The "New Forum Guitar" idea.... too soon?

sergiodeblanc

First off, before this goes another f@$kin' second, let me say that I don't want to hear any other ideas, or reference ANY other thread about things that may have happened, or emotions people are still carrying around from previous incarnations of what the concept of what a "Forum Guitar" should be... This is a different idea.

What if I (not an employee of PRS or of really anybody right now, with zero affiliation with any marketing agency, and nothing to gain outside of injecting the world and this forum with some much needed positive energy) bought a cheap-ish SE with the intent to add something to it, and sign it, and then ship it to the next person who signs up for this social experiment, who will then in turn do the same and ship it to the next person?

What if by the end of this we could get enough trusted forum members to agree to do this and follow through that we could garner the interest of the PTC and PRS to clear coat the sucker and put it up for auction for charity?

It's just an idea I'm throwing out there.

It would require some effort.

Even if you could only afford to get it shipped to you so you could snap a pic and sign it, would you be into it?

Please keep in mind that I am one of the poorer of our forum's demographic, I can't really afford to send this off (or at all) and not ever let it see its intended destination.

I suppose a signup list would be in order, but before that I want to see if we would all be interested in the idea, or if I"m just being idealistic.

Bad idea? Good idea? A total nuclear explosion to my face idea?

What say you?

I think it's a cool idea. If we plan, I bet we can get the guitar around rather large swatches of the country without shipping. There are good clusters of forum members all over. If we can coordinate a schedule...

Great idea. But we should chip in for it so you don't have a burden paying for it.

I'm in

There's a lot water between me and you so shipping it here and back wouldn't be practical, but I would be delighted to chip into the purchase and put towards an upgrade.

Last edited:
Sergio,

I like the idea. And for what it's worth, I'm probably in a similar spot to you when it comes to finances. But I'd be willing to chip in what little I could.

Lloyd

Great idea. But we should chip in for it so you don't have a burden paying for it.

I'm in!

Edit: I had an idea for the auction part of this thing. We donate the guitar back to PRS with the intention of it being auctioned off at the 2014 PRS Experience (like before the main Friday or Saturday night show) for charity. That way, we give back to PRS for a change and some of us can actually be at the auction!

Second edit: if we get enough people willing to buy in, Sergio can find a better SE and then our starting platform is that much better. I commit to $50.00. If just a few more commit even half or a third of that, Sergio can buy a NEW SE for us to mod!

Third edit: Sergio picks the guitar and approves/disapproves all mods. No discussion. No bickering. Final answer.

Last edited:
I would happily donate money to buy the guitar.

Maybe we do a signing at the Experience in September?

In any case, I'm good for a donation,

Bfly

Awesome idea! Please count me in. Everybody who touches the guitar should post a pic of themselves with it documenting its travels.

I can see Paul on stage at Exp2014 saying " THIS is a true community guitar. It has been passed from member to member on the official PRS forum. They modified it, they took their pictures with it, they signed it and then our finish department clear coated it. 100% of what we get for this guitar goes to charity. What do you bid?"

Inspired, my friend, truly inspired. I'm excited all over again. Don't let my ideas for this thing run over yours. This is your baby. I just want to help in any way you need me!

Bill

Edit: I tried to send this as a PM to Sergio, but understandably, his inbox is full :)

Last edited:
From what I see, there are 2,654 Forum members. If each member is required to donate $10 for this cause, we will have $26,540 in no time. If we make this an annual requirement, before you know it we could be supplying the entire nation of Biafra with donations of PRS guitars in no time. (They would have to come up with their own amps and electricity of course).

I volunteer to the be the Treasurer.:wave:

Back