The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

So the next day, I went back to the shop and checked out the PRS McCarty Artist they had. Loved it, but this one was heavier than the Core 10-top. I should also mention, I didn't even know it had Coil Taps. So add that to the list of features that makes this model a tour de force (in my opinion) ....So ...I put a deposit on it. I was trusting my rep when he said they are in somewhat short supply and have been moving very fast. I wasn't planning on buying a new guitar. But this 10-top spoke to me and it priced within reason compared to those Les Paul R9 Relic Historics. ...By a long shot. So again, what a great value! Not cheap, but clearly a Pro/working musicians instrument. I can't wait to put together the remainder of the $$ and bring her home!

Reactions: MNG
Forgive one more quick post by a newbie here. Are any of you here Single Coil players who found the love for the McCarty 594? I went back and tried the coil tap mode and they sound tremendous, but I really wanted the rich, sustain and added punch of a Humbucker ...paired with clarity of single coils. I felt the McCarty 594 gave me that and then some. ...Am I just talking myself into a gorgeous guitar, or does that resonate with anyone else?

Here is the PRS McCarty 594 I put my deposit on. I believe the shade is called Fire Red Burst? I might have chosen a black gold or McCarty sunburst given a choice of ordering but this one looks amazing WOW!! Just wow!!! Although I might prefer gold knobs? It will be coming home with me soon as financially possible! Hopefully within a few weeks! I haven't even seen this color or model in stock on any of the dealer websites. And it weighs under 8lbs according to the shop who measure the weight! Hope you don't mind my gushing and posting rapid fire so quickly, but I am really excited about this guitar!

IMG_4826_zps8bhqokks.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsyba3o01j.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsc4bjbf00.jpg

IMG_0045_zpsdbixalio.jpg

Here is mine, WL 594 in Black Gold.

This model is Great!

Francisco:

Congrats!! That is a killer one.

Those Black Gold Wood Library ones are special in my opinion, as the production version is a "Wrap-Around" Black Gold, with no Faux Maple Binding around the body, but the Wood Library ones have the binding, which is a great look on that guitar! I love the Black Gold finish, and I was pretty close to snagging one of those myself, when I was trying to decide between a couple, I found the Tobacco Burst non 10 Top and decided to get that instead.

Congrats!! Enjoy that beauty!

-Pete

Reactions: FJ4
Here is the PRS McCarty 594 I put my deposit on. I believe the shade is called Fire Red Burst? I might have chosen a black gold or McCarty sunburst given a choice of ordering but this one looks amazing WOW!! Just wow!!! Although I might prefer gold knobs? It will be coming home with me soon as financially possible! Hopefully within a few weeks! I haven't even seen this color or model in stock on any of the dealer websites. And it weighs under 8lbs according to the shop who measure the weight! Hope you don't mind my gushing and posting rapid fire so quickly, but I am really excited about this guitar!

IMG_4826_zps8bhqokks.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsyba3o01j.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsc4bjbf00.jpg

IMG_0045_zpsdbixalio.jpg

Congrats, Groberts! Great top on that one, and love the Fire Red Finish!

My goodness, that black and white fade is magnificent, Bodia!
I hope you really enjoy your new guitars.

My goodness, that black and white fade is magnificent, Bodia!
I hope you really enjoy your new guitars.

Thanks Stephen. I love the little changes Brian did on this run. Totally killer. Love everything about it!

IMG_4826_zps8bhqokks.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsyba3o01j.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsc4bjbf00.jpg

IMG_0045_zpsdbixalio.jpg

Very nice! Welcome to the Forum! A 594 is a great way to hop in! Such a great instrument!

Forgive one more quick post by a newbie here. Are any of you here Single Coil players who found the love for the McCarty 594? I went back and tried the coil tap mode and they sound tremendous, but I really wanted the rich, sustain and added punch of a Humbucker ...paired with clarity of single coils. I felt the McCarty 594 gave me that and then some. ...Am I just talking myself into a gorgeous guitar, or does that resonate with anyone else?

I think you're spot on. And I'm very, very picky about neck pickups.

Following in Bodia's footsteps here, N5D - Brian's Guitars Wood Library 594, "Violet Blue Burst", IRW Neck, BRW Board, 5909 Bridge/5815 LT Neck pickup configuration!

IMG_0007_zpslzq8aorf.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsngelsqkp.jpg

IMG_0011_zpscavic9zr.jpg

0e39d9c0-cc4a-44e7-b571-00c8e3bf0f96_zpszqlebb76.jpg

Killer top, wild and cool finish, sick grain both in the IRW neck, and the BRW Board.

