Spec your dream PRS build

Here's mine:

Body shape: Custom 24 shape and thickness
Body construction: Solidbody
Body wood: Extremely quilted maple top, Koa back
Finish: Blue Slate Glow (thanks Ladkor!)
Body binding: Natural
Neck shape: Pattern Vintage
Neck wood: Koa
Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood
Headstock shape: current headstock shape
Headstock veneer: Brazilian Rosewood
Neck binding: Flamed maple, left natural
Inlays: Paua J Birds with MOP outlines
Headstock inlay: Original Eagle
Truss rod cover: Brazilian Rosewood
Frets: Standard
Fretboard radius: 10”
Scale length: 24.594”
Number of frets: 22
Hardware: Smoked Black
Tuners: Phase III with Brazilian Rosewood keys
Nut material: Bone
Bridge: Gen III Tremolo
Neck pickup: Dragon II's
Bridge pickup: Dragon II's
Controls: 594 Layout
Strings: 10’s
Case: Burgandy Snake skin
Money: None to begin with

Body shape: JA-15 thinline
Body construction: 335 style - solid top and back, bent mahogany ply sides
Body wood: Maple top and back
Finish: Black top with natural back and sides and neck
Body binding: natural, PRS style
Neck shape: John Beef's Wide Fat-Fat (U shaped wide fat - same thickness, more shoulder on both sides)
Neck wood: Maple
Fretboard: Maple
Headstock shape: PRS
Headstock veneer: None
Neck binding: None
Inlays: Moons
Headstock inlay: none
Truss rod cover: black plastic
Frets: PRS's usual
Scale length: 25"
Nut width: 1 11/16"
Tuners: PRS locking
Bridge: 2 piece PRS
Neck pickup: Fralin P-92
Bridge pickup: ? Maybe 57/08? Haven't tried many of the newer offerings.
Volume: Master
Tone: Master
Push/pull: yes
Switch: 3-Way
Strings: 11’s
Case: Whatever fits?
Money: Uhh.... what?

Thanks for making me remember the amazing JA-15!

I’m in the mood for tree of life vines

B2-FC7-E58-4-ABB-49-E6-8644-6-F127-DC64-AE3.jpg

2941-B624-3288-4-AEA-9-B87-6646-A0-D0-FD96.jpg

I don't have a full spec, just some ideas:

McCarty Body
one piece figured maple top in Malachite
24.5 or 594 scale length
2 piece bridge
volume, 3 way, 2 mini toggles, MEV volume mini toggle
Braz Neck/fretboard
57/08 w/TCI treatment
Phase III+ locking tuners
Malachite (actual) tuning keys

I can never decide which I would get first so here's all 3

Number One
Body shape: Bernie Marsden Singlecut
Body construction: Solid
Body wood:Mahogany
Top wood: One Piece Quilt Maple
Finish: Violin Amber Sunburst
Neck shape: Bernie “SE” Wide Fat (Certainly thicker than my other W/F Necks)
Neck wood: Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Headstock shape: Santana
Headstock veneer: Ebony
Neck binding: Flamed Maple, Left Natural
Inlays: None
Truss rod cover: Ebony
Scale length: 24.5”
Nut width: 1 11/16”
Tuners: OG Winged Tuners with Bone Buttons
Bridge: One-piece wraparound
Neck pickup: 57/08
Bridge pickup: 57/08
Volume: X2
Push/pull: Phase Reversal
Switch: 3 Way
Strings: 10's
Case: Black Leather

Number Two
Body shape: McCarty Shape and Thickness
Body construction: Solid
Finish: Northern Lights Smoke Burst
Neck shape: Wide Fat
Headstock veneer: Black
Inlays: Hollow “J” Birds
Tuners: OG Winged Tuners with Bone Buttons
Bridge: One-piece wraparound
Neck pickup: 57/08
Bridge pickup: 57/08
Electrics: McCarty
Switch: 3 Way

