Sure, I’ve Spent A Ton Of Money, But...

Oof, I sure didn’t mean to give anyone the impression I think I’m better than them or anything like that. It was me just kinda thinking about how relatively inexpensive it is for me to replicate the stuff that I’m inspired by.

Serg,

There are times when you speak quite well and convey knowledge. There are equally other times where you're talking out of your hat. Every so often, my day does not go well and the unintended humor doesn't quite reach me. We all have our moments where we speak like adults and sometimes make jokes that just don't work.

If you happen to take a hint from other forum responses, you might see what some of us are trying to convey. Otherwise enjoy the days of your youth. We may all end up as curmudgeonly intolerant and begrudgingly disturbed like myself someday.

Oof, I sure didn’t mean to give anyone the impression I think I’m better than them or anything like that. It was me just kinda thinking about how relatively inexpensive it is for me to replicate the stuff that I’m inspired by.

I think your point was clear :).

I'm the kind of guy who has always wanted to sound like me :). I've gone through a lot of guitars and a lot of cash, generally because I like new toys more than chasing tone. In my case I've always spent more on the guitars, and less on the amps - my favorite amp is a Peavey Classic 30. I've owned Mesas and Marshalls and Fenders and Vox, yet I always land back at Peavey. Heck, now that I've landed on the Vela as my guitar of choice, that's not terribly pricey either, by comparison to many that I've owned in the past. I've also ended up recently with the Helix LT replacing the amp, so take of that what you will :).

Not at all. Really, a PRS and a Boogie are two top o the line pieces of gear… not like you’re playing a hello kitty through a G-Dec. :) Like Keith says over at 5 Watt World, you’re ‘getting the most music from the least gear.” All good.

Exactly. A PRS & a Boogie may be the only prices of gear I might need, but I can't speak for others' tastes. Whatever gear that provides you with the best quality tone that you can budget for or own is what you might appreciate most.

P.S. Sorry for the intolerant comments directed towards the unexperienced. If any of us have not learned by now, when?

Not at all. Really, a PRS and a Boogie are two top o the line pieces of gear… not like you’re playing a hello kitty through a G-Dec. :) Like Keith says over at 5 Watt World, you’re ‘getting the most music from the least gear.” All good.

Re: the quality of Serg's gear, I agree.

And yet, I disagree with some of what Keith espouses at 5 Watt World!

If self-imposed gear limitations are chosen to serve a creative purpose, great. Picasso went through a blue period, and other artists have imposed limitations on their work to explore certain things. Self-imposed limitation can be a fine creative choice. However, there's nothing inherently superior about that creative choice. It's just one among many.

There's an infinite variety of color and shading possible in music and audio. If an artist wants to take advantage of that cornucopia of possibilities, chances are that having more audio tools on hand will help with that creative choice.

Doesn't men that everyone needs more stuff, nor does it mean that I think everyone should have tons of gear on tap. But I also think that at least when gear serves creative needs, it doesn't really need to be justified. The music that results is justification enough.

6t2jayT.jpg

Re: the quality of Serg's gear, I agree.

And yet, I disagree with some of what Keith espouses at 5 Watt World!

If self-imposed gear limitations are chosen to serve a creative purpose, great. Picasso went through a blue period, and other artists have imposed limitations on their work to explore certain things. Self-imposed limitation can be a fine creative choice. However, there's nothing inherently superior about that creative choice. It's just one among many.

There's an infinite variety of color and shading possible in music and audio. If an artist wants to take advantage of that cornucopia of possibilities, chances are that having more audio tools on hand will help with that creative choice.

Doesn't men that everyone needs more stuff, nor does it mean that I think everyone should have tons of gear on tap. But I also think that at least when gear serves creative needs, it doesn't really need to be justified. The music that results is justification enough.
:eek:

Just quoting his tag line…. It’s obvious that I don’t follow his advice! Lol But I do like the concept, like the Einstein quote “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” A lot of wisdom in that line, and the understanding that “enough” varies with the undertaking!

