Small Amp to compliment Custom 24 ?

Raymond

What is a good amp to match the Custom 24 with 59/09 pickups?

At the moment I just have a Yamaha THR-10, which is a modelling amp. I am thinking getting a tube (valve) amp to go with it. Not sure which one, the only criteria is I prefer to get a small amp as I don't plan to gig with it. Just use it at home. So I am looking at something like the Blackstar 1H-TR or even the Marshall 1W Limited editions?

I am just making a shortlist for demos but not sure what are the better ones out there to make it on the list in the first place, any advice greatly appreciated.

In terms of sound, I like an amp with a nice clean channel, so think Bruce Sprinstein or the Killers kind of sound in Hot Fuss, or even Taylot Swift in some of her tracks.

I too have the same Yamaha amp, very nice.
I have a Blackstar 5HR head, and I am not really happy with it.
I now have two of their ID series, the 30 watt combo, and the 60 watt head.
I prefer both over the valve ones, as with their controls you can dial in many different amps sounds.
Just go on YouTube and input ID series.

Those 1 watt Marshalls sound incredible but are expensive. I would check out the Marshal SL5 Slash amp, only five watts but has a big cabinet with a 12" Celestion and sound really good.

They are on sale near me, i am not sure how much it is in the states but it's about $500 here. The Blackstar 1H-TR is $300.

The tones you're after are definitely tube amp tones. Whether anything other than a tube amp will truly satisfy kind of depends on how picky you are. For me, only real tubes will do.

The problem is that tube amps are very dynamic. And a 1 watt amp isn't going to give you the edge and definition of the tones you're seeking out, it doesn't have the power or the headroom to drive a speaker to get the real-deal tone (IMHO), as part of even a good rock clean tone comes from a speaker being driven to decent levels.

So the little amps are cute, and they're tube, but they can't really deliver the goods (especially clean, where a decent amount of headroom is needed). They do better with distorted tones.

So I'm going to make what might seem like an odd recommendation: a powerful high end amp that can be switched down to 10 watts. I don't know whether or not PRS can do this through their CAD program, but it's worth investigating.

I had a Mesa Mark V that could do around 100, 50, or 10 watts. It sounded very good at each setting. The 10 watt tones were surprisingly good. So with something like that, you'd have one amp that you can open up when you are alone in the house, or play softly (but still get pretty darn good tones) when you need to play more quietly.

I found that the PRS amps work better for me, as I have a studio, and don't need to play at extremely low volumes. They're quieter amps at idle, and give me the exact tones I need. I think at some point they made an amp with a built in power scaling device, but I'm not 100% sure. They might still be able to do it.

If not, you'd be surprised at what you can get with amps that allow you to switch to low power. Two-Rock also has a low power amp meant for clean to semi-dirty playing that's worth investigating.

Their clean tones are very high caliber.

I think the Mesa Express series are switchable to 5 watts. The newer ones have their Lonestar clean clean channel, which sounds great IMO. The 25 watt combo comes with a 10" speaker that would make for a great home amp.

My Tweaker 15 also sounded great at lower volumes, but I would recommend against the combo version, the stock speaker kinda ruined the tone. Get a 1x12 with a V30 or an American voiced speaker.

Really itching to try the ID series too...

Really itching to try the ID series too...
I will tell you I am very satisfied with both of my IDs.
The 30 watt combo has a 12" speaker, and I am running the 60 watt head through the Carvin 4x12.

Both amps have a variety of tones, and sound good clean or dirty.
And they have that True Valve Power thing that lets you switch between voicing for around six tubes.
I only play in my living room, and I like that I can have either down real low and get the same tone as it it was turned up louder.
I hardly use my Carvin V3M anymore, as I like the sounds of these amps a lot better.

If I did play out though, either of the ID amps would work.
The 30 watt one can get quite loud or mic'd via PA system, and the 60 watt head, it is very loud.
I can only play my stuff where I live quiet most of the time, but I have opened them up before for a few power chord strikes :D

Two of the best demo vids are these IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the Marshall SL-5. Five watts or one watt, reverb, clean and dirty channels, low or high range options. No loop.

Depends on what you want to spend. I'm getting ready to sell a VHT Special 6 Ultra head. It's really very good for it's price range. My Mini Rec is making my less expensive amps sit and be lonely.

Or, for about twice as much money, the Tweaker is hard to beat for a still VERY affordable amp.

