The downside to multiple guitars......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcm_guitar, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Matte82

Matte82 New Member

Fair enough. And I was mostly just being facetious. Probably even a bit jealous of your self control. Mostly just trying to be an enabler of this addiction many of us seem to be bitten by. So I hope you didn’t take anything I said as critical. Indeed enjoying playing music is what is paramount for anyone imo. And some people like many colors to choose from. And some people can somehow get by with only a couple. As long as you’re enjoying the journey, nothing else matters. :)

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  2. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

I didn't take any of it as critical - just expressing a different preference. To take your logic in a slightly different direction, some people like many colors to choose from. But instead of saying some people can somehow get by with only a couple, I'd put it more in terms of some people can't handle too many because they get so caught up looking at all of the pretty colors they forget to paint anything with them. I seem to be thusly limited.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE guitars. There's a side of me that would love to have walls full of them, I pretty much never go into a guitar store and don't wish I was walking out with another one. I just know that they end up being more of a handicap to me than a help. I'm jealous of those of you who can own a bunch of them and find good uses for them and not be hampered by the mental clutter - I sort of wish I was built that way. But when I'm honest with myself, it's pretty clear I'm not.

I'm the same way with effects too, BTW. I like some reverb and a bit of delay in dialing in my basic sound (but I almost never touch them once I have them set) and then I like an OD pedal I can turn on and off depending on circumstances (and a boost basically just to equalize output between my single coil and humbucker options). But I don't have any modulation effects, no chorus, no flanger, no tremolo, etc. I have a wah pedal mostly because of memories of my youth - if I use it once every month or two it's a lot. I remember when I was first learning to play, I'd get hold of a fuzz box or a chorus pedal and I'd just make a bunch of noise to hear all of the swirly fuzzy stuff but would forget to actually PLAY anything with it. I'm not a beginner anymore but I still seem to have that same disease. I'm better with fewer options. I'd probably be best off with just a single guitar, an acoustic. But I just like the sound of an electric guitar, and my ability (limited as it is) to make it sing and scream a bit, too much to go THAT minimalist.

One more clue: I'm a much much MUCH better photographer than a musician. I've been doing it for even longer, had a similarly long layoff from doing it seriously, but have made money and pleased a lot of people (including myself) with my photography. But after about 50 years of that, I'm still a much better black and white photographer than color. I've gotten pretty good with color - the possibilities don't overwhelm me like they used to - but B&W still feels right and natural and an easier way for ME to arrange the elements into a pleasing image. So I guess I'm just wired funny! ;)

-Ray

#82 RaySachs, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Alnus Rubra likes this.
  3. Ned Nerdin

Ned Nerdin New Member

I went to a Santana concert in Vegas a few years ago and became in love with PRS guitars. I bought my PRS in April of 2016 and though I own over 20 guitars, my PRS customer 24 has become my main go to guitar. I love the feel, the sound, especially with the Archon 25 watt amps is just what I have been searching for over my 50 year guitar playing experience. I am currently looking at possibly getting a PRS Hollowbody II Carved Figured Maple Top with Nickel Hardware Charcoal Burst but am holding out for a different color. My current PRS is Bloodorange and I love that color. Keep making great guitars Paul and company.

Matte82 and Alnus Rubra like this.
  4. markie

markie Zombie 27 - DFZ

The down side is.................. Changing strings :eek:

5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Ain't that the truth!

6. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

That’s why you have to invite your friends over.

bodia, Alnus Rubra and sergiodeblanc like this.
  7. dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar New Member

Would you REALLY trust your friends to change the strings on your guitars? I'd invite my friends over, I'd enjoy their company, I let them play any guitar I have, but nobody but me is changing the strings. I just don't trust anyone else.

I think I have a problem........

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  8. markie

markie Zombie 27 - DFZ

Tried that with Sleeby. He did one guitar & played it. He then proceeded to test each guitar after I restrung them! :rolleyes:

9. veinbuster

You just put him on the wrong end of the assembly line.
    I would have done at least 4, as long as you didn't put any perny in front of me too soon.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  10. veinbuster

I have some very trust worthy friends. GCRon would even tweak the truss rod if needed and make everything perfect.

Alnus Rubra likes this.