So.... I'm curious - Why DRAGONS?

Rango

Ok so those of you with some knowledge of the History of PRS, a question.

I see a fair amount of references to dragons - both pickups and Guitars. I've seen pictures of some of the guitars.

I get "Birds" but what's the story with Dragons? Was PRSh a D&D buff? Metaphor for doing battle with the "Big Boys" - Fender and Gibson?

Gotta be a good story here! :D

Not sure about the early roots but Bev made a joke about him just liking Dragons a lot recently that made me laugh. I mean even his band was called the Dragons and they were rippin' !

I think our fearless leader is just a fan of Dragons. Ever notice all the dragon figures in his studio?

(At age 16 I believe) Paul had a dream about a guitar with a Dragon inlaid on the fretboard. It's been a reoccurring motif ever since

EVERY ANCIENT CIVILIZATION EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD HAS LEGENDS OF FLYING WINGED SERPENTS..........COINCIDENCE??? ANYWAY, DRAGONS ARE C O O L !!!!!

EVERY ANCIENT CIVILIZATION EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD HAS LEGENDS OF FLYING WINGED SERPENTS..........COINCIDENCE??? ANYWAY, DRAGONS ARE C O O L !!!!!

There's an interesting theory that as ancient people chanced upon dinosaur and extinct mammal bones that may have been exposed on the sides of cliffs, by excavations, or simply by the winds on deserts near trade routes, etc.. The ancients must have marveled at these finds. The theory holds that the mythological creatures probably were their way of explaining the finds.

If you were, say, in ancient China, and as often happens in desert areas there, found some exposed bones belonging to a giant creature with sharp teeth, claws, and a long tail, you might imagine a dragon to explain what you found.

It is known that certain Greek temples, for example, had caches of bones from extinct prehistoric animals and dinosaurs. Some of these were found in archaeological digs, and others were mentioned by ancient historians like Herodotus. There must have been a fascination with these relics, and the thinking probably was that they had belonged to Titans and other mythological creatures.

Anyway, I love dragon images.

(At age 16 I believe) Paul had a dream about a guitar with a Dragon inlaid on the fretboard. It's been a reoccurring motif ever since

You mean it's not because of Dungeons and Dragons?! Give it up for the red box. Woot woot.

Dragons are F-ing cool, that's why. Fire breathing bada$$ death from above with scales and claws that leave a wake of terror and destruction. What, would you prefer ill-tempered Sea Bass?

It is the birds that I do not get. I mean, I know the back story, but still. When I think of rock-n-roll, I don't think of sparrows. Not even unladen ones.

It is the birds that I do not get. I mean, I know the back story, but still. When I think of rock-n-roll, I don't think of sparrows. Not even unladen ones.

The Sparrows (later known as Steppenwolf), The Yardbirds, The Byrds, Stone The Crows, The Eagles (including their songs "Earlybird" and "Nightingale"), The Hawks (later known as The Band), "Surfin' Bird" (Trashmen), "Little Red Rooster" (Rolling Stones), "Freebird" (Skynyrd), "Bird On A Wire" (Joe Cocker), "White Bird" (It's A Beautiful Day), "Three Little Birds" (Bob Marley), "Birds" and "Danger Bird" (Neil Young), "Blackbird" and "And Your Bird Can Sing" (Beatles), "Caged Bird" (Alicia Keys), "Little Bird" (Annie Lennox), "Talking Bird" (Death Cab for Cutie), "Little Brown Bird" (Jeff Beck/Clapton), "The Black Swan" (Bert Jansch)...the list goes on. Anyway, I can't think of any more.

Yeah, probably more bird stuff than dragon stuff out there in rock history.

Hey, did I forget the band Atomic Rooster? Impossible! Can't remember a single one of their songs, though...

;)

But dragons ARE cool.

Last edited:

At age 16, I had dreams about Brooke Shields, but I eventually let it go.

She wouldn't, so I had to get a restraining order.

Back