and fuller in many ways. Even in coil-cut mode, the PRS has a sense of sonic depth and body that the Tele cannot touch. Again, probably not fair to compare a single coil guitar to a Humbucker loaded instrument like the McCarty 594. But for now, I am leaning to letting go of the Tele.

I realize its my decision to make, but I think the McCarty 594 gives me an ideal sonic option to my Danocaster Blackguard Tele and '63 Fender CS Michael Landau Signature Strat. ...That rationale lets me justify selling the Fender '63 CS Tele.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else done the same and regretted it, or done the same and realized it was a great move?

Any thoughts? Has anyone else done the same and regretted it, or done the same and realized it was a great move?

I seriously assessed my guitar situation quite a few years ago, and realized that my PRS guitars sounded better than my other guitars (in my hands and for my playing style), and I sold the others off. No regrets.

Custom Shop this, or Private Stock that, this one has more seconds of sustain, that one doesn't...none of that stuff matters. An instrument either appeals to you for what it is, or not. If yes, and the pull is strong, the real regret might be not buying it when you had the chance.

On the other hand, if the main reason for the sale is impatience to get your hands on the new guitar sooner, and you really would play the Tele, then you might have regret over that.

I seriously assessed my guitar situation quite a few years ago, and realized that my PRS guitars sounded better than my other guitars (in my hands and for my playing style), and I sold the others off. No regrets.

Custom Shop this, or Private Stock that, this one has more seconds of sustain, that one doesn't...none of that stuff matters. An instrument either appeals to you for what it is, or not. If yes, and the pull is strong, the real regret might be not buying it when you had the chance.

On the other hand, if the main reason for the sale is impatience to get your hands on the new guitar sooner, and you really would play the Tele, then you might have regret over that.

Thanks. Great feedback. The reason I am agonizing is because I found the PRS 594 at a time I wasn't shopping nor in a liquid position with discretionary cash on tap. The guitar does speak to me. a friend of mine came with me to check it out and he thought I actually sounded better and more musical on the 594. But I do love my CS Fender Tele too. So ultimately, I need to be patient and 'add' the PRS to my small but carefully chosen collection. Then I'll have time later to make a more informed decision.

I think Les nailed it.

I've gone through a period of gear rationalization over the last couple of years. I had two Teles, but one of them was my first choice every time. Same with my Strats. Second place got sold. No regrets. Why keep it around if you already have a better one?

I like Pete's idea of having a stock 594 and one with hotter pickups. Add those to a Strat and a Tele, and you have every mood covered.

So....I suppose stars and moons align quicker than normal, sometimes.

I put in an order for a 594 of my very own. I HAD to have a Gold Wrap Burst model. I HAD to have a 10-top. I HAD to have another PRS to haunt my daily work hours routine.

I placed this order, fully expecting to wait a long time, and fully expecting to be forced into a daily countdown.

I'm done counting.

Meet my new baby!!!

Last edited:

I put in an order for a 594 of my very own. I HAD to have a Gold Wrap Burst model. I HAD to have a 10-top. I HAD to have another PRS to haunt my daily work hours routine.

I placed this order, fully expecting to wait a long time, and fully expecting to be forced into a daily countdown.

I'm done counting.

Meet my new baby!!!

Nice! Congrats!

I'm done counting.

Meet my new baby!!!

That top is sweet.
Black gold is starting to grow on me.
Maybe on the next one.

I'm done counting.

Meet my new baby!!!

Beautiful!! Congratulations...

I'm done counting.

Meet my new baby!!!

Gorgeous.

Your Black Gold 594 is STUNNING! very rich and regal! Congrats!

I'm done counting.

Meet my new baby!!!

Back