Sticky necks

Maccadude33

Hi all,

I've been on the hunt for my first PRS. I decided I want a Custom 24 Core model of some kind, and so far, I have tried several. I spent about 3 hours between two different stores today and must have played between 8-10 different versions of the CU24. I played new standard 2014 models, a 30th Anniversary model, a standard CU24 with a Floyd Rose, a P24, a semi-hollow CU24, a used 20th Anniversary model, etc. Between all of the PRSi I played, I found a few that stood out sonically; the standard 2014 models with the 59/09 pickups sounded the best to my ears. There was one that I particularly liked in my favorite color, but like all of the guitars I played today, I couldn't get over the fact that the neck was somewhat sticky.

The necks were sticky enough to the point where it was bothering my hand from moving up and down. I generally prefer satin necks for this very reason. That said, the CU24 with a Floyd Rose I tried had a satin neck, and it was not very smooth either. I guess my question for you guys is: are the finishes across most PRS electrics normally like this? I don't want to buy a PRS if I have to polish the neck over and over, or even grind down the back of the neck with fine-grit sandpaper. What are my options here? Thanks for any feedback.

Any Prs I've had or currently own don't have a sticky neck. Perhaps the place you were trying them did not wipe them down after being tried out. I tend to wipe down the necks anyways after a couple of uses.

My custom 24 , smooth
My dgt , smooth

Or, you can try the micromesh treatment. Use it to make the neck satin smooth, and you can use the finest grit to polish it back to gloss if you want...

I've had probably 25 PRSes, and none have had sticky necks except for the nitro finished neck on one of the old Custom 22 Soapbars.

If you're finding all PRSes a bit sticky, it might be your body chemistry, and if so, you should probably not go PRS.

The other option is a full rosewood neck, def no sticky with one of those. Obv the tone has be right for your tastes.

I'm surprised the CU24 Floyd was sticky, I've had that same (sunken/impregnated) finish on a couple of maple necked PRSi, and it's been smooth as, and has remained smooth after several gigs.

My hog neck prs guitars get sticky under the right conditions like outdoor gigs.

PTC won't take finish off of the necks either. They will do a sanding job on it but not sure that would last.

Hi all,

I'm not keen on modifying the neck. If I don't like it from the get go, I'm not going to buy it. It is very possible the guitars I played had not been cleaned in some time, and there could have been plenty of sweat and grime built up on the necks that I could not see. Some of the necks were certainly better than others, but none were as slick or fast as I would have liked. I should also mention that, FWIW, I brought a friend with me to get second opinions on each guitar I played; he felt some of the necks and agreed some of them were not particularly smooth. I'd like to think it's not my hands!

I will be visiting a third shop next weekend in the hopes of finding a guitar more to my liking. Are they still making CU24s with rosewood necks still? I'd like to try one if I can find one.

Why not consider a satin neck?
I agree with OP - I'm not keen on the regular gloss necks but my two have satin maple necks and they are the BEST!

I personally find if I play one of my guitars for a few days without cleaning it, the neck is like playing on glue. I do have a bad habit of not wiping down the neck and strings after I play, but if I find it too tacky, I just wipe it down and it's smooth again, maybe next time you go try some guitars, take a small rag with you to clean it first, then make your decision

I own a McCarty and a CU24. I find the CU24 to be more "sticky" then the McCarty for some reason but only after I start playing. This is obviously from sweat so I always clean it before I start to play and sometimes halfway through. Try a McCarty, honestly my favourite anyways as the feel is so good and my hands just fly up and down the neck.

I find all brands of guitar necks can feel "sticky" if I don't wash and dry my hands and if I don't wipe the neck down beforehand... Just think of all the nose-pickers that handle the guitars at Sam Ash and GC. :vroam:

The other option is a full rosewood neck, def no sticky with one of those. Obv the tone has be right for your tastes.

I'm surprised the CU24 Floyd was sticky, I've had that same (sunken/impregnated) finish on a couple of maple necked PRSi, and it's been smooth as, and has remained smooth after several gigs.

^^^THIS^^^
Rosewood neck is the bomb!

I would love a satin neck if that is an option. Satin necks are usually my preference on most guitars already. I'd also be willing to try a rosewood neck, but I don't know if those are still in production. Does anyone have more info on those?

It looks like the store I'm planning to visit stocks a variety of all PRS models. If they have some McCartys or DGTs that look interesting, I'll be sure to try them. I'd like a CU24, but I'm open to other models.

You know, I may very well take a clean polishing cloth with me, just in case. :p

My Paul's has a rosewood neck and feels great. But my other guitars have glossy necks and I have no issues with them. Guess I don't sweat enough. I would recommend an automotive microfiber cloth for a wipe down. I bought a pack of them at WalMart for $5. Work great.

OP check mine out at this link:
http://tommysixstring.com/gear/

These necks are da bomb!
Violet7_zpsjpqceo70.jpg

IMG_20141007_191518_zpsbe03a07b.jpg

Hey everyone,

guitarman, those maple necks look killer!

After I got off work today, I decided to visit the next store on my list instead of waiting until the weekend. I only had a little under an hour to play before the store closed, so I only put two guitars through their paces. The first PRS I played was a special Experience 2010 Custom 24. It had a solid rosewood neck, which I was eager to try after all of your suggestions. After spending ~30 minutes playing and handling it, I found I rather liked the feel of the neck. It didn't have as smooth of a feel as some of my satin finished necks, but it was still smooth and comfortable to play. It felt "woody", for lack of a better term, and I certainly felt like I was playing a well-built instrument. Tonally, the guitar sounded very good. It had a warm tone with a somewhat subtle focus in the midrange, which I'm sure is due in no small part to all of that rosewood. Then I played a beautiful 30th Anniversary model. This guitar was stunning in every way possible. It was completely clean, the fit and finish were top notch, and after I started playing, I realized I barely noticed the finish on the neck. The pickups were incredible and the guitar sounded massive in my hands. I was very tempted to walk out with it then and there, but considering they have so many other guitars I haven't had a chance to look at yet, and the fact I had a long work day, I decided to call it a night and go back later in the week. Then again, both guitars I tried were amazing, and I honestly would be happy to have either of them. I feel I am very close to pulling the trigger on something. Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

I`ve been using Meguiar`s Car cleaner/polish (liquid-burgundy bottle) for years on my sticky necks. It absolutely does it for me, and my hands do sweat.

I have very dry hands. The standard mahogany necks usually don't bother me. However, we've been playing a number of shows outside in the burning sun this summer and after a few sets where the McCarty got a bit sticky towards the end of the set, I've been taking the Swamp Ash Special with me. I see how this could be a problem for some people, it usually isn't for me.

Most of my guitars' necks are usually fine after taking a slightly damp cloth to them. When a bunch of sweat and grime build up on one of my instruments, I switch to using either Virtuoso cleaner/polish or Gibson pump polish, depending on the guitar. Those have worked well for me so far. I haven't tried Meguiar's polishes, but I have read several positive reviews.

I know my hands sweat when I've been playing for extended periods of time, but I don't think I sweat an excessive amount. I'm sure that would change if I played outside a bunch though.

Back