Sorry..got to laugh about the co$t of 57/08 pickups

I've got one 57/08 in my Studio model along with two 57/08 Narrowfields. I like them enough that I want to hoard as many as I can get. So I just bought a banged up NOS McCarty Narrowfield (has two 57/08 Narrowfields only) from Guitar Center and it is currently on a slow moving pack mule (haha not really, its a truck) making its way across the country as I type this.

Nice! I think the NF P-ups are underrated......

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;150438 said:

I can't get around their look. Odd cause I like the 408s...but not the Paul's guitar set up with two thin ones.

I can't get around their look. Odd cause I like the 408s...but not the Paul's guitar set up with two thin ones.

I personally think they're easier on the eyes than the 408 pickups. And while I think the NFs are underappreciated, the 408 is a more versatile pickup. They sound great full-on, or split!

The 57/08 is the most authentic pickup I've heard from a mass produced manufacturer of a PAF sound. And pretty damn close for ANY maker boutique or otherwise. And it's in my CU24, which is not a traditional PAF-type guitar. But I get sounds that nail certain things from records I love. The other day I was goofing around with a new overdrive pedal (a Way Huge Red Llama MkII reissue) through my 65amps Ventura clean which is mostly a Tweed sound (Tweedy pedal and Tweedy amp = TWEED!) and was nailing old classic rock tones like ZZ Top's "Waitin' On The Bus".

I like 59/09s too from what I've heard but I prefer the older style covered ones like the 57/08s as I use a 3 way toggle and not a 5 way with rotary or blade. I prefer that setup as I come from playing that style of guitar for many years before PRS.

As far as 408s, I prefer the look of the Paul's Guitar or Brent Mason model myself aesthetic wise.

Back