John Mayer Signature Amp - The J-MOD100

Normally I’d say taste is subjective... but that the worst looking rug I’ve ever seen! :p
I bet when you buy a rug like that you get a free bowl of soup.

hqdefault.jpg

So, $20K worth of PRS rig, sitting on that butt ugly rug???
Normally I’d say taste is subjective... but that the worst looking rug I’ve ever seen! :p
You're right, butt ugly. I was surprised the J-MOD didn't catch fire because of it!
It's at my local dealer - maybe I can convince them to throw it out like "I'll never buy anything again until you replace that ugly Nosbig rug with one from Htims Deer Luap"... ;)

Thanks for making me laugh Les!

Yes, I was a product of the ‘60’s.
Yes, my Hippies were out and out parents!

The only bong I know is the one that has a ‘o’ at the end!

I’ve been boringly clean living for nearly half a century!

It was an all too subtle reference to the belief that Ozzy Osbourne had recorded satanic verses in reverse on his recordings and that’s what was driving all the young people to a life of debauchery!

It was an all too subtle reference to the belief that Ozzy Osbourne had recorded satanic verses in reverse on his recordings and that’s what was driving all the young people to a life of debauchery!

Before the Ozzy thing, the origin of all this is that in 1969 the rumor started that by listening to Revolution Number 9 backwards, John could be heard to say, “Turn me on, dead man.”

People hear what they want to hear, right?

Thus the sensational tinfoil hat myth that Paul was dead inspired some record listeners to listen to all of their records backwards. And all manner of things were imagined. In fact, a couple of radio DeeJays put the rumor out there once it built up some steam.

Since I was in college in those days, many a bong was hit, and all kinds of Beatle lyrics were pored over in an attempt to determine whether Paul was, in fact, dead. This was without regard to the fact that the man was quite obviously and unambiguously not dead.

However, some of us were convinced (in our inebriated state) that since the Beatles were genius makers of magic (how else could they make such music?), anything was possible. So “He blew his mind out in a car,” became the conspiracy theory explaining how Paul was allegedly killed. And Paul was therefore obviously “old Flat Top” zombie following the removal of the top of his head in the accident, who came grooving up slowly with a funky finger and a mojo eyeball. Etc.

Imaginations ran riot. Those were the days...

Then we came down the next morning and it occurred to most of us that Paul was, in fact, not dead. After that we lost the revolution that never started, had kids, and bought BMWs.

And that is why things are the way they are today.

Before the Ozzy thing, the origin of all this is that in 1969 the rumor started that by listening to Revolution Number 9 backwards, John could be heard to say, “Turn me on, dead man.”

People hear what they want to hear, right?

Thus the sensational tinfoil hat myth that Paul was dead inspired some record listeners to listen to all of their records backwards. And all manner of things were imagined. In fact, a couple of radio DeeJays put the rumor out there once it built up some steam.

Since I was in college in those days, many a bong was hit, and all kinds of Beatle lyrics were pored over in an attempt to determine whether Paul was, in fact, dead. This was without regard to the fact that the man was quite obviously and unambiguously not dead.

However, some of us were convinced (in our inebriated state) that since the Beatles were genius makers of magic (how else could they make such music?), anything was possible. So “He blew his mind out in a car,” became the conspiracy theory explaining how Paul was allegedly killed. And Paul was therefore obviously “old Flat Top” zombie following the removal of the top of his head in the accident, who came grooving up slowly with a funky finger and a mojo eyeball. Etc.

Imaginations ran riot. Those were the days...

Then we came down the next morning and it occurred to most of us that Paul was, in fact, not dead. After that we lost the revolution that never started, had kids, and bought BMWs.

And that is why things are the way they are today.

Post of the week. At least.

Anyone else find this amplifier borderline ridiculously quiet?

I play it at 1/3rd volume at home, and can turn up to half without any fear of noise complaints!

Anyone else find this amplifier borderline ridiculously quiet?

I play it at 1/3rd volume at home, and can turn up to half without any fear of noise complaints!

TR guy...how would you compare this amp to your Two Rock stuff? I’m lusting over a JMod but am afraid there will be too much overlap with my CRS.

TR guy...how would you compare this amp to your Two Rock stuff? I’m lusting over a JMod but am afraid there will be too much overlap with my CRS.

Indeed they were my amps, I'm local to Andertons so offered the guys there the amps to compare for a video.

Its definitely different to the Two-Rocks, it's much, much stiffer and percussive, much darker (yes, seriously!) with a snappier top end and much more controlled low end. Together they're glorius, I do think it's different enough from a Two-Rock to justify both, but then they are just big clean amps.

The JMOD on half volume is quieter than the Two-Rock at below a quarter though. If you want to run the Two-Rock at about half to get it breathing, you will drown the JMOD out at any volume, which is one of my main gripes, it's just so so quiet, far quieter than an AC30.

Also the overdrive on it is trash. It can be made to sound good if you essentially cut the lows and keep the gain down, but it's just so bad for an amp of this value. I'd rather it wasn't there.

Indeed they were my amps, I'm local to Andertons so offered the guys there the amps to compare for a video.

Its definitely different to the Two-Rocks, it's much, much stiffer and percussive, much darker (yes, seriously!) with a snappier top end and much more controlled low end. Together they're glorius, I do think it's different enough from a Two-Rock to justify both, but then they are just big clean amps.

The JMOD on half volume is quieter than the Two-Rock at below a quarter though. If you want to run the Two-Rock at about half to get it breathing, you will drown the JMOD out at any volume, which is one of my main gripes, it's just so so quiet, far quieter than an AC30.

Also the overdrive on it is trash. It can be made to sound good if you essentially cut the lows and keep the gain down, but it's just so bad for an amp of this value. I'd rather it wasn't there.

Two-Rocks are LOUD amps; I’ve had 5 or 6 of them. They’re excellent, and based on clips I’ve heard, the JMOD doesn’t sound like them.

In clips, the JMOD actually reminds me of a ‘67 Fender Blackface Bassman I had back in the day, and even the OD loop sounds like the Bassman did when overdriven; a little on the grindy side. Not necessarily a bad thing, if that’s something you like. And like the JMOD, the Bassman was a surprisingly quiet amp for its 50 watts.

It’s a very, very different type of overdrive than the ones on my Custom Reverb Sigs, Onyx Sigs, and other TR amps. So yeah, I’d agree, there wouldn’t be much overlap between the amps. I still do want a JMOD for clean tones, however. I’ll get one at some point, I guess.

With the stage volume requirements we face today, the J Mod being quieter probably isn't a bad thing. It sure is curious though!

Back