I replaced the bridge/tailpiece on my Bernie Marsden today...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Installed metric brass adjustable screws and the aluminum bridge/tailpiece PRS makes with BRASS inserts built in like bridge saddles under each string.

The idea, I guess, is that the strings are crossing unplated brass. Not plated aluminum.

It works!

Compared to my other Bernie with the stock bridge/tailpiece without the brass inserts there is a noticable improvement in tone.

With the new bridge the treble strings sound smoother and thicker and the little rattles and buzzes I usually hear from the treble strings are pretty much gone.

The tone of the guitar seems more pure and notes ring and sustain longer.

This bridge seems to bring in some bass and mids too and the E, A and D strings all sound a little more solid and deep.

The improvement is subtle but for me worth the expense.

Last edited:
Thank you; I love the look of that bridge -- it is on my Paul's Guitar.

Thank you; I love the look of that bridge -- it is on my Paul's Guitar.
I like it a lot.

I have three Bernie Marsdens.

One with the new "Paul" bridge, one with the stock bridge and one with a thick aluminum MannMade intonatable bridge.

All wrap around tailpieces.

The guitar with the MannMade bridge/tailpiece sounds the deepest and fullest.

Then the one with the Paul bridge. I really like the way that one feels against my hand.

Then the one with stock bridge. And that one's getting a MannMade that matches the other in a few days.

Last edited:
Paul’s bridge wins the day. My fav of the bridges. Was there ever a doubt after he chose it for a guitar baring his name? There’s a reason he has phase 3 tuners paired with this bridge. The core studs are nickel plated on top of raw brass on the actual thread portion. Mad genius level stuff. But I appreciate it. My Paul’s guitar rings the most for a fixed bridge guitar. Nothing comes close to it. Not a 594. Not the adjustables. Not hardtails.
Next step is going for phase 3 tuners! Practice some hand dremeling :cool:

I've had a Paul's bridge for a couple years and at first I didn't like it. Recently I put it on my '97 McCarty that has always been somewhat thin and not very clear. The Paul's bridge did exactly what Lew claims and turned this frustrating guitar into a really nice sounding "axe."

That's why I never get rid of anything. I'm afraid that eventually I'll buy something and whatever I don't like will be perfect for it. :)

Installed metric brass adjustable screws and the aluminum bridge/tailpiece PRS makes with BRASS inserts built in like bridge saddles under each string.
Was there much adjustment necessary to fit the bridge or were you able to use the existing holes for the pins?

I love the bridge on my core Pauls guitar so I can believe it has really helped the tone

Last edited:
Was there much adjustment necessary to fit the bridge or were you able to use the existing holes for the pins?

I love the bridge on my core Pauls guitar so I can believe it has really helped the tone
Fit right in. Intonation was not a problem, although with 010's the bridge is moved forward almost as far as it will go.

But 12th fret harmonics and fretted notes at the 12th fret match.

Last edited:
Paul’s bridge wins the day. My fav of the bridges. Was there ever a doubt after he chose it for a guitar baring his name? There’s a reason he has phase 3 tuners paired with this bridge. The core studs are nickel plated on top of raw brass on the actual thread portion. Mad genius level stuff. But I appreciate it. My Paul’s guitar rings the most for a fixed bridge guitar. Nothing comes close to it. Not a 594. Not the adjustables. Not hardtails.
Next step is going for phase 3 tuners! Practice some hand dremeling :cool:
In my tests, both plugged in and unplugged, the MannMade actually made the biggest improvement in the guitar's sound.

Improvement being a deeper, thicker, smoother, less rattley, less plinky tone.

But I like Paul's bridge a lot. It's such a clean design with no moving parts and it works really well.

It feels good when I'm playing and it improves the tone of the guitar. Especially the unwound treble strings, but all six really.

Last edited:
I have a couple of guitars with that type of stop tail on it. I often thought about changing the one on my CU22 over to the more adjustable version but the guitar intonates really well and sounds good. That made me think about changing to the stop tail with the brass inserts. I just don't pull it out and play it enough to change it. It does what I need it to do when I play it. My CU22 was my first PRS and will probably be with me until I die. I just have a connection to it that will keep me from ever selling it, unless I decided to order a private stock in it's place. I have thought about that a few times but have never moved forward with it.

I have a couple of guitars with that type of stop tail on it. I often thought about changing the one on my CU22 over to the more adjustable version but the guitar intonates really well and sounds good. That made me think about changing to the stop tail with the brass inserts. I just don't pull it out and play it enough to change it. It does what I need it to do when I play it. My CU22 was my first PRS and will probably be with me until I die. I just have a connection to it that will keep me from ever selling it, unless I decided to order a private stock in it's place. I have thought about that a few times but have never moved forward with it.
If you want to improve the tone and retain the same look then the PRS Paul's Bridge might be the one to get.

Back