Stag 'O Lee

IKnowALittle

I've been playing this song for thirty years or so, and this is how I've always played it (mostly).
Very traditional.

Then I found and watched this. Love it.
This is the Dark Side.
Check it out. Très Bon

Last edited by a moderator:
NSFW warning on the Nick Cave video, BTW.

Yes! The Nick Cave version is about as dark and intense as it gets. He recorded it for an album called Murder Ballads, which is a collection of songs about, you guessed it, murder. A macabre, but wonderful album.

Never really listened to much Nick Cave. I have to say, if the Doors had done this song, it would've sounded a lot like the Nick Cave version. I dig it. Dark it is.

Love Mississippi John Hurt!

Never really listened to much Nick Cave. I have to say, if the Doors had done this song, it would've sounded a lot like the Nick Cave version. I dig it. Dark it is.

Love Mississippi John Hurt!

We are in the same boat. I had never heard of Nick Cave, was just checking out the 40th anni of ACL, and there he was.
I really don't know why, but I quite like him ... have to check out more of his music.

And, don't forget this ...

We are in the same boat. I had never heard of Nick Cave, was just checking out the 40th anni of ACL, and there he was.
I really don't know why, but I quite like him ... have to check out more of his music.

And, don't forget this ...

SRV, gotta love it. Kenny is a worthy stand in. At least I think so. Was fortunate enough to see Stevie a half dozen times, including the night before he died. Always wondered how he'd be carrying the torch if he were around today.

I dig the vibe and darkness of the Cave version. At some point the F-bomb just felt overdone to me. I think it has more impact if would’ve been used less.

The language in the Nick Cave version ruined it for me.

I get, to some extent, when artists want to put their own slant on a song, but almost universally, I prefer original versions by original artists.

I frequently dislike even the 'unplugged' versions of songs when done by the original artist.

Prime example: Layla by Eric Clapton.
The original is ripe with love, angst and longing. The soul crush of love unreqiuited.
The unplugged version is the poster child for apathy and disconnection.

Just my opinion.

naaaaa....

Not buying it.

But I don't have to for you to enjoy it.

That's why so many different offerings in music is such a great thing. We all can find something we dig.

BTW, I have artistic intent every time I pick up a guitar.... but the reviews say otherwise.

You don't have to *like* it.

But it's good to try to *respect* it.

Which is the relationship between me and Tom Waits, interestingly. And Eric Clapton, incidentally. :D

No, I don't need to try to respect it either. What would be the point?

I don't be begrudge him in whatever success or endeavor he engages. I have no intention of trying to get him to stop or censor him (save in my own home or office). He can live his life and I'll live mine.

Detached indifference is what he and I will offer each other and that's enough.

But respect for his music? No. I won't discourage him, but I won't encourage him either.

The point is that it shows an open-mindedness and appreciation for something that is culturally valuable, and in respecting him/his art you are showing a respect for people who *do* like him as well. Simple as that, but you can go about your life how you please!

C'mon.

Implying that I don't respect you, Nick Cave or his other fans as as persons is a bit heavy handed.

I don't have to respect the choices and preferences of other people to respect them in the whole. I can't think of anyone whose every choice they have made I respect, including myself. To say I have to respect people's choices in order to respect them is simply not correct.

I respect that they get to make their own choices.

I don't have to respect the actual choice they make. I am able to separate the two in my mind and in my heart. I'm not going to condemn anyone for choosing something as personal as music if it doesn't match my taste. I can still see them as an individual, worth-while human being.

But telling me that I must respect something that is culturally valuable in someone else's eyes or I'm disrespecting the person is quite a leap.

Last edited:
I never said that you were disrespecting anything. There's a difference.

Look, I'm just offering a viewpoint about cultural appreciation, for both things you like and things you don't like. You're not going to agree, so I'll leave it there.

There's a great bit by Patton Oswalt where he talks about this...

You do not have to respect someone else's opinions or ideas. You have to acknowledge their opinion or idea.

For example. People once thought the earth was flat. It is appropriate to acknowledge that as their opinion. I do not have to respect that opinion.

start at about the 1:45 mark for respect vs acknowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a great bit by Patton Oswalt where he talks about this...

You do not have to respect someone else's opinions or ideas. You have to acknowledge their opinion or idea.

For example. People once thought the earth was flat. It is appropriate to acknowledge that as their opinion. I do not have to respect that opinion.

start at about the 1:45 mark for respect vs acknowledge

This isn’t about scientific fact or fallacy though - I don’t respect the opinion of a flat-farther because it can be proven wrong.

When we are talking about art, however, it’s a different story entirely.

But anyway, I said I’d leave it so I will. As you all were. :)

I was gonna wade in here, but.....oh, why not! For example, and not to chuff anyone, just my opinion. I do not like, nor do I appreciate the Rolling Stones. I do however, respect their musical ability, their touch on culture of more than one generation, and their longevity. In this case, some would say that appreciation and respect are interchangeable. I think not though. Respect shows a certain deference to someone's contribution that appreciate does not.

Back