I have much more gear than I use, but I enjoy what I have and it paid for itself through gigging so there’s no “spending the rent” guilt here. For me, having tools opens the possibilities, to others it’s unnecessary clutter in their search for focus. For Serg, it’s that favorite guitar and amp (or two) that works for what he loves, and I love that. For us, the toolbox is different. I think having what you need is the goal, however much or little that is.

:eek:

Just quoting his tag line…. It’s obvious that I don’t follow his advice! Lol But I do like the concept, like the Einstein quote “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” A lot of wisdom in that line, and the understanding that “enough” varies with the undertaking!

I have much more gear than I use, but I enjoy what I have and it paid for itself through gigging so there’s no “spending the rent” guilt here. For me, having tools opens the possibilities, to others it’s unnecessary clutter in their search for focus. For Serg, it’s that favorite guitar and amp (or two) that works for what he loves, and I love that. For us, the toolbox is different. I think having what you need is the goal, however much or little that is.

@ RickP:

If I may, I'm no Einstein, but you want a simple answer?

No.

Nothing we do, say, or think is that simple. Try talking to a really old person, then ask how you can help each other.

They may lend you the benefit of their experience. But be aware that you may need to ask yourself how to use your tools for the most good.

In Serg's case, what he loves is what he's most familiar with. Yet should that extend beyond his material possessions? I feel the same way about people, but sometimes it's very difficult for me to love other people when others see only material things, and not the inward qualities that people display.

Let's put it to you this way: Our grandparents spent an extraordinary amount of time instilling in us the value of a dollar. They knew about commodities like steel, rubber, and silk were important for the war effort. They saved and scrimped so that our parents could have a better life. Our parents tried to do the same thing for you and me. Yet, did we remember to help them when they needed it?

You know what one old woman said to me the other day? When her daughter asked if there were anything she could do to help the grandmother with her needs, the grandmother replied, "You know, when I tire of talking to the cobwebs in my house, feel free to text or call, for a few minutes just to check up on me so you know I'm OK. You might help me by cleaning up the cobwebs, so I don't have to keep watching out for them damned spiders in my apartment. They give me the heebeejeebees."

Well, doncha know it, all the old woman needed to say after the daughter asked if she needed help was, "No."

(Remind me to feed the "flycatchers" prior to the next time the grandmother asks how was your weekend.)

This has always been simple for me. Which is what made it so complex. :confused:

I love to play other peoples music. And when I play other peoples music, I want it to sound like the original. That means several things too me. Playing note for note solos is one. Matching the tone is the other. So if I play a Scorpions song, I want to sound just like them. Jimi, same thing. Van Halen, Rush, Zep, and on and on. Want to play it just like they did and sound just like the guitar player sounded. THAT is why modeling has always appealed to me. I knew I’d never have 25 amps, rack setups, and 400 pedals, to get the exact tones of whoever I was playing. So I really wanted digital to get me there. And, like most people, I figured a Les Paul, a Strat and a semi-hollow where what I needed to get any tone I could want.

The tone chase got derailed when I played PRS and the guitars that felt SO great and played SO great didn’t sound like a Les Paul or a Strat. But they were so superior to both, that I was willing to take the PRS and try to adjust the other things in the chain to get the tones I wanted.

It’s no secret here that I fought for years with my desire to love Stratocasters. Jimi played one. So did Trower. Jeff Beck! And on and on. But, I don’t love them. I’ve tried.

Now, if I’m playing my own thing, or a lead for any song not by a classic band, then I dial what I want from scratch and don’t try in any way to copy someone else’s tone. So, put me in an “all originals” band, or otherwise, and I don’t try to copy tones at all. I dial up what I want for that song.

This has always been simple for me. Which is what made it so complex. :confused:

I love to play other peoples music. And when I play other peoples music, I want it to sound like the original. That means several things too me. Playing note for note solos is one. Matching the tone is the other. So if I play a Scorpions song, I want to sound just like them. Jimi, same thing. Van Halen, Rush, Zep, and on and on. Want to play it just like they did and sound just like the guitar player sounded. THAT is why modeling has always appealed to me. I knew I’d never have 25 amps, rack setups, and 400 pedals, to get the exact tones of whoever I was playing. So I really wanted digital to get me there. And, like most people, I figured a Les Paul, a Strat and a semi-hollow where what I needed to get any tone I could want.

