Upgrade to Paul's Bridge on McCarty?

Is The Juice Really Worth The Cost And The Squeeze? I Am Curious As To How Much "Improvement" Is Perceived Vs. Actual?

Is The Juice Really Worth The Cost And The Squeeze? I Am Curious As To How Much "Improvement" Is Perceived Vs. Actual?
You'll have to take a bite and see for yourself. There's nothing that hasn't already been said that's going to make up your mind for you.

I definitely think either the PRS or the John Mann are worth it for a really good guitar that you already LOVE.

I would not buy a new bridge hoping it'll turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

I have four Bernie Marsdens. All really good guitars. New PRS and MannMade bridges improved the tone of all them. But those guitars already sounded excellent.

Two have the PRS bridge and two have the MannMade bridge because I like them both.

I think there is a greater improvement in tone from the MannMade bridge with the adjustable brass saddles.

But I love the elegance of the PRS with just the brass inserts and it feels so smooth against my hand.

It also makes a noticeable improvement in the tone.

Last edited:
You'll have to take a bite and see for yourself. There's nothing that hasn't already been said that's going to make up your mind for you.

I definitely think either the PRS or the John Mann are worth it for a really good guitar that you already LOVE.

I have four Bernie Marsdens. All really good guitars. New PRS and MannMade bridges improved the tone of all them. But those guitars already sounded excellent.

Two have the PRS bridge and two have the MannMade bridge because I like them both.

I think there is a greater improvement in tone from the MannMade bridge with the adjustable brass saddles.

But I love the elegance of the PRS with just the brass inserts and it feels so smooth against my hand.

I Agree With Everything You Said And Don't Doubt The Improvement. IME, The Improvement Isn't Always Much And Again I Go Back To Actual % Of Improvement Vs. Perceived Improvement Coupled With The Cost, Etc On USA Models. :)

I Agree With Everything You Said And Don't Doubt The Improvement. IME, The Improvement Isn't Always Much And Again I Go Back To Actual % Of Improvement Vs. Perceived Improvement Coupled With The Cost, Etc On USA Models. :)
Cost/value is, of course, is relative, impossible to quantify, and is sometimes based on how badly an improvement that's subtle is wanted by the player.

If I had a guitar that sounded a bit plinky - this, to me is a problem with the older stop tail bridge - I'd get the new one because it fixes that problem, and the fundamental frequency of the string sounds a titch better/more solid. Fixing a perceived problem is worthwhile to me.

Would it be worth it for anyone else? I guess it depends on the player's priorities. It comes down to a value judgment that's different for everyone.

No two of us are 100% alike.

Cost/value is, of course, is relative, impossible to quantify, and is sometimes based on how badly an improvement that's subtle is wanted by the player.

If I had a guitar that sounded a bit plinky - this, to me is a problem with the older stop tail bridge - I'd get the new one because it fixes that problem, and the fundamental frequency of the string sounds a titch better/more solid.

Would it be worth it? I guess it depends on the player's priorities.

It comes down to a value judgment that's different for everyone.

No two of us are 100% alike.
I Get All Of That...:)

Again, I Wonder How Much Of That Change Is Actual Vs. Perceived? I Guess The Only Way To Know Is Switch And Record. My Thought Is Could A String Change, String Type, Brand, Etc Be As Impactful? At The Price Point Of Guitar I Am Referring To (USA) I Would Think That The Standard Hardware Would Be The Best PRS Had To Offer. Just Thinking Out Loud Here... :)

I Get All Of That...:)

Again, I Wonder How Much Of That Change Is Actual Vs. Perceived? I Guess The Only Way To Know Is Switch And Record. My Thought Is Could A String Change, String Type, Brand, Etc Be As Impactful? At The Price Point Of Guitar I Am Referring To (USA) I Would Think That The Standard Hardware Would Be The Best PRS Had To Offer. Just Thinking Out Loud Here... :)
The new bridge with the brass inserts does indeed come standard on all of the Core one-piece stop tail guitars. There's no need to buy a new bridge on the recent models, they already have it.

As you know, I do mixing, mastering, composing, audio postproduction for a living. 32 years of experience have taught me to trust what I'm hearing. It seems that clients also trust what I'm hearing, because they usually come back with important projects.

I don't think I experience confirmation bias. But I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Others like to verify what they're hearing with measurements - that's also great. Whatever works I'm good with.

Last edited:

I’ve found this to be very true as well when I upgraded the bridge on my ‘93 CU22…….

The new bridge with the brass inserts does indeed come standard on all of the Core one-piece stop tail guitars. There's no need to buy a new bridge on the recent models, they already have it.

I don't think I experience confirmation bias. But I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Others like to verify what they're hearing with measurements - that's also great. Whatever works I'm good with.

I don't think Paul would be putting those bridges on Core guitars unless he was convinced they made the guitar sound "better".

Probably a whole gang of players gave their feedback too and decided it was good move.

I don't think Paul would be putting those bridges on Core guitars unless he was convinced they made the guitar sound "better".

Probably a whole gang of players gave their feedback too and decided it was good move.
I agree. But there are skeptics who think that regardless, PRS does new things merely to sell more guitars. I don't think that's true, but sometimes a little unbiased discussion is useful.

My experience with PRS after 32 years of playing them is that the improvements are real, and you can hear them. I think Paul really is after the holy grail thing, and that's why PRS guitars are very, very fine instruments. If that also helps sell the guitars, more power to him.

Last edited:
I can’t quantify it. But I could hear an improvement to my ear on a McCarty 2015 Artist edition. I was satisfied with the upgrade. I can see why it’s the stock option nowadays and Paul’s bridge of choice on the guitar that bares his name.

I guess I'm going to find out because I ordered one today. The only difference now is I'm going to put it on this McCarty instead.

TRGVR8Eh.jpg

Back