Sorry..got to laugh about the co$t of 57/08 pickups

Tree

..its getting ridiculous how much the covered 57/08 & 59/09 pickups for sale..I guess people are yanking them out of guitars like teeth !! and buying
a new ax lol..or nice down payments ona new car ...

I think what's ridiculous is that the 57/08's aren't for general sale.

..LJD..I agree..remember when cokeacola took away coke classic & people were jumping off buildings ? its actually great marketing lol.. if they offer these covered again
gonna be a lot of angry ears ...especially when you can buy the whole guitar for that price !

It is a little ridiculous I guess... but then again, I got a set, and I've never regretted the price I paid! Total ear nirvana.

But I will say, pulling pickups is better than pulling teeth... with pickups, you (hopefully) have something even better to replace them with!!!

:)

..Im worried about people engraving these things themselves and slappin them for sale..I think that's why paul is thinking 408

Paul could just make more covered 59/09's and offer them for sale. What sort of prices are you seeing these days? There are a lot of Fenders and Gibsons with substandard pickups that need replacing. Paul should see opportunity in this chaos.

The most silly thing is that if I were to get a pair of 59/09 to go into a SE, the cost of buying them both would be roughly the same as what I paid for my CU24 !

I think what's ridiculous is that the 57/08's aren't for general sale.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. It's the company's prerogative to sell whatever it wants, and to make decisions based upon marketing strategy. Is it ridiculous that you can't get Celtic knots on anything other than a collection guitar? No, because PRS wants to sell collection guitars. I'm guessing the same marketing principle applies to 57/08s.

Paul could just make more covered 59/09's and offer them for sale. What sort of prices are you seeing these days? There are a lot of Fenders and Gibsons with substandard pickups that need replacing. Paul should see opportunity in this chaos.

..I agree the hysteria is amplified because of les paul & prs owners ..its all good..don't get me wrong I spent enough on guitars to buy a double wide trailer with a van down by the river !

well, i paid $199 for a used nickel 57/08 bridge pup without ANY hesitation, and dont regret it at all. great sounding pup. is it expensive, yes, but look at fralin, lollar, and some of the other boutique pup builders. their pickups are that much or more. nobody's putting a gun to anybody's head and making them buy anything.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. It's the company's prerogative to sell whatever it wants, and to make decisions based upon marketing strategy. Is it ridiculous that you can't get Celtic knots on anything other than a collection guitar? No, because PRS wants to sell collection guitars. I'm guessing the same marketing principle applies to 57/08s.

The company's prerogative is irrelevant. I personally think many of the changes made to the product lineup in 2011 were poor. I don't really care if it's PRS's prerogative or not; that's got nothing to do with whether I like those changes.

The company's prerogative is irrelevant.

Okie dokie...

FWIW - I remember PRSh speaking at a GC/PRS roadshow event in Dallas with David Grissom. He told the crowd that the only way to get DGT pickups is to buy a DGT. The same seems to be true of 57/08's. If you want them, you either pay what the used market is asking, or you buy a 57/08 equipped PRS.

Whether or not you agree with PRS's changes, doesn't really change their right to operate as they see fit...

I've got a HBII being delivered wed with 57/08s in it. It will be my first time hearing these pickups. I'm very excited to say the least! What do these pickups sell for?

I picked up 2 sets of 57/08's used. They were priced about where other boutique pups are priced. They are worth what I paid. Great pickups. If you think the price is rediculous, don't buy them.

As for PRS making them available for sale, could it be that the limited supply of wire keeps PRS from making them too availble? I really don't know the answer, but I don't think the wire is in umlimited supply.

The company's prerogative is irrelevant. I personally think many of the changes made to the product lineup in 2011 were poor. I don't really care if it's PRS's prerogative or not; that's got nothing to do with whether I like those changes.

There is a place where the buyer and the manufacturer intersect, and when they do, there's a sale. When they don't, the buyer looks elsewhere.

PRS is selling products at a good clip, so they are intersecting with a lot of buyers.

If you don't like what's happening, you get to keep your wallet in your own pocket, or you find the need to look elsewhere. But in either case, both you and PRS will be fine.

Someone's always going to dislike every single business decision a company makes. There's no unanimity among customers. Their business decisions are certainly relevant to their operation.

Just not to you. I'll bet they're OK with that.

Last edited:
Whether or not you agree with PRS's changes, doesn't really change their right to operate as they see fit...

I'm sorry, but yes, this is completely irrelevant. This is one of my pet peeves: nobody is arguing about PRS's right to operate as it sees fit, so why even bring it up? Why, when someone has a minor complaint or request about a product, is there always some knee-jerk assertion of the company's "rights?" You are correct that the choice is clear for those whose needs/desires are not being catered to -- that's why I haven't shelled out for a new PRS since 2010. It just doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

Potential customer: "PRS should sell these pickups."
PRS Fan: "PRS has every right not to sell you those pickups!"

This response may be true but it isn't a factor in whether the company should sell them. It explains nothing and doesn't address the OP's frustration. Do you understand how that can be, shall we say, off-putting? It doesn't negate the fact that there is a significant demand for the 57/08 pickups that PRS is either failing or refusing to meet.

Last edited:
Back