Number Three (Think Les Paul Acoustic)
Body shape: Santana
Body construction: Hollowbody (No F-Holes)
Finish: Natural Smoke Burst or Electric Tiger
Neck shape: Wide Fat
Headstock veneer: Matching Headstock
Inlays: 20th Anniverasry Birds
Tuners: OG Winged Tuners with Ivoroid Buttons
Bridge: Bone Saddle & Piezo
Volume: Master
Presence: Master

Last edited:
There are numerous dream 'Guitars' with notable differences that cannot be covered in one 'ultimate' dream guitar. I know that I am much more particular over what I will accept into my family of guitars so perhaps the differences are not as extreme as the differences between a Les Paul and Stratocaster for example but, just as you can't quite get a 58 Les Paul AND a 63/4 Strat in one instrument - not without some electronic wizardry - certainly can't get the feel of those two instruments in one, then I cannot have just 1 dream guitar. I know that if I were ever to spec and receive my dream Build, that guitar would not satiate all my needs and therefore would lead to me needing to seek another 'dream' guitar.

I guess it makes sense that when you finally do get your dream guitar, it no longer is just a dream but a reality and therefore you begin to formulate the specs for your new dream build. Its likely to be very similar to a guitar collection. You start off with 'a' guitar, probably not high end and you dream of one day owning a guitar like your 'hero' - not an official import (SE, Epiphone, Squire) or some other brands version but the same brand and high end version - a Core PRS, a genuine US Gibson LP or US made Fender Strat. That dream guitar may change over the years as you grow and find what instrument suits you and your music best but when you do finally get your 'dream' guitar, owning that in reality, you end up wanting a new 'dream' guitar. Whether its another of the same model or variation of that specific model (a P90 loaded version, a semi/hollow version, a SC/DC version etc) or a completely different model to expand your tonal palette - to fill the gaps that your previous 'dream' guitar(s) don't cover.

That is basically what happened with my guitar collection. After finally being in a position to own a core PRS, a dream guitar for me (and many others), I went with the one that fitted best with my own personal familiarity where everything was where I was used to it being, the same type of bridge too. Whilst that guitar is still a guitar I would not sell (not for 'reasonable' money and it would be cheaper to buy a new one than what money I would consider accepting), it wasn't long before I had another 'dream' guitar but one at the opposite side of the type to give me as much 'different' to what I had as I could get - like buying a LP and then a Strat. The 3rd fit in between, the 4th added a hollowbody and Piezo, and most recently, I added a semi-hollow with a large array of tonal options that my others can't bring. Point is, each was a 'dream' guitar for me, each because I needed 'something' I didn't have.

Anyway, with all that said, I am currently 'dreaming' about the Modern Eagle V. The more USABLE options I have in one guitar, the better in my opinion. I hate the LP Jr 1 pickup guitar and the MEv, with its 17 different pickup selection options with each of those sounding different depending on whether you have the 250k or 500k option selected - therefore 34 possible options - I have 37 in my 5 PRS guitars (only counting Magnetics as the HBii can add a Piezo in as well) but apart from maybe a colour and inlay choice, its not exactly my 'specs' and I doubt I would do anything different - semi-hollow maybe. That's not quite the same as commissioning PRS to build me a PS guitar and choosing the specs myself.

Based on what I have, what I am currently GASsing for and not including a MEv which was a PRS spec Private Stock, I think I would commission these specs....

