The History of Paul's Personal Players Past to Present

Rockmark

He must have started w Fenders and whatever else when he first decided to take up playing guitar as a youth. I wonder what his chronological history has been regarding his own journey of ownership and learning. I know at one time he played and touted ME1's and of course he must have played a cu24 before that, but I wonder. Did he make and play a Santana for himself when he came up w Carlos'? Anyone know this history? He has stated that he does not collect or save his guitars. I wonder if anyone has actually tracked this info. What does he prefer to play today? I am not even sure of that. :cool::oops:

He has stated that he does not collect or save his guitars. I wonder if anyone has actually tracked this info.
Many years ago, I heard him tell a story about Edge trying his person dragon and wanting it. At the time he didn’t want to sell his guitar, so he said he would make Edge one of his own. We all know Edge isn’t playing PRS. Paul is smart enough to learn that lesson first try. And he knows he can always make himself a better guitar.

So...now he is unlikely to have more than two guitars of his own that he is playing: the last one and the next one. I believe his wife claimed ownership of his original Paul’s guitar to protect it from sale.

Two relatively recent ones
266b4IG.jpg

Cool video.

Also, maybe they tried not to let us know that it was Bryan Ewald playing the demo at the end. The plaid shirt, fingers, and audio give it away. He could bang a trash can on the street and make it sound so good you'd want to buy it.

He has his own style!

Why, the Paul’s Guitar of course. :D

The video was great. So we see his first players and I know he played ME1's for some time. So I still have the question. What did Paul play between his first two on the video and the ME? And then what came between the ME and Paul's guitars. :cool:

I believe he played bass in a band for awhile in his early years, although I can't remember what brand of bass.

I saw him playing a Dragon many years ago around 92 or93 if I remember right. Was a gig at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC with his band. I think he was also playing the HG solid state amps and sounded really good. Wonder who ended up with that one.

I saw him playing a Dragon many years ago around 92 or93 if I remember right. Was a gig at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC with his band. I think he was also playing the HG solid state amps and sounded really good. Wonder who ended up with that one.
He played that Dragon for a long time. He was still playing it when I saw him in Pennsylvania in the late 90s.

MANY years ago, long before the "Paul's Guitar" or the ME 1, he was at the Guitar Center in Hollywood, touting and performing with, the original Swamp Ash Special.

What’s also interesting is Paul’s choice of woods.

As far as I know, it’s almost always maple top and mahogany back for the body.

For the necks he used to be big on pernambuco when it was available. Lately it seems to be Chaltecoco, a relative of pernambuco. I remember he’s fond of BRW too from the ME1 days. For the fingerboard he’s big on Honduran RW.

Last edited:
What’s also interesting is Paul’s choice of woods.

As far as I know, it’s almost always maple top and mahogany neck for the body.

For the necks he used to be big on pernambuco when it was available. Lately it seems to be Chaltecoco, a relative of pernambuco. I remember he’s for BRW too. For the fingerboard he’s big on Honduran RW.
Based on all the guitars you’ve bought from him ;):D

The video was great. So we see his first players and I know he played ME1's for some time. So I still have the question. What did Paul play between his first two on the video and the ME? And then what came between the ME and Paul's guitars. :cool:
I think this may have been somewhere between the ME and the PG. This is a PS signature prototype, meaning (I suppose) that instead of a wide 408 for the bridge pickup found on the Signature Limited run, he specified narrow 408’s for both pickups. In other words it’s like a prototype to the initial Paul’s Guitar.
Y7aoXOJ.png
G9tYtPd.jpg
xsHltaf.jpg
NY2K9FO.jpg

Back