Mean look with the cool finish and the Black pickup rings and uncovered 5909 bridge pickup!

But wait, something does not look quite right, can't quite place what that is... Wait - I got it, it needs one upgrade to be as it should be:

IMG_0013_zps7z075iil.jpg

Yup, looks MUCH better like that!!

IMG_0015_zpsivgpon1b.jpg

IMG_0016_zpsajhkl9wk.jpg

Totally badass now with the Ebony Tuner Knobs! :)

My first Rosewood Necked guitar since I traded my DC 245 Electric Tiger Private Stock to Howard Leese (now his "Root Beer" guitar). I dig it! Nice to have one in the collection again.

Thanks Brian G, for this cool creation, well done!!

Pete,
Another amazing guitar for you! I cannot keep up with your progress!
Enjoy it, along with the other 594's.
Pete,
I'm beginning to think that the number 594 is the number of 594's you want to wind up with. ;)
Stephen

Gorgeous to boot, looking forward to the tone report
Congrats, enjoy ABing

Ok, so I spent a little time yesterday with the Dave's "Regular" WL, and the Brian's "59/09" WL. I'm not much at putting things such as this to words, but I'll make an attempt:

I played the Regular first. Immediately I felt like there was no ground this can't cover, but it really puts me in the "vintage" mind frame. Good ole classic rock and blues come to mind. Some grungy greasy ZZ Top, some cool EC, a little Allman Bros, that kind of stuff. What a great, great guitar. Love everything about it. Nice warm sounds, the splits are AWESOME! I just really dig it.

Grabbed the 59/09 and immediately thought it was considerably lighter in weight. Grabbed the postage scale and laid 'em on it. Regular 7.6 lbs and 59/09 weighed in at 7.4 lbs. Guess there wasn't quite the difference I thought there was. Oh well....

Plugged the 59/09 in and it was 180 degrees from the Regular. Rip roaring rock right out of the gate. Kick up the gain and let 'er rip! I feel that it sounds a little snappier and brighter. I'll attribute that to the silky smooth ebony board vs. the Brazzy board on the Regular. I wouldn't say over the top slamming some Dimebag kind of tones, but this thing is a serious rock monster. I really dig it! Old school Ozzy, Priest, Maiden et al. Brian did a great job on this run. I didn't even bother checking the splits. I was having too much fun on 10!

All things considered, they're both great, and neither will be going anywhere.

Pete, curious to hear your thoughts on that Rosewood neck.

IMG_4826_zps8bhqokks.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsyba3o01j.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsc4bjbf00.jpg

IMG_0045_zpsdbixalio.jpg

you chose an excellent one, congrats
and no need to apologies for gushing over this beauty, I guess it's a pretty normal behavior when you get to experience the PRS bug
enjoy rocking it in good health

Ok, so I spent a little time yesterday with the Dave's "Regular" WL, and the Brian's "59/09" WL. I'm not much at putting things such as this to words, but I'll make an attempt:

I played the Regular first. Immediately I felt like there was no ground this can't cover, but it really puts me in the "vintage" mind frame. Good ole classic rock and blues come to mind. Some grungy greasy ZZ Top, some cool EC, a little Allman Bros, that kind of stuff. What a great, great guitar. Love everything about it. Nice warm sounds, the splits are AWESOME! I just really dig it.

Grabbed the 59/09 and immediately thought it was considerably lighter in weight. Grabbed the postage scale and laid 'em on it. Regular 7.6 lbs and 59/09 weighed in at 7.4 lbs. Guess there wasn't quite the difference I thought there was. Oh well....

Plugged the 59/09 in and it was 180 degrees from the Regular. Rip roaring rock right out of the gate. Kick up the gain and let 'er rip! I feel that it sounds a little snappier and brighter. I'll attribute that to the silky smooth ebony board vs. the Brazzy board on the Regular. I wouldn't say over the top slamming some Dimebag kind of tones, but this thing is a serious rock monster. I really dig it! Old school Ozzy, Priest, Maiden et al. Brian did a great job on this run. I didn't even bother checking the splits. I was having too much fun on 10!

Makes perfect sense, now you have one for classic rock and one for heavier stuff.

Congrats on those two, guys, they are beautiful, both the Black Gold and the Fire Red Burst are spectacular.

