Strings!!! Whatcha’ using?

davesultra

Bored, so I thought I’d ask around and see what folks here like. For me, I’ve gone through just about all of the different manufacturers, but always come back to regular ol’ Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s. What say you?

I've experimented with a lot, cleartone, ernie ball, d'addario and I liked the EB the most personally. From trying the base pack to the coated ones, I liked the base ones. I tried cleartone a few times and they're ok but not worth the money, and EB is now putting coating that they put on the 15 dollar packs on all the strings.

D 'Addario XL, NYXL, and XT Mostly 10s, maybe 9s, 12s on acoustic. I put XL 10s 1st string change then move to NYXL once I like the gauge and setup . Lately I've been trying XT some too.

I do have a couple pairs of Elixirs to try one of these string changes..

Well, to be more accurate I use 10/46 on most of my electrics just because 9s are too thin for my absurdly low action. There was a time when I loved to have a regular/high action to not have buzz. Now I prefer to go for a little buzz but the most comfortable. My tenditis is asking to me to stay comfortable. Just on 7.5" Strats I have a little higher action. Also I'm using 10/38 on just one of my Strats and 11/48 on short scale Mustang and Jaguar. Normally I use pure nickels on Fenders, Nickelplated on PRS and Gibsons, Stainless on my Cort and black coated on Steinberger. I always use 10s on every Acoustic guitar of mine, Ph/Br. As said always Pyramid Strings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8AoKkBG1G/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ernie Ball on Everything.

Paradigm Super Slinky 9-42's on the Custom 24 and Santana SE,
Paradigm Acoustic Light 80/20 Bronze 12-54's on the A55E
Hybrid Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52's on the SE245
Hybrid Slinky 45-105's on the Kestrel Bass
Earthwood 45-95's on the Ibanez Acoustic Bass

I may stray from that from time to time to test a set, but I always come back to these sets.

I have always liked the feel of pure nickel wrapped strings on electrics and currently I’m using Ernie Ball classic 2253 super slinky’s on my PRS. I used Elixir’s on my Taylor acoustics for about 10 years but changed to Cleartone phosphor bronze about 7 years ago on my Collings and on my mandolin I use Thomastik 154’s.

Last edited:
Back