Sure, I’ve Spent A Ton Of Money, But...

I spent most of my music life playing other peoples’ music. Only really copped Neal Schon’s rig - at that point in time - because I discovered what a stereo rig does to your guitar ego (exponential expansion). That was the first time I felt that I sounded really good, 38 Special/Eric Clapton/SRV/and all other covered bands be damned...except Journey. :D From there it was about my sound, not theirs. Didn’t want to sound like other guitarists in the band, didn’t want to play like other guitarists, either. That was translated in my gear choices always using what I’d already accumulated. That got weird at times! Heck, it’s probably weird now, but I embrace weird and enjoy playing my own music the way my weird mind interprets it. I’m continually surprised when my non public videos get 100+ views.

When you’re in a band, you aren’t always buying gear you want to buy. Something stupid, like PA, breaks or you fry a crossover, or need more cables (always) and someone has to buy it or you don’t play. So have I spent a metric butt-load over 40 years? Yeah, but that doesn’t make me special, just a lame musician.

:eek:

Just quoting his tag line…. It’s obvious that I don’t follow his advice! Lol But I do like the concept, like the Einstein quote “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” A lot of wisdom in that line, and the understanding that “enough” varies with the undertaking!

I have much more gear than I use, but I enjoy what I have and it paid for itself through gigging so there’s no “spending the rent” guilt here. For me, having tools opens the possibilities, to others it’s unnecessary clutter in their search for focus. For Serg, it’s that favorite guitar and amp (or two) that works for what he loves, and I love that. For us, the toolbox is different. I think having what you need is the goal, however much or little that is.

Actually, I think we’re both agreeing, just stating it in different ways!

Needs are going to vary from player to player, and project to project. And of course, like you my gear earns its own way. Ultimately, the gear has to function for our creative needs.

I love the Einstein quote, though I think in context, he was restating Occam’s Razor relative to his own thinking (pun intended).

Actually, I think we’re both agreeing, just stating it in different ways!

Yes sir. That happens a lot. We have a lot in common, methinks!

I love the Einstein quote, though I think in context, he was restating Occam’s Razor relative to his own thinking (pun intended).

I’ve never found the exact context of the quote, honestly, but I’d certainly accept that it is, considering Mr E’s other work and the usefulness of not adding flufff to your possibilities.

I do enjoy hearing your perspectives, Les!

First of all...I dig the topic dude.

As far as "tone chasing" goes...it's not my thing. Don't get me wrong, I do love, and I mean LOVE the tones of my guitar heroes. That being said, I know, no matter how much gear I have...I'll never have their hands or more importantly their ability to express themselves like they do. Good news is...after just a few short years, I've realized I don't want to sound exactly like my heroes anymore. I want to sound like myself and be happy with what I hear.
Sure, I love trying to learn a particular piece of music. But mostly I learn those pieces to improve MY playing, by taking what they did and incorporate it in some way and make it my own, or just to add to my musical vocabulary.

I will have a DGT eventually. But honestly, Big Momma II (my beloved 245 SE for you new peeps) and my little THR10II fit my situation perfectly at the moment. No doubt, it would be cool to have a gazillion cool guitars and tons of gear, but realistically, I'm just a ham fisted, bedroom wanker that gets "option paralysis" if there are more than 4 or 5 choices. So, for now...if I'm honest with myself, I'm completely satisfied with what I have. There I said it.

Last edited:
Lol, while I suppose there was a bit about finding your own tone and sh!t like that...

I was just more thinking about how due to my circumstances, I don’t really have to wonder what a real 50s-60s vintage piece would do for me. It’s just the direct comparison isn’t really there for me because I don’t listen to that stuff, and since it’s the in between clean and really dirty tones that are the hardest to get.

Yeah, same here. Born in 70. Burned out on Classic Rock by '82. Never needed that classic "mid-range growl" on guitars or amps. Heck, even Eddie modernized his gear and tone after VHII. I admit to having been a slave to Charvel as recently as 2018, but the last few years I have really just sought out things I like instead of things I feel I should have.

I think I got to the same place you did, but via a different route. My ideal tone is in my head, but it turns out the closest I can get is a PRS through a Mesa Mark series..

Heh, the funny thing is that’s my “classic” setup. So it’s not like I’m conceptually all that different from the boomers (sorry, I hate to have to generalize with that term) with their “classic” setups... it’s just shifted a couple decades. :p

Back