The tone chase got derailed when I played PRS and the guitars that felt SO great and played SO great didn’t sound like a Les Paul or a Strat. But they were so superior to both, that I was willing to take the PRS and try to adjust the other things in the chain to get the tones I wanted.

It’s no secret here that I fought for years with my desire to love Stratocasters. Jimi played one. So did Trower. Jeff Beck! And on and on. But, I don’t love them. I’ve tried.

Now, if I’m playing my own thing, or a lead for any song not by a classic band, then I dial what I want from scratch and don’t try in any way to copy someone else’s tone. So, put me in an “all originals” band, or otherwise, and I don’t try to copy tones at all. I dial up what I want for that song.

Same here. I just can't bond with single coil guitars, unless they don't have the typical 60 Hz hum most every standard single coil has. It's like the dang mosquito in the room at night. If I can't smack it, I'll never sleep well. (Remind the genius in the other 5 hours thread to enjoy the mosquito.). Sheesh.

@ RickP:

If I may, I'm no Einstein, but you want a simple answer?

No.

Nothing we do, say, or think is that simple. Try talking to a really old person, then ask how you can help each other.

They may lend you the benefit of their experience. But be aware that you may need to ask yourself how to use your tools for the most good.

In Serg's case, what he loves is what he's most familiar with. Yet should that extend beyond his material possessions? I feel the same way about people, but sometimes it's very difficult for me to love other people when others see only material things, and not the inward qualities that people display.

Let's put it to you this way: Our grandparents spent an extraordinary amount of time instilling in us the value of a dollar. They knew about commodities like steel, rubber, and silk were important for the war effort. They saved and scrimped so that our parents could have a better life. Our parents tried to do the same thing for you and me. Yet, did we remember to help them when they needed it?

You know what one old woman said to me the other day? When her daughter asked if there were anything she could do to help the grandmother with her needs, the grandmother replied, "You know, when I tire of talking to the cobwebs in my house, feel free to text or call, for a few minutes just to check up on me so you know I'm OK. You might help me by cleaning up the cobwebs, so I don't have to keep watching out for them damned spiders in my apartment. They give me the heebeejeebees."

Well, doncha know it, all the old woman needed to say after the daughter asked if she needed help was, "No."

(Remind me to feed the "flycatchers" prior to the next time the grandmother asks how was your weekend.)
I get what you’re saying. The idea in that quote, to me, isn’t to limit yourself to the bare minimum, it’s to understand that too much can be as detrimental as too little. I think that is Sergio’s point, or at least that’s what I took it to be. He likes a certain range of music styles and he’s glad that he hasn’t had to spend the family fortune in equipment to reach his goals. I can easily be on board with that! I didn’t take his point to be that I’m somehow less enlightened than he is because I use several guitars and amps or modelers to get my bases covered.

I am older, though not old, and my career took me through much of the worst people can do to one another. Much more than I care to remember, and hope one day to not recall so clearly, if not forget. But I really don’t think the OP was intending anything so deep or philosophical. He’s just making a personal observation in his way.

I found this thread funny. I laughed out loud over some of the comments.
Same here!!! I LOL on many threads here (even when jokes are not intended)! Good entertainment sometimes, other times, need to just move on!

As for spending a ton of money on gear, in the early 2000's when I had a steady stream of disposable income, all my money was going to my Harleys and touring 'Merica. So glad I got that off my bucket list, it was a blast!!! Now that I have started spending more time on my music (since about 2014), I have been acquiring gear (have had some for decades like my Martin D12-20 and Steinberger XM2T), and this year has destroyed anything I had resembling a bank account due to this new addiction (PRS). Three new guitars in four months, a WL HBII, a CU24 and a PS CU24 (3rd week of June should be in house). Killin' me but lovin' it! These guitars play better and sound better than I ever thought was possible and I really don't care they cost a lot of money. If someday I no longer play, I will hang them on the wall as artwork, because they literally are that and so much more. I have never chased a tone, but now that I have these items, curiosity is killing this cat and am going to spend a bunch more to discover the other sounds/feels available from this genius guitar builder.