I will tell you I am very satisfied with both of my IDs.
The 30 watt combo has a 12" speaker, and I am running the 60 watt head through the Carvin 4x12.

Both amps have a variety of tones, and sound good clean or dirty.
And they have that True Valve Power thing that lets you switch between voicing for around six tubes.
I only play in my living room, and I like that I can have either down real low and get the same tone as it it was turned up louder.
I hardly use my Carvin V3M anymore, as I like the sounds of these amps a lot better.

If I did play out though, either of the ID amps would work.
The 30 watt one can get quite loud or mic'd via PA system, and the 60 watt head, it is very loud.
I can only play my stuff where I live quiet most of the time, but I have opened them up before for a few power chord strikes :D

Two of the best demo vids are these IMO.

Gotta say, I'm impressed.

I am thinking of taking the 30 watt combo to work sometime and really open it up.
Behind our dock and break room at work is a huge auditorium where they hold meetings.
I am there early enough in the morning that I can play in there which I have done with my smaller Yamaha THR 10X amp, and that little amp fills the room with loud tomes.
I can only imagine what this combo would sound like cranked up in there.

Raymond - if you don't have the coin to follow Les' suggestion above (would love a small Two-Rock myself) then I can offer the following:

- Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:25/5:50: REALLY nice clean channel on these; I ultimately preferred (and stuck with) the 5:50 b/c the 5:25 was a little too flabby with gain. Down to 5W Class A sounds beautiful, and gets a nice crunch if you need it. Gorgeous tube reverb. Sounds really good with my 59/09-equipped CU24.

- Egntater Rebel 30: just picked up one used for a steal and although it probably needs a retube, the clean channel really surprised me. Tight/Bright switches and tone controls are very responsive, and variable wattage lets you select when it breaks up. Not quite the same definition as the Boogie with the 59/09s but still really really good for the price.

RE: Blackstar: I am a big BS fan as Corey is, although I have yet to try the ID series. Had an HT-5R in the past, not nearly enough clean headroom. My absolute favorite plug-n-play amp is the Blackstar HT Club 40. You will not spend more than 1 minute turning knobs. Dirty channel sounds awesome, the clean channel is very good if a tad bland. An eq or clean boost helps alot. The voicing switch lets you toggle between super and gritty cleans instantly which is really useful.

I had a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 as well; great and versatile little amp, the clean channel is about as shimmery and pristine as you will hear in this range. For my ears, the crunch was strong but the boost channel was way too compressed and boxy sounding, and with shared tone controls the options for EQ are severely limited.

I have a Blackstar Stage 60 and I absolutely hate it. I've swapped out the tubes and speakers. Can't get it to sound right with any of the settings. I prefer my 65 Twin Reverbs.

I am eyeballing the Archon though.

Wow thanks guys for all the recommendation.

I have to say, some of these amps are way over my budget, although technically i don't have a ceiling as such but I wasn't planning on spending thousands and thousands. With all the Mes Boogie ampes having a 20% inflation due to UK taxes means the Transatlantic 15W comes to like $1,500 new !!! I see them half that on Ebay in the states which makes me a little sick.

I looked into getting something like a Egntater Rebel 30 on eBay but I just realise one thing - wattage difference, it is 240V here as opposed to 110V in the US so I don't know how that would work.

I have made an offer on a Mesa Boogie TA 15 on ebay for £500. Will see if that comes off, but i think ultimately something with an FX loop would be nice as that would allow me to use pedals in the future and I think I would like that option kept open.

I am also open to the idea that getting the head now and a cab in a few months to spread out the spending a bit, which means I could say $1,000 on the head?

Last edited:
Since you are leaning towards the TA15 which is a 2 x EL84 and you're planning for home use ,I would also suggest checking an older Laney LC15R.
It is a really nice sounding amp, has a 10" speaker, it is light and pretty powerfull for 15W and has an effects loop. I am sure you can find used ones in the UK for cheap.
With the gain at 2 and the volume at 5 it has a great, dynamic clean sound that could be too loud for bedroom use!! ;)
Check also their newer VC15 which is based on the LC15 circuit but with 2 channels and a nice Jensen speaker.
I have moved my LC15 into a 2x12" cabinet and I really don't need something louder to be heard while jamming with a band.
Here is a pic from when I moved it to the new cabinet for size comparison...
DSC00388.jpg

Back