Sound City documentry

themike

So a few months ago I saw the trailer for a documentary that was coming out about the famous Sound City recording studio. It was directed by Dave Grohl and instantly got my attention because of it.
Its an amazingly shot, beautiful story about not only this studio but the state of music performances and recordings today.

What I really loved about it is how it includes stars from all genres and decades of music and has them tell the story.... together. It also includes some very very special preformances.

I dont think there is 1 person on this board who wouldn't enjoy this movie.

Buy it from Here. Use the code "reddit" for 3 dollars off, making it $10 - DRM free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really cool - Ive watched it 3 days since I bought it and am still amazed.

There is one scene where (present day) Dave Grohl is sitting in the live room at Sound City behind his drums and starts playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it starts cutting in and out to him playing the same part of the song back in the 90s when he was in Nirvana and it literally gave me chills - it was so well done.

I am waiting for this to hit the shelves where I live. It's 'on the way' I'm told, and I can't wait.

Goldtop Lloyd

My wife and I downloaded and streamed it Friday night. It was great! If you're on this forum, you're probably a music nerd/geek like me and I love this kind of thing.

Its really cool - Ive watched it 3 days since I bought it and am still amazed.

There is one scene where (present day) Dave Grohl is sitting in the live room at Sound City behind his drums and starts playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it starts cutting in and out to him playing the same part of the song back in the 90s when he was in Nirvana and it literally gave me chills - it was so well done.

Can't get enough of this film. and yeah, Mike, this scene is so cool.

Can't get enough of this film. and yeah, Mike, this scene is so cool.

Ah, I'm so glad you saw it and bumped this. I was worried that people forgot about it because I really, really love it!

Ah, I'm so glad you saw it and bumped this. I was worried that people forgot about it because I really, really love it!
man, you see why people complain so much about now good music nowadays.
digital domain is good when is a tool, not when it's the way to make art. it make life easier, but people are forgetting what's about jam and have fun! I will see it over and over again. I am glad I have a digital copy, so it won't wear out...LOL

i saw it last weekend. It was on on-demand. Its an awesome documentary that you should all check out.

I'm waiting for the physical media, but I love watching studio stuff, so this is a no-brainer for me.

I just finished watching this film (Thanks Duayer) and it was awesome. I don't want to spoil anything, but let me say the last 45 minutes where completely unexpected but totally kick ass! If you are a fan of music, check this out. It covers everything from Rick Springfield to Lee Ving of Fear.

As a side note, let me also recommend "Thomas Dowd and the Language of Music", it's another must see for muso's.

Got this the day it came out on Pre-Order. Fantastically made documentary that makes you understand what is really going on with technology and music. Reel men record on tape. IMHO, you can hear it in nearly every recording since the late 90s. The last FF album was recorded on THE Neve console from Sound City, and your CAN hear it.

Last edited:
I just finished watching this film (Thanks Duayer) and it was awesome. I don't want to spoil anything, but let me say the last 45 minutes where completely unexpected but totally kick ass! If you are a fan of music, check this out. It covers everything from Rick Springfield to Lee Ving of Fear.

As a side note, let me also recommend "Thomas Dowd and the Language of Music", it's another must see for muso's.

my pleasure, coach.

Got this the day it came out on Pre-Order. Fantastically made documentary that makes you understand what is really going on with technology and music. Reel men record on tape. IMHO, you can hear it in nearly every recording since the late 90s. The last FF album was recorded on THE Neve console from Sound City, and your CAN hear it.

you got it! you can hear it and you can feel when the band is recording together.
When you listen to band that just recorded their albums (I think there's no albums, right...lol) they say things like: we wanted to put on tape (LOL) our energy and the way we sound live on the stage. come on, first of all you have to record it as a band, everybody playing at the same time in the same room and having fun. IT always should be about having fun. anyway, loved the movie for so many reasons.

Back