Strings bends impacted by bridge?

boardn10

I'm curious if you all notice that strings feel more pliable and bendable on certain guitar, regardless of scale length.
I swear bends are softer or easier on my CE22 with trem compared to my 2001 SC with solid one piece hardtail. I played my SC250 with adjustable one piece bridge and this seems to have some give and also feels soft. Hard to explain.
11s on my LP which has a two piece bridge with stop tail also feels easy to bend, but that is a longer scale. However, it has heavier strings. Maybe it's all in my head and the difference is minimal at best! :)

Thanks, action and radius are identical between my PRSi. Thanks for the input.

This was probably a silly question but something I thought I noticed last night while setting up my CE22.

Mak
Generally, a trem bridge will give a bit more and strings will bend easier than a stop tail, due to the springs in the back of the trem. A stop-tail or fixed bridge is solid and stable, so has less "give".
Makes sense.
My trem is pretty mu h locked down and has 5 springs on it so it doesn't really move. I can get it to drop a bit.

I'm surpised more guys don't use trems as a result. There are trade offs of course.

It will definitely feel slightly different as the trem gives a little when you bend. That it actually makes it easier to bend up a certain amount is a misconception I believe. As the trem moves, the strings slacken and the pitch drops, meaning you have to physically bend slightly further to achieve the same shift in pitch.

Generally, a trem bridge will give a bit more and strings will bend easier than a stop tail, due to the springs in the back of the trem. A stop-tail or fixed bridge is solid and stable, so has less "give".
What he said...

It will definitely feel slightly different as the trem gives a little when you bend. That it actually makes it easier to bend up a certain amount is a misconception I believe. As the trem moves, the strings slacken and the pitch drops, meaning you have to physically bend slightly further to achieve the same shift in pitch.
What he said. Physics for the win

True.
Mine actually got easier to bend after blocking the bridge.

Trem bridge definitely flexes. If you want to hear it, bend one string (don’t play that one, just bend it) and strike a different string while you’re bending. All strings move to some degree when you bend on a normal trem guitar. You compensate by bending a tad further. Stop tail bridges are more stable in that way.

Trem bridge definitely flexes. If you want to hear it, bend one string (don’t play that one, just bend it) and strike a different string while you’re bending. All strings move to some degree when you bend on a normal trem guitar. You compensate by bending a tad further. Stop tail bridges are more stable in that way.
Hence doublestops with bends being tougher on a trem guitar.

I'm curious if you all notice that strings feel more pliable and bendable on certain guitar, regardless of scale length.
I swear bends are softer or easier on my CE22 with trem compared to my 2001 SC with solid one piece hardtail. I played my SC250 with adjustable one piece bridge and this seems to have some give and also feels soft. Hard to explain.
11s on my LP which has a two piece bridge with stop tail also feels easy to bend, but that is a longer scale. However, it has heavier strings. Maybe it's all in my head and the difference is minimal at best! :)
You have stumbled on to what I call the soul of the individual guitar. When I do setups I set everything up to some measurements that I know will get me in the ballpark of where the guitar will want to be. I then start making small adjustments until the guitar starts playing easier. I find that each guitar will let you know when you get it where it likes to be. One thing that I really notice is that bends get easier when you get it where that particular guitar likes it. I know this can sound strange and unbelievable but I have done this hundreds of times and it holds true. It is definitely a thing. I find this also to be true regardless of the gage of strings.
I believe that action and radius have more effects on bending's feelings than the type of bridge.
I agree with this. See above.

You have stumbled on to what I call the soul of the individual guitar. When I do setups I set everything up to some measurements that I know will get me in the ballpark of where the guitar will want to be. I then start making small adjustments until the guitar starts playing easier. I find that each guitar will let you know when you get it where it likes to be. One thing that I really notice is that bends get easier when you get it where that particular guitar likes it. I know this can sound strange and unbelievable but I have done this hundreds of times and it holds true. It is definitely a thing. I find this also to be true regardless of the gage of strings.

I agree with this. See above.
Interesting, I do notice that. Like, even 11s bend easily on my LP and CE22, yet not as easy on my Singlecuts. Yet heavier strings let my one SC sound better. But, more comfortable playing with 10s.

Back