So just who is the Tone King?

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I know a few here do not like the guy, but I personally do as I have learned a lot from watching his videos.
He puts a lotta passion into his videos to do reviews, and he covers all the NAMM shows, and also the "30 pedals in 30 days" thing which should be coming up soon for the holidays.

He is not the best player (better than me) but I enjoy the passion he puts into his vids, and that is what counts in my book.
Here is a little background on him from his latest video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of a demo is to demonstrate a piece of musical equipment. One does that by demonstrating all of its features, how it works in a musical context, and a discussion of ancillary equipment used in the demo so that the viewer/listener can put the gear into some context.

The Tone King fails to do those things.

I believe that's because he doesn't actually know how to evaluate a piece of gear, and doesn't know how to demonstrate it effectively, but that's another matter. One reason he can't put the gear in a musical context is that he's obviously not a very musical guy. He's a guy who likes the toys. But he doesn't really know how to use them, or why some are good, and some aren't.

In terms of demonstrating musical equipment, there are people who do an excellent job. Even those British guys who hawk the stuff their music store carries do a much better job demoing the gear. The Tone King doesn't because he isn't equipped to.

For those reasons, his "shows" miss the point, and I don't think he has good information to dispense. However, I don't dislike him; he's having a good time and he's pulling in some serious YouTube bucks. More power to him. But we're PRS players who for the most part know our stuff, and have some degree of musical sophistication. So I question whether he needs - or deserves - to be promoted on the PRS Forum.

Last edited:
Well he has interviewed Paul before.
I agree he has a jolly good time doing his shows, that is why I like him.
Just an average guy like me.

Louis seems to be a real lovable guy who loves what he's doing. I do like to watch what he thinks of things, sometimes. That being said, I too think that if he would use the gear in an actual musical setting it would be better. Or if no matter what he was playing if he could get a different sound beside 80's hair metal, but I could look past that, everyone has their own style to play in use the gear.

That's why I like Ryan "Fluff" Bruce. This is an older video he did, and yes, he plays pretty much one style, but he does it in a musical way and writes an actual song for the demos.

+1 for 'Fluff!!!' His video demonstrating the Celestion Creambacks completely sold me into buying a pair of those speakers for my cab!!! Probably one of my best buying decisions gearwise!!!

Have not heard of Fluff, will have to check him out.
I am always looking for more demo dudes to subscribe.

Yup. Count me as a Fluff fan. :rock:
Fluffernutter? :tongue:

TTK is harmless. He's just having a good time doing his thing.
You gotta take it for what it is.

I suppose you're right.

I'm a curmudgeon.

Here you go...

Curmudgeon.jpg

I'm glad I read the whole thread, and watched the video, before replying to the OP. If I hadn't done both, my response would have been more like the one Les had. I've seen a few of his videos, and thought many of the same things Les mentioned. Plus I've seen threads at TGP slamming the guy, and that was part of my issue. I got caught up in the "he named himself the tone king, and thinks he is" thing that was going on there, and then I see a guy who is not a great player and is not a studio ace.

So, in thinking he thought he was a big shot, I didn't like that. But it does appear that he is more just a guy having fun and I don't have a problem with that at all. That said, the amount of hits and subscribers he has is mind boggling.... And to think he's getting paid for that... well, good for him if he really is the goofy likable fun loving guy.

Then again, there is a danger on the other side of that coin when listening to guys like Pete Thorn. First, he's a monster player. Second, he knows tone. And this is the one that makes it dangerous... he's good enough in the studio that he makes EVERYTHING sound really good or great. I've never heard Pete demo ANYTHING that didn't sound good enough to buy.
If I were a gear maker these days, Pete would be the first guy I'd be after to do a demo of my product.

Another guy that can play circles around most is the guy who does the Gear Gods reviews.
Check out his video from yesterday with a seven string guitar through a 100 watt Archon.
He uses the Archon for many a demo.

I'll have to check Fluff out. I've never seen any of his reviews. I've been enjoying Brett Kingman's reviews for a couple of years. Nice licks, substantive reviews, and enjoyable. Or maybe it's just the Aussie accent??? Either way, I enjoy his stuff.

I use to watch Gearman Dudes videos, but I have not watched them for a few years now.
He mainly just does fuzz and distortion pedals now.
I remember when people use to think he was Jack Black as they sound a lot like each other.

I'll have to check Fluff out. I've never seen any of his reviews. I've been enjoying Brett Kingman's reviews for a couple of years. Nice licks, substantive reviews, and enjoyable. Or maybe it's just the Aussie accent??? Either way, I enjoy his stuff.

Brett's a good one also. I first saw him when he did a few videos for ProGuitarShop, which Andy from PGS is an amazing player also, who happens to never use a pick.

Fluff does a lot of stuff with Jared Dines (after both of their channels got "big" they found out they live like a mile from each other). He also mixes all of Rob Scallions stuff for him, and they do videos together sometimes. Here's a video with all three of them.

Yeah, I've watched many with Brett, GearManDude, and Andy. All of them have lots of good demos out there. Prior to reading this thread, I'd only heard about TTK at The Gear Page and the threads there weren't flattering. Many tried to make it sound like he thought he really was a guitar/tone/gear guru. If that was his persona, he wouldn't come off too well because his chops/tones/recording skills don't back that up. But if he's just a lovable goof who loves to play, then that would remind me of ME, so I'd have to like him. In fact, now I'm jealous and I don't like him anymore! (J/K!) I didn't think us hacks could get those kind of gigs! :rock:

Yeah, I've watched many with Brett, GearManDude, and Andy. All of them have lots of good demos out there. Prior to reading this thread, I'd only heard about TTK at The Gear Page and the threads there weren't flattering. Many tried to make it sound like he thought he really was a guitar/tone/gear guru. If that was his persona, he wouldn't come off too well because his chops/tones/recording skills don't back that up. But if he's just a lovable goof who loves to play, then that would remind me of ME, so I'd have to like him. In fact, now I'm jealous and I don't like him anymore! (J/K!) I didn't think us hacks could get those kind of gigs! :rock:

GearManDude sounds just like Jack Black, It's kind of scary.

Wow, several minutes of him blowing his own horn.......i was really hoping to actually learn about him.

I suppose it's just an advertisement for his YouTube channel. Maybe he's inspired by the political debates, or maybe he's just hustling for more advertisers, whatever he's selling, I don't really need it.

I agree he has a jolly good time doing his shows, that is why I like him.
Just an average guy like me.

Which is all that matters. It's fluffy guitar entertainment that millions of people enjoy, it's like Big Bang Theory or The NFL Today. The only time some of these dudes bum me out is when they categorize their channels as "education" and then offer none, or worse by telling you lies.

Back