The best P90s

zebraprs

Hey gang, I just picked up a nice '99 Custom 22 Soapbar. As you know it has Seymour Duncan P90s. Are there any Better P90s out there that I should consider?

Please discuss... :)
DSC_9512.jpg

I had one just like yours!

There are lots of other really good P-90s out there, but I will also say that I love the stock Duncan P-90s that come on the guitar. So there are different, but not necessarily better, ones.

The Lollars and the Thorns are very good, though I do think the guitar sounds great stock as well. Different can be great if you're not happy with what's there, or it can just be...different.

I have a '65 SG Special with the original P-90 pickups that a lot of vendors model their P-90s after. I honestly prefer the Duncans because they're clearer and brighter.

Last edited:
Congrats...I almost got that one (I assume from Brian's)...but got the KL380 instead (which has the same 3P90 config). Having played it for a week or so...no way I would consider changing them personally.

My experience with Duncan P90s has been mainly with Hamers. The stock pickups were not for my tastes. Over time, I have replaced the stock SDs with Lollars, Fralins, Thorns, Wolfetones and Gibson Custom Shop P90s. All were improvements (IMO).

But if someone is looking for the raw sort of Mountain sound, the Duncans should be fine.......I say that without playing those pickups in that guitar.

""So there are different, but not necessarily better, ones."" ---this.....

Nice axe!
I have a triple p90 guitar from another American company that has become my #1 the last few months. Awesome set up!

I heard Lindy Fralin makes a bitchin' P90...was considering swapping the ones in my SE CU22 Semi Hollow Soapbar, but the damn thing sounds so good already. I saw that one @ Brians too, drooled significantly...

I love P-90s, and have tried several. The soapbar in my 59 Les Paul Jr. sounds incredible to me, but is pretty noisy. Years ago, pickups weren't produced very consistently. Some were killer, and some were mediocre. As far as replacements, I've had Thorns, Fralins, Duncan's, and Lollars. They all have their own vibe. If noise is a concern, Lindy and Ron Thorn wind amazing P-90 humbuckers. Neither are remotely close sound-wise to those lifeless Gibson P-100s. Lindy's sounded like great P-90s without the hum. The Thorns sounded like kickass humbuckers. The singlecoil Thorns sounded like Soapies on steroids. Great tone, but BIG. Singlecoil Fralins sounded closest to vintage to my ears. The Lollars I had sounded "sweet" although I know he can do different winds for different tones. The Duncans PRS uses are all (I believe) neck models. To my ears all of the "boutique" soapies sounded better than the stock PRS Duncans. HOWEVER...the Duncans sounded good. Very good. I'd be inclined to say the typical Duncan P-90 (and I've had 3 different sets) is probably better than the average (even vintage!) Gibson soapbar. Like I alluded to earlier, some of the vintage Gibsons sound absolutely amazing. But not all of them do.

As for other recommendations, I've heard guys rave about Throbak and Wolfetone P-90s, though I've never played either. They both wind awesome humbuggies though.

I liked the Duncans quite well but David Allen's DAllen CoolCats ended up in mine and they are perfect for the classic rock and modern country stuff I do.

He makes the StrayCats which are the 50s smoky blues/jazz P90s, and the CoolCats which are the 60s rockin' crunchy P90s.

I LOVE the CoolCats. My Korina McSoapy does a lot of my swampy Drop D duties and on songs like Tim McGraw's "Real Good Man" it kills.

Is the SE One P90 a PRS or a Seymour Duncan?
Neither. It's from GHS/GFS or whatever the name is I can't exactly recall, the maker of all of the SE pups (I'm pretty sure).

Last edited:
Back