Reactions: FJ4
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Honestly, I have played some nice PRS guitars over the years, but none really ever compelled me enough to pull the trigger. (Not because they were bad, but mostly because I have been a single coil player. But this McCarty 594 bridges the gap and the coil tapped sounds are truly musical! But finally, I found a humbucker guitar that seems really balanced and has the clarity that many humbucker loaded guitars have lacked (for my personal preferences). I've heard countless players make humbuckers sing and sound crazy good, but now ...I'm on board!

Good report, thanks Bodia!

Man, you have some lightweight 594's! Most of mine are 8 pounds or heavier. ;) The Faded Red Tiger PS is something like 7 pounds 5 ounces (the GOM was about the same), and I love that about it. This one is 8 pounds on the nose.

My reaction to the Violet Blue Burst Brian's WL with the Rosewood Neck and the 5909 Bridge is very similar to what you describe above. It just wants to rock out with high gain! I expected that, as the previous Short Scale PRSi with Rosewood Necks were like that too. (There was a certain yellow SC Ted that really rocked hard, that I particularly remember! ;))

Also I have been one of the biggest fans of the 5909 Bridge pickup since it came out it 2009. I would bet I am in the top 1 percentile on the planet with regards to how many 5909 equipped guitars and 5909 pickup sets owned! So I knew what I was getting into there, and I love it.

While it totally kills on higher gain tones for both rhythm and lead tones, it does not do the lower gain vintage tones quite as well as the ones with Mahogany Necks and 5815 LT's. But I am totally fine with that, when I want those tones, that guitar for that is just a few steps away, after I decide which one. :)

The guitar has really exceeded expectations, I really love it. Having a guitar with the feel of a Rosewood neck again after not having one for many years is nice! And that guitar just looks totally badass. Like off the charts, one of the best looking PRSi I have ever seen. I was really set on the 594 having a vintage vibe and calling for vintage tones and vintage finishes. But this guitar is opening me up to the notion of 594's with wild looks and higher output pickups! Maybe I should try a set of \m/ pickups in one? ;)

On the amp front, I traded my beloved Bogner Helios in on this 594, and got the new 3rd Power Citizen Gain CSR 40 Watt Head, the new 2 Channel Citizen Gain. It is a brand new model model, I think I got one of the first production ones in the country. Wow, great amp! Does the lower volume thing better than the Bogner, with the Hybrid Master thing going on, and has more gain on tap. I think the Bogner had great organic Marshally tones, I wish I had them both here at once to A/B them in that regard. But point being that I am really enjoying the collection of 594's through the Citizen Gain, a GREAT platform to compare them with. Also still really digging that Yamaha THR-100D...

New 594 with the new Amp, a great combination!

IMG_0017_zpsvdhfx53q.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsvputlbxq.jpg

The board is a lot darker than it looks on the bottom pic. It is pretty dark, but with a lot of great grain. Brian G picks some killer woods!

On another note, I got the Vintage Sunburst with the ThroBak Peter Green (PG-102's) pickups in there. But the magnet was not flipped electronically. It sounds so good not flipped, with both pickups blended, that I don't think I want to mess with it by flipping it, not just yet anyway. Those are 8.6K Bridge, 8.2K neck, with long A5 magnets. They sound great as kind of "middle of the road" PAF's, not low output at all, a significant amount hotter than the LT's, not incredibly high output either, lower than the 5909 or the High Wind Lollar, still very vintage in tones. They have a different tone than the Lollars, I like them both. I think they will be staying in there for a while, not out of phase!!

The PS got a new bridge in a different material in the Nickel Finish (as seen here a few pages ago), and a setup, and man it sounds KILLER!! Those 5815's in that one are definitely staying right where they are. That guitar is so alive and resonant, it is just a fantastic guitar, perhaps my best ever. Plays great, amazing diversity of tone. That one can go from Vintage Tones to High Gain, it all sounds great. The neck seems a little beefier too, I like it.

I know I said I wasn't going to mess with the pickups in the Tobacco one because it sounded so good, but I am going to put my Kinman Humless Humbucker shaped P-90's in there, the ones I posted on Hansomatic's "Gravity" thread. They were in my b3 SL Goldtop, but I am trading that for something (another amp, is being special ordered, so won't show up here for a while), so I am going to put them in the Tobacco one. P-90's, woo-hoo!

Having some fun with the 594's, when I get that back, I will have 5 at home with 5 different sets of pickups in them - all the same but very different! :)

(And again no, I am not selling any of the stock pickups...)

Back