solo boost pedal for 2 channel H

BlueSky

Well, the thread title says it all. I'm very happy with the H amp but still looking for a boost pedal to cut through the mix during solos. A fully cranked Tubescreamer with the gain turned down does not really do it. I suppose a clean boost pedal might do the trick. There's tons of them on the market. Any recommendations? Which works best for the H amp?

I don't have an H, but I've used four boost pedals with my HXDA and DG30. These amps are pretty unlike one another, however the pedals I've gotten have been consistent with both amps, so there's that.

My favorite so far for most things is the clean boost that is part of the Fulltone Fulldrive 3. It has a really nice sound that brings out a little bit of the sparkle in the pickups, yet it doesn't fundamentally change the guitar's tone too much. It also has a built in limiter that you can dial in - or not - however the limiter is a germanium transistor based thing, and it sounds very good indeed, so I use it. That's my #1.

#2 is using the Fulltone Catalyst as a clean boost. This is the craziest damned pedal in a good way, because you can switch into being a fuzz, but as a clean boost it adds quite a bit of sparkle and a nice edge to the tone, and also works to make split humbucker pickups sound more like single coils. Obviously setup is crucial, and equally obviously, you have to control it with your guitar's volume knob, but I dig it and I don't even set it up for anything but clean boost these days.

#3 for me is the Xotic SP compressor, set up as a clean boost, with very slight parallel compression dialed in, and the blend knob set to mostly unaffected. In fact, this sounds an awful lot like the clean boost section of the Fulltone FD3, so I only use one of them, namely, the Fulldrive because I don't like having two things on the board that pretty much do the same thing.

#4 is the tried and true Fulltone Fat Boost.

Also tested: the Xotic EP Boost, but didn't like it very much with my gear. It seemed to conflict with the basic tones of the HXDA in an unpleasant way. Might be very good with a different amp, however, and it was certainly a quality piece in terms of build and so on.

Les...flip the internal dip switch on the EP boost...make it darker...I use one with my HXDA all the time

Thanks Bob, but I took it back and got the SP, so...too late for this guy! ;)

In truth, I'm so happy with the boost on the FD3 that it's kind of become my go-to. All this stuff is so related to our personal and individual tastes anyway...

I purchased the eh soul food fantastic pedal you could use it as solo boost or turn up the gain and have a beautiful overdrive.I put it up against my brother in laws Klon and it sounds very good,I know there's a big controversy about the pedal but it's worth a try.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have plenty of OD through the amp (the best ever), so it's really just a volume lift I need during solos. An OD pedal in front does not do the job. Something I forgot to mention in my initial post: should the clean boost be placed in front of the amp or in the loop? If placed in front it only drives the already overdriven preamp into more distortion.
Does anyone know how the in-built boost switch works in the Custom 50 amp? Would a transparent boost pedal in the loop (between pre- and power amp) follow the same principle as the boost in the Custom 50?

Right now my 2 favorite boost pedals with my 2 channel H are the Keeley Java Boost and the Fulltone Fat Boost 2
the Keeley is just such a different animal, if you can check it out

Keeley Time Machine Boost: completely transparent clean boost on the "Modern" side, two separate flavors of vintage treble boost on the "Vintage" side. I have been using this pedal consistently for over ten years; in my experience, nothing better has come along.

Joe

So many boosts on the market. I can borrow an MXR MC-401 next week. After some google search it appears for the volume lift I want, the pedal should be in the loop. Will find out.
Does anyone know if the boost in the Custom 50 is similar to a boost pedal between pre- and power amp (i.e. in the loop)?

My solo boost pedal is the volume control on my guitar. :laugh:

I know what you mean Em7 and I do that too, especially to clean up the tone. But sometimes I need that extra kick in volume to cut through the mix. So in the meantime I tried two clean boost pedals and for my purposes (volume lift), the boost pedal should go into the loop.
I tried a MXR Line Boost which works great but the bad news is it does colour the tone (even when the pedal is switched off!). This may not necessarily be a bad thing but with this pedal it is (at least to my ears). Difficult to put in words but it made the amp sound more artificial (for lack of a better word). Especially in the OD channel, the amp lost some of its wonderful organic compression, not only in tone but also in feel. Mind you, even with the pedal switched off. Subtle but enough for me to notice when taking the pedal in and out of the loop. The amp just didn't feel the same.
Next I tried an old Fulltone Fat Boost. It must be the first generation, grey casing with the Volume pot on the left, a Drive pot on the right and a small Tone pot in the middle. After lots of fiddling with the knobs, it seems it sounds most neutral with the Tone pot turned completely to the right (clock-wise) and the Drive pot turned off. Volume pot to taste. If the Drive pot is opened even a bit, let's say 9 o'clock, there's is again some of this artifical tone colouring which I don't like at all.
So for the time being, the Fat Boost v.1 stays on the board.

Last edited:
I've re-thought the EP Boost by getting a different one. And it works fine with the HXDA. Not pristine though. Has a bit of grit to it.

Still, it might work well if you later change your mind about the Fat Boost (a pedal I also like very much, and have had several versions that have all been darn good)!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you have your H dimed? I use one as well. I crank the master and usually have the pre at 3 or 4.. that was actually too much stage volume for the sound guy at my gig last week.

The reason I say this is because the amp is pretty freakin loud and I have no problem cutting through my 9 piece band. You could probably turn it up, and keep your guitar volume at 5 then turn it up all the way for a solo rather than relying on a pedal to do the same.

( Disclamer I build these pedals so I am biased )
Look at the Tonal Insanity Aurora Borealis or Nigara pedals both pedals can boost any amp and offer lots of tone shaping and gain / level adjustments to fit almost any need. ( IMHO )
There are demos from CRGTR on YouTube
Good Hunting

In the meantime I've settled with the Creation Audio Labs Mk. 4.23. Pure clean boost with no noticeable tone colouring. It has to be in the loop of the amp. In front it doesn't do anything, at least no volume lift. In the loop you'll have to set it very low. I have it on 8 o'clock - just enough for the desired volume lift during solos.

In the meantime I've settled with the Creation Audio Labs Mk. 4.23. Pure clean boost with no noticeable tone colouring. It has to be in the loop of the amp. In front it doesn't do anything, at least no volume lift. In the loop you'll have to set it very low. I have it on 8 o'clock - just enough for the desired volume lift during solos.

A Boosta Grande does a great job of increasing the volume without coloring your tone, but as mentioned above, you have to run it through the effects loop.

Back