Upgrade to Paul's Bridge on McCarty?

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
I've been a fan of the McCarty model since it's inception and like the vintage appointments. With that being said, I'm wondering if there is value in upgrading the original wraparound bridge with the current Paul's bridge w/brass inserts. The bridge is expensive enough that I don't want to do it for no reason but I can't help wonder if it would make one of my favorite guitars even better.

Has anyone made this upgrade and noticed a significant difference? Because threads are worthless without pics, here's the McCarty in question.

WtZVyREh.jpg

Sirmtpah.jpg

That looks like a really special guitar and I'd say spending $160 on the brass infused tailpiece is probably worth it.

After changing the stock bridge on my bernie marsden to the new bridge with brass inserts I felt the tone improved.

Slightly thicker, more solid tone. Less string rattle, especially from the treble strings.

It's an improvement.

No problem with intonation. Can be adjusted close enough for me.

And it feels great against my hand. Smooth.

Last edited:
I can’t get you pics, but I can say I’ve upgraded two Singlecut guitars and a McRosie like yours to the PRS adjustable bridge with brass inserts. I loved the upgrade. It allows me to adjust the intonation on all guitars and keep the bridge closer to the posts than if I just adjusted the solid one piece bridge. I plan to do the same for any wrap around bridges I buy in the future.

Thanks for the info. It's always difficult to justify upgrades to guitar when you're already happy with it. I guess the upgrade would be cheaper than buying another guitar so there's that.
The improvement to the sound of the treble strings made it worth it to me.

And it feels smooth and polished against my hand.

I think it's made from a single chunk of aluminum that's been machined and polished. Not cast.

Classy.

Last edited:
I have a Paul's bridge on my '97 McCarty that has always been thin sounding. The Paul's bridge fattened it up and I think it is a bit clearer sounding. I like it a lot on this guitar. If you can afford it, I'd give it a try.

I had an older PRS adjustable bridge, with nickel plated saddles and it dulled the sound a bit.

I’m going to agree with Lew and Senor Verde on the thicker tone, and overall improvement, tonally. I replaced the standard with the Paul’s on my DC-22. I seem to recall Hans being on the hunt for them before they became available through the store.

Last edited:
What are you aiming for? Because the brass inserts are an improvement to me, but it is subtle. The adjustable bridges like MannMade or PRS do add a beefier sound
I'm not sure what I'm aiming for exactly. I rarely make changes to my guitars if like them but I've been curious about this bridge since they came out. My assumption was that there was a reason for the updated bridge and it might be worth trying. The adjustable bridges are nice but I wouldn't add one to a guitar unless I had trouble with intonation.

I think you would be pleased. I upgraded a McCarty with these and noticed the better sustain and slight warmth. It was subtle and not super noticeable unless you were A/Bing them side by side. At worst you could resell it and recoup most of your money

I’ve wondered this exact thing ever since I bought an SE Paul’s. That thing sounds so good I always wondered how much the bridge added. And fwiw I confirmed with PRS the SE’s do use the exact same bridge. Anyway I have a McCarty soapbar with a irw neck. It’s the only other prs I have with a stoptail. And I’ve wanted to try a Paul’s bridge out and see what I thought.

I’ve wondered this exact thing ever since I bought an SE Paul’s. That thing sounds so good I always wondered how much the bridge added. And fwiw I confirmed with PRS the SE’s do use the exact same bridge. Anyway I have a McCarty soapbar with a irw neck. It’s the only other prs I have with a stoptail. And I’ve wanted to try a Paul’s bridge out and see what I thought.
The SE's bridge is the same bridge as on the USA guitars that use a wraparound bridge/tailpiece?

So they're both made in Asia?

Seems that the SE bridges are the same size but different. But I'm not certain about this and have NOT asked PRS about it, as YOU have.

But the SE bridges seem more prone to the plated finish peeling - whereas the finish on the wraparound bridge on my '95 CU22 wore through smoothly without peeling.

Like this:

In any case, the Paul bridge with the brass inserts is a nice upgrade over either.

Last edited:
The SE's bridge is the same bridge as on the USA guitars that use a wraparound bridge/tailpiece?

So they're both made in Asia?

Seems that the SE bridges are the same size but different. But I'm not certain about this and have NOT asked PRS about it, as YOU have.

But the SE bridges seem more prone to the plated finish peeling - whereas the finish on the wraparound bridge on my '95 CU22 wore through smoothly without peeling.

In any case, the Paul bridge with the brass inserts is a nice upgrade over either.
I think you might be talking about a different bridge than the OP was asking about ( unless I’m confused). Sounds like you’re talking about the solid machined wraparound bridge with brass studs, as opposed to the wraparound bridge with individual intonatable brass saddles

vs

no. PRS claims that the wraparound Pauls bridge is the same on the core and SE. It's suppose to be the studs that differ.
So are both made in Asia? Or are both made in the USA?

I didn't think PRS used parts made in the USA on imports.

But I sure could be wrong about that.

I do prefer the brass studs. Use them on all of my PRS guitars with a wraparound bridge/tailpiece.

They might even improve the tone a little.

Was reading about the Robben Ford model of the McCarty, and it uses the brass infused wrap around tailpiece.

In the video introducing that guitar, Robben and Paul pass the guitar back and forth and discuss everything and Robben says he thinks the brass infused tailpiece sounds a little better.

So are both made in Asia? Or are both made in the USA?

I didn't think PRS used parts made in the USA on imports.

But I sure could be wrong about that.

I do prefer the brass studs. Use them on all of my PRS guitars with a wraparound bridge/tailpiece.

They might even improve the tone a little.

I found the email. This was what was said about the bridge.

“The bridge used on the SE Paul's Guitar is the same bridge used on the Core Paul's Guitars.”

Now as to where they’re made… I have no idea, but have read some rumors.

I found the email. This was what was said about the bridge.

“The bridge used on the SE Paul's Guitar is the same bridge used on the Core Paul's Guitars.”

Now as to where they’re made… I have no idea, but have read some rumors.
Ok. That clears it up. We’re talking about only the Paul bridge.

All of this bridge talk has me now considering buying one of the stop tails with the brass inserts and one with the movable brass saddles to try them out on the two guitars I have with this style of bridge on it.

I put the Tone Pros locking studs on my CU22 years ago. The bridge had a little lean forward to it and those studs took care of that in no time. Thankfully they are not something that needs adjusted frequently because it is a bit of a pain to adjust them.

Back