Step-Down Transformers (110-120v to 220-240v)

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Any of you using a step-down transformer to run a 110V *tube* amp on 220-240v power?

If so, what size amp do you have (wattage) and what size transformer are you using?

I am assuming that the 50hz power supply (on a 220-240vsupply) is of no significance so a tub-amp's circuit since it is 100% analog and there are no motors...

Last edited:
I used one to power my 50W tube amp and my Pedal Power when I lived in Australia. I don't remember the specs on the transformer, but I'm sure it was way more than enough to handle what I had. Worked great, except the transformer was another chunk of gear to haul around.

I used one with my Mark V (90W) and use one with my HXDA (30W), I went with a 1000W transformer in both cases. I seem to remember that 500W would have covered it but yeah, they're like $70 delivered on eBay so went the safe option.

I used one with my Mark V (90W) and use one with my HXDA (30W), I went with a 1000W transformer in both cases. I seem to remember that 500W would have covered it but yeah, they're like $70 delivered on eBay so went the safe option.

Good idea. The power the amp draws is, of course, much higher than what goes to the speakers.

Now that I'm thinking about it, check the fuse rating on the amp. Let's say it's a 3A fuse, at 110V that will be 330W (at which point it would/should blow), so therefore a 500W trannie would be fine.

Just do the power calc (Power=Volts x Amps) and add a bit for a safety margin :)

Found this photo of a HXDA, it says a 250V/2A (500W) fuse but also 250W input power. A 500W would cut it, they usually have circuit protection (breaker) anyway, but me being me, I'd still go a 1000W.

1600-PRSHXDA_detail4.jpg

I already have a 1500 watt step-down transformer. I just don't now what size I *should*be using and was hoping someone had a formula that I could use. I suppose I could just fire up the amp and turn it up until the neighbors complain or something blows up. :tongue:

Back