swamp ash electronics

henryr

I'm considering getting a swamp ash special and have a question about the electronics. Most of the ones I've seen have three pups, a three way toggle, a volume knob and a push/pull tone control which allows coil splitting. What I don't understand is how the three pups are controlled.

My Se custom 24, unlike the swamp ash, has only two pups, and like the swamp ash, has a 3 way switch, a volume knob and a push/pull tone knob. This combination allows use of the neck or bridge pups individually or combined and the push/pull tone knob allows coil splitting the individual or combined pups.

How does this same combination of controls work on the three pup swamp ash? Is there another switch on the swamp ash that I haven't been able to see?

Look here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/switching.html

About 80% of the way down. "Swamp Ash Special (Mid 2003 - 2005)", or "Swamp Ash Special (1996 - Mid 2003)"

EDIT: I have the 2006-and beyond model with the 5-way blade switch. Very different combos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The up position description is a little confusing to me in that neck and treble are in the description. I thought neck and treble were synonymous. The down position makes sense in the use of treble and bass. Should UP position 2 read neck single coil, middle pickup and bass humbucker?

• Position 1: Full treble humbucker and middle pickup
  • Position 2: Neck single coil, middle pickup and treble humbucker
  • Position 3: Neck coil and middle pickup

The pickup nearest the bridge is the treble pickup.

The pickup nearest the neck is the bass pickup.

So interpret it this way:

Position 1: Full bridge humbucker and middle pickup
Position 2: Neck single coil, middle pickup and bridge humbucker
Position 3: Neck coil and middle pickup

Thanks again. So if I understand, the terminology, could also be written as follows?

Position 1: Full treble humbucker and middle pickup

Position 2: Bass single coil, middle pickup and full treble humbucker
Position 3: Bass single coil and middle pickup

Yes, except: I'm not sure about position 3, whether it uses just one of the coils or the full humbucker of the bass (neck) pickup. The wording is ambiguous. Looking at the previous generation terminology, I lean towards it being the Bass single coil as you have written.

I'm sure its clear I'm pretty stupid when it comes to electric guitars. I always thought the treble pup was nearest to the neck and the bass pup was nearest to the bridge. I also have to agree that the description on the PRS site was ambiguous. I'm trying to learn and must thank you again your for your patients and help.

The only guitar thing I can do is a decent setup on acoustics due to years of making bone and MOP nuts and saddles, installing them on acoustics and setting the action. I have also tweaked the action, on my two electrics, which I think worked out well.

Back