Playing a clean tone / higher watt or lower watt amp best? Thoughts..

Really depends on your definition of what clean tone is, and/or what you’re going for.

For me, clean means clean, like a to-the-board-disco clean: zero distortion or edge. For that, I prefer a 50-100 watt amp (generally).

Most any amp/speaker combo is capable of clean tones with the confines of its capability to attain that clean tone at the volume you want it. The louder you need, the more power you need in the amp and the more capacity you need in the speaker, as either one breaks up at some point. But at (normal) home practice volumes? You’re overthinking it… once you’re above a couple of watts, any amp ought to cover that.

Something like a Fender Twin at 80-ish watts, especially the ones with JBL speakers, were known to peel paint off walls with their clean tones. Just one example of a bit more power with a strong speaker.

I decided to go with a Matchless Chieftain 40w 2x12.. I love the workmanship on those things.

Yes basically what I have determined is more watts with low gain is the better the clean tone. Overhead is king… not pushing the pre amp or power amp.

Amp comes today… can’t wait to try it out.

I decided to go with a Matchless Chieftain 40w 2x12.. I love the workmanship on those things.

Yes basically what I have determined is more watts with low gain is the better the clean tone. Overhead is king… not pushing the pre amp or power amp.

Amp comes today… can’t wait to try it out.
Awesome choice!

temp-Image-NPZvq-I.avif

Back