The General Goodness Of PRS, Specifically The P22

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
As some of you may remember, my '12 P22 ("Mr.P") met with misadventure this summer at a July 4th gig. Was hanging over the rail by the cable in the piezo jack, keeping him from falling about 20 feet into the lake. He didn't go for a swim, but he took some heavy hits on the finish and the piezo was acting wonky. PTC has had him since early August, so he's healing but still in MD.

In the meantime I started looking at others on the usual sites, as acoustic tones play a factor at every gig my band plays. I found "Jade" on ebay. He's a '14 model, and was in next to mint condition. I made the guy an offer and he accepted, so I've been playing this one for a couple of months now. They definitely made a few changes from '12 to '14. This one has a rosewood headstock overlay, and solid birds instead of the hollow birds. The pickups are just listed as "P22," so I'm not sure exactly what they are. The important point is that it sounds and plays like a PRS does, and works like a PRS does.
r1jHjKl.jpg

mgyF7Rd.jpg

PRS's are VERY consistent , but even Paul will admit every guitar has it's own personality .. wood is like that .. I hope you get Mr. P back soon
I have 3 Custom 22 variants , love them all ..wildly different beasts

Last edited:
I love my P22 guitars as well as the hollow body guitars with the piezo system in them. I have a 2015 P22 Trem that has squabbin pickups in it that look like yours. Mine are uncovered 57/08s. I have not pulled them out to see what they say on the back. The hang tag says they are 57/08s. This one is a custom color too. It is a charcoal burst over a 10 top. I am not a huge fan of black guitars anymore but this one caught my attention right away.

Back