Anyway, to each his own on funds and tones!

Happy pickin'!
MW

I get what you’re saying. The idea in that quote, to me, isn’t to limit yourself to the bare minimum, it’s to understand that too much can be as detrimental as too little. I think that is Sergio’s point, or at least that’s what I took it to be. He likes a certain range of music styles and he’s glad that he hasn’t had to spend the family fortune in equipment to reach his goals. I can easily be on board with that! I didn’t take his point to be that I’m somehow less enlightened than he is because I use several guitars and amps or modelers to get my bases covered.

I am older, though not old, and my career took me through much of the worst people can do to one another. Much more than I care to remember, and hope one day to not recall so clearly, if not forget. But I really don’t think the OP was intending anything so deep or philosophical. He’s just making a personal observation in his way.

Although when I was younger, I was very much a feng shui type of guy, I was never really minimalistic because I didn't think that way.

Personally, I think that from our recent past, there were numerous folks who were drawn to music concerts featuring incredible guitarists, and those who followed in their footsteps. Offhand, I'm thinking John & Bucky Pizzarelli, father and son. While the might not be the most famous parental/offspring duo, they have carved a niche out for themselves in the overall scheme of things.

Mebbe as I grow older, I'll eventually think of simpler ways of stating my words. I'd say that "in case" you ever need to "mentally jam" with someone, I sense that both you and I have similar leanings of thought process. For me, it's very much about discovery. For you, you might actually be someone I'd consider a good mentor. Just as an observation, just so you can teach people to "listen carefully" or "read thoroughly", we both then understand more clearly the why's and how's of the topic.

When I was younger, my Dad used to say, "Listen to your mother." Sadly, Mom was not necessarily clueless, but she wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, either. Dad was more direct and firm. And that was OK, but we never experienced deeper discussions because the bond just wasn't there. And I regret that. My Dad was an honorable man, but any hope we had as kids of bonding with him was unlikely. Perhaps the interesting thought was that when our family was together, I was the figurative "glue" that held things together, despite the difficult times we experienced. And perhaps that's what made things worthwhile.

My Dad's passed 25 years ago; Mom is 85 this year. I don't have much else, except distant family and some local friends, and this forum. And sometimes, if one listens carefully, a darn good poker hand for an old guy. Thanks for reading...

All good by me.
Hunting for the perfect riff and tone is different for everyone.
Your gear experiences are very similar to my own.

Last edited:
Serg, et al...
As with every form of social media...someone will ALWAYS take an entry wrong, or how it was originally meant by the author (out of context), or take offense, or want to disagree, Just to disagree...although sometimes, some do it nicely.
Kind of an example: I have lately been totally disheartened by some Facebook entries on a couple of the Rush Fan sites (Yes, they are out there!!! ;):D). I love seeing old memorabilia, but holy crap...
It amazes me how much energy someone will spend to prove someone else "wrong"...or to make themselves feel better.

I've always enjoyed the rants of you guys...and actually enjoy trying to guess exactly what you're trying to say...(Usually its not too hard at all) ...kinda like understanding Song lyrics...

And besides...Sounds like Sergio has the right outlook...

Last edited:

You certainly didn't give me that impression. I've mostly ended up with similar gear preferences to you, and I've wasted money buying gear I thought I wanted only to end up trying to tweak it to sound like what I already had.
I want my cleans clean and my dirty heavy. I found my sound in 1989 when I bought my Boogie .50 Caliber+, and when I upgraded to a MK V, I set channel 1 and 3 to sound pretty darn similar to what the older amp sounded like. and I only use channel 2 maybe 10% of the time. I bought a Vox AC-30 and it gathers dust most of the time unless I want to record a certain sound. I buy dirt pedals to put in front of the Vox only to realize I'm just making it sound more like the Boogie.
The only revelation for me was discovering PRS guitars. Nothing I used before them is as versatile or satisfying for getting the sounds in my head and being comfortable, ergonomic and inspiring to play. I still hang on to quite a few other guitars, but they are either sentimental or like the extra crayons in the box of 64, great for the odd nuance but can't cover all the bases.

Back