String Feel

I have been playing around a little with the strings on my SE Korina SC. I love the feel of PRS 10 strings. But everything is not perfect. I tend to bend the 6 string off the neck. That said I'm sure my technique has much to be improved on. I tried a set of D'addario 10s. Much stiffer and brighter strings. Almost too stiff. I believe the PRS 10s are pure nickel and the D'addario strings are nickel plated? Would going to PRS DGT 11s bring back the soft feel of the strings, but make the 6th be less likely to bend off the neck do to the increased size, and bring some of the brightness back the pure nickel 10s lack. By the way I have Dragon 1 pickups.

Thanks
Tom

Try a set of Dr pure blues. They are pure nickel on round cores. I have no trouble sliding off the neck on my sc korina or se 245 and they sound great. I think they are the best pure nickel strings made.

Maybe that's what I need. 10s in standard 1-3 and heavy 4-6. I'l try a set.
Thanks!.
Tom

They have a 10-52 set. Don't go by names go by the numbers since they play with wordIng.

Are you talking about bending your high E off the fret board? The reason I ask is because when I very first started playing I didn't have ANY training on guitar so I learned some bad habits right off the ding dong. One of those bad habits was not bending the high strings up, I always pulled them down. Doing it that way will cause youto drop off the fret board at full step bends. I had to suck it up and learn to push them up which helps pull off some very popular licks I was trying to learn.

I like a looser feel to the strings myself. I like the way 9s feel but I break them so I stick to 10s. Good luck.

No. The low E. I bend it up as I do the rest of the strings. I don't know what the proper way is. Bending it down when I bend all the rest up is awkward for me.
Tom

Oh! Bend the wound strings down and the unwound strings up!

still out the Dr pure blues on though.

Well it doesn't surprise me I'm doing it wrong. I'm an old, as in age, acoustic cord player trying to learn electric.
Thanks
Tom

Life just got easier :)

there are some good videos on bending techniques out there. Justinguitar and Marty Schwartz both do a good job of explaing 2 techniques that are both considered proper and are easy to understand for a beginner.

Well it doesn't surprise me I'm doing it wrong. I'm an old, as in age, acoustic chord player trying to learn electric.
Thanks
Tom

Old here, Tom but once you get in the habit of bending strings as DHW suggests, you'll never go back. And you won't run out of fret!

It doesn't matter what gauge you use if you bend the low E string up.Its time for a new habit.Its all about musclememory.

Back