Did some more experimenting and comparing with the Paul and MannMade tailpieces.

Lewguitar

Old Know It All

Since two of my Bernie Marsdens have matching 57/08 pickups and sound more or less the same, I did some tailpiece swapping .

One now has the one piece aluminum "Paul" bridge with the brass inserts under each string and the other has the Mann Made aluminum bridge with adjustable brass saddles.

The Mann Made is thicker, heavier and made from milled aluminum. The PRS is probably milled too...I don't know. But it's lighter.

I think the lightweight aluminum "Paul" tailpiece tends to give a guitar a more open voice.

I think the MannMade aluminum tailpiece tends to give a guitar a more solid sound, with more bass. More weight. A fuller tone.

However, I'm REALLY liking the 57/08's with the Paul bridge!

It seems to open them up in a slightly "flutey" way that I like. Especially when soloing on the neck pickup. Adds just a little breath. Kind of declutters the lower mids and bass or something. Like a decongestant.

My other Bernie with 57/08's and the heavier Mann Made bridge sounds more dense. More solid. More weight to the tone. Not quite so "flutey" or "breathy".

I use and enjoy both sounds and I might as well make these Bernie's sound a little different from each other. Neither is better or worse. Just a slightly different voice that each bridge imparts on my guitars.

Compared to the stock wraparound tailpiece, either one makes a real improvement to the tone .

The brass saddles seem to help eliminate some of that "plinky" sound on the treble strings Lazlo refers to.

Last edited:
Not an accurate comparison. Guitar on the left clearly has more flame than the one on the right. It's like they aren't even the same instrument. You're wasting your time, @Lewguitar

:p;)
True that!

They both weigh about 8.25 lbs though and when they had the same MannMade bridge on them they sounded much more similar.

It's cool that you can revoice your guitar a little with a bridge swap.

Last edited:
They both weigh about 8.25 lbs though.

"About"...what kind of science is that? I hope you are doing picofarad matching on the cables you are using too. These things make a difference man!!!

;) I know you know I'm joking around...I think it is really cool and informative that you share this stuff. I won't follow in your footsteps, but I will continue to follow your posts. :D

"About"...what kind of science is that? I hope you are doing picofarad matching on the cables you are using too. These things make a difference man!!!

;) I know you know I'm joking around...I think it is really cool and informative that you share this stuff. I won't follow in your footsteps, but I will continue to follow your posts. :D
I do! And thanks!

Since two of my Bernie Marsdens have matching 57/08 pickups and sound more or less the same, I did some tailpiece swapping .

One now has the one piece aluminum "Paul" bridge with the brass inserts under each string and the other has the Mann Made aluminum bridge with adjustable brass saddles.

The Mann Made is thicker, heavier and made from milled aluminum. The PRS is probably milled too...I don't know. But it's lighter.

I think the lightweight aluminum "Paul" tailpiece tends to give a guitar a more open voice.

I think the MannMade aluminum tailpiece tends to give a guitar a more solid sound, with more bass. More weight. A fuller tone.

However, I'm REALLY liking the 57/08's with the Paul bridge!

It seems to open them up in a slightly "flutey" way that I like. Especially when soloing on the neck pickup. Adds just a little breath. Kind of declutters the lower mids and bass or something. Like a decongestant.

My other Bernie with 57/08's and the heavier Mann Made bridge sounds more dense. More solid. More weight to the tone. Not quite so "flutey" or "breathy".

I use and enjoy both sounds and I might as well make these Bernie's sound a little different from each other. Neither is better or worse. Just a slightly different voice that each bridge imparts on my guitars.

Compared to the stock wraparound tailpiece, either one makes a real improvement to the tone .

The brass saddles seem to help eliminate some of that "plinky" sound on the treble strings Lazlo refers to.
Great input. Subjective observations of course, but valuable - thanks. I love my stoptails.

Back