Sure, I’ve Spent A Ton Of Money, But...

sergiodeblanc

I’ve saved a sh!t load because of my musical taste.

I’ve never had to chase “the brown sound” or “the woman tone”, never needed to hunt down a 12 string to ape The Byrds or Beatles, and gleefully pass by JMPs and AC30’s.

When I read about Dumble tones and crystal lattices... I’m barely aware of what that sh!t is supposed to sound like. I have to go to YouTube to like, barely make it through some videos of bands and players I can respect, but not like... really get into.

Sure, I like Zeppelin (I’m not a complete monster) but I don’t live and die by Classic Rock. In fact if I had to choose between the two, I might choose death than to listen to an entire Eagles album. Most of the 60’s and 70’s stuff I’m into is... not really all that “rockin” and I bow to the alter of Motown, reggae, and disco.

I just like different sh!t. I was born in 74 and most of my musical upbringing was centered around New Wave (actually Brit Pop), Industrial, Punk Rock, and later Metal (thrash to be exact).

“The edge of breakup” just isn’t a sound I really use all that much, and when I think of strat tones and LP tones it’s... more Nile Rodgers than SRV and Jimi, and more Brian Baker, Mick Jones (not the foreigner dude), and Steve Jones than say.. Dickey, Joe, or whoever.

My point is, I never really had to have “those” guitars and amps. I can quite happily stroll around making the music I enjoy on my PRS and Boogie amps. And if I really really needed to have the gear of my heros... I mean, a Norlin LP or a Marlboro SS amp (to really nail that vintage Gang of Four sound) isn’t gonna break me. :p

Anyhow, no real point to this thread aside from thinkin’ what a lucky dude I was to be born when and where I was. And also... maybe don’t take my advice when it comes to classic rock tones, or when I say “Only a Les Paul looks like a Les Paul”. :rolleyes:

I don’t chase sound or tone. I have my own. It’s called “really bad”. I can achieve it with any guitar and/or any amp. Yet somehow I cannot seem to resist spending a lot of money to a achieve what comes naturally. I guess that’s why I invested as the majority shareholder in an ice cube factory in the Arctic catering to the locals.

I spend more time trying to find my tone, than I do someone elses. Hell, I spend more time looking for my pick than I do picking on the guitar.I will never be in the pro's, don't care to be. I admire them for what they can do with six strings and 4 fingers. But, my hand just doesn' t work like theirs.

This is me too. My coffee table currently looks like a game of Risk played with picks. I chase my own, no matter how bad it can be. I do enjoy tweaking on this or that but in the end it always favors a similar flavor.. I go along happily without a desire to be great or sound like this guy or cover their tunes. I just have fun and enjoy making music regardless if my neighbors agree if it's music or alley cats.

i know what you mean. i was born in early 50's, so my preferences are 50's, 60's, and 70's rock (that encompasses a lot), a little jazz and the blues. i bought a new se 245, a used epi sheraton ll and a used mim strat, all for under $1000. those cover everything i am interested in playing, without costing an arm and a leg.

I’m glad when anyone finds a tone they enjoy. It doesn’t make what I enjoy any less enjoyable for me to support someone else’s search for the right sound! I chase after all those tones that Sergio doesn’t, so there’s lots of room in the world for all of us.

None of us are completely original, and we all draw from influences, one not being superior to the other. More power to you following what has inspired you… that’s what it’s all about!

If I had to look back over my youth and ask, "Why did kids laugh at what I did? Was I just too dumb to not comprehend? Why was I so stupid?"

In all honesty, I was a kid who no one ever took seriously. The music I played people didn't like. It became annoyingly evident that either I'd need to stop acting like a kid and stop pretending to be someone I was not. Adults could see through this seemingly innocent behavior, and they thought, "Acting like a kid again, hmm?"

The problem was, I didn't think like an adult, didn't know how adults spoke or wrote, and needed both an education and a real job that would pay the bills. I had nothing except my voice and my phone, my guitar and amp. The problem was, I spoke like most folks I'd watch on TV shows or in the movies. Because that how I learned. But, IRL, adults don't speak that way unless they're talking down to their children. And TBH, I don't really enjoy being talked down to, do you?

Regards chasing tone, that's mostly part of growing older and your tastes maturing. For all of the money we've saved chasing tone, we've spent much more flipping gear while chasing tone. Sure, you can waste time working on your tan, and driving around with bird poop on your car. Eventually, we will all learn how to be happy with what we already have instead of "needing" something new.

Just so we agree on several things, yes, we don't "need" new gear just to satisfy some desire. If that were the case, you'd all be divorcees many times over whenever a good looking girl flashed a smile at you. So think about this, do we actually need to listen to common sense? Or do we go on trying to influence other's thinking, although we'd be laughingstocks if we tried?

Regards chasing tone, get an education and a job first. Though these words may sting and feel hurtful, I don't think many of us have enough education to be standup comedians.

The "scissors" are waiting if you're planning on "saving money."

P.S. Yes, it's obvious that many of you will not like this. While it's still good to be joyful and have a sense of humor, please don't talk down to people unless you're trying to be funny.

Last edited:
Oof, I sure didn’t mean to give anyone the impression I think I’m better than them or anything like that. It was me just kinda thinking about how relatively inexpensive it is for me to replicate the stuff that I’m inspired by.
No worries.
It’s just a fun thought game.
It made my realize that by going my own way I have a ton of really nice stuff and still haven’t spent close to the cost of an authentic burst. That makes me happy....and maybe a bit smug, but don’t tell the others.

Well if ya gotta PRS & a Mark you can pretty much dial up almost anything Funk to Metal.

slPlJZE.jpg

.... but yea, I feel U.

Oof, I sure didn’t mean to give anyone the impression I think I’m better than them or anything like that. It was me just kinda thinking about how relatively inexpensive it is for me to replicate the stuff that I’m inspired by.
Not at all. Really, a PRS and a Boogie are two top o the line pieces of gear… not like you’re playing a hello kitty through a G-Dec. :) Like Keith says over at 5 Watt World, you’re ‘getting the most music from the least gear.” All good.

Back