Body shape: PRS 594 Double Cut shape
Body construction: Hollowbody ii
Top wood: Quilt Maple and Quilt Maple back too
Finish: Ravens Heart (594 Graveyard 2 colour)
Neck shape: Pattern Vintage
Neck wood: Flame Maple stained in Ravens Heart OR Solid Rosewood
Headstock shape: Regular PRS
Headstock veneer: Flamed/Quilt Maple in Ravens Heart OR Rosewood if neck is Rosewood
Neck/headstock binding: Flamed Maple, Left Natural
Inlays: 1st choice (if it can work) Dragons in flight - Alternatively Tree of life type flowing design but with Birds in flight or a climbing rose (with stems and thorns twisting up the neck) and Red Roses to mark the frets. So many things I want...
Headstock inlay: Dragon in flight breathing fire or alternatively Rose/Eagle (depends on fret board inlays)
Frets: Standard 594 type
Scale length: 24.594”
Tuners: Locking tuners in Smoked Black
Bridge: One-piece adjustable wraparound with Piezo (as on the HBii)
Neck pickup: 58/15 LT with Smoked Black covers and pick up rings
Bridge pickup: 58/15 LT with Smoked Black covers and pick up rings
Electrics: 2 Volume & 2 Push/Push Tone Controls w/ 3-Way Toggle Pickup Switch, Piezo mini toggle and piezo volume/blend

Essentially this is a 594 Hollowbody ii but with the Hollowbody ii Piezo bridge. It borrows heavily from the look of the Graveyard 2 PS 594 but (ideally) replacing the ravens with Dragons in flight and a complete Ebony fretboard - not changing to Flamed Maple from the 12th fret. The Mahogany side walls of the body to be stained a 'red' colour - not the grey the Swamp Ash back has on the Graveyard 2. I would prefer it has some flow to the design of the neck inlays similar to the 20th anniversary birds and on the headstock, a Dragon in flight and only breathing fire if the headstock has a Rosewood (to match the rosewood neck) or even Ebony to match the Fretboard which would make a great background for the inlays as the Quilted Maple in Ravens Heart (as on the 594 Gii) wouldn't show the fire very well - although some flamed/quilted maple stained right could well be the best choice for the inlay material of that fire. It has to be a Quilted Maple top and back to look more like fire as well. All metal to be either Brass (saddles, tuner parts) or smoked black (inc Tuner Keys) - no shiny silver colour. A flying Dragon inlay on the heel too.

I know I have a 594 and a HBii, both with 58/15 LT's (although not with the TCI process) and this doesn't really add much to my collection in terms of my tonal palette. Its basically just the split coil options in a Hollowbody but the look of this guitar would be breathtaking. I must admit that this guitar and design has been in my mind for years with small changes that other guitars have inspired - most notably the Graveyard 2 which has been quite an inspiring design. It started of as Fire Red Burst HBii with Dragons in flight inlays, then added the 594 layout, neck shape and scale length until the Graveyard 2 released. Replacing the Raven with a Dragon in flight breathing fire (or not if its a maple veneer) and swapping the colour out to Raven's Heart was the final change....

I know I have more chance of owning a Modern Eagle V (which is incredibly slim but maybe one could come up on the used market at a price I can afford) but even if/when I do get a regular core 594 Hollowbody ii in Fire Red Burst (which I am really gassing for right now), this would still be my 'Dream' guitar and probably will be for the rest of my life unless PRS come up with something that makes me change my mind.

I know this is a long post but its not an easy answer and wanted to explain my perspective and try to give more description to make it easier to visualise and where the inspiration came from.

My needs are simple.

Special semi hollow with S2 bevels instead of the violin carve.
Maybe add a push pull tone pot to knock that middle pickup out of phase.
Reverse chevron figuring or 1 piece top not too heavily figured.
Not sure about the color but something subtle.
Don't paint the back black.

I would also like some magic in it to make me play better.

35th Anniversary style Custom 2408 with Piezo and trem
Ash body
Burl maple top
pattern regular curly maple neck/fretboard stained to match top.
Color similar to eriza verde but with several other colors mixed in - call it "Tree Frog" - inspired by Wild West guitars "bullfrog" scheme but brighter.
85/15mt pickups
some kind of green shell inlays
multi colored shell frog inlay on heel cap
I haven't thought out the rest of the minute details.

Back