Singlecut differences?

bucketfoot

Just bought my first PRS and am now thinking about about picking up something to replace my old Ibanez Les Paul copy.

I'm not sure that I want to spring for an S2, but that said I would not completely rule it out. I've tried to find information comparing the different singlecut models, but haven't had much luck.

The models that I'm seeing so far that may be of interest are:
  • SE Singlecut - biggest thing I see right away is that there is only one Volume & tone control
  • SE 245 Standard - would likely only do this for a bargain price
  • SE 245 - this is the one I've been looking into the most and at least in my initial look, appears to be one of the closest to a basic Les Paul
  • S2 Singlecut - looks like this is probably the one of the lowest end USA models, but other than this are there things that make this better than the above models?
I've much appreciate any info that those of you with much more knowledge can impart!

If you really want an LP sound, go S2 McCarty 594. The scale length is closer to G. Talk about batting above the price point......I’m a huge 25” scale fan, so I have an SE Tremonti Custom, SE Singlecut Trem, and a regular SE Singlecut. I flipped about 25 on my way up the PRS ladder. These three had some serious mojo. When it’s gig time, it’s usually an S2 Custom 24 or studio with a trem.

Last edited:
You can get a used S2 for new SE money. SE's are great guitars. I'm not knocking them, but if you want to be in the S2 market for SE money, used will get you there. Of the SE's you mention, I've only owned an SE Singlecut. It was great. I played the one volume one tone just as well and probably easier than the 4 control layout.

Is it OK to ask what a good price for an S2 would be (I know pricing questions can be iffy on some forums)?

Additionally, am I being stupid if I rule out one that doesn't have bird inlays? My SE 22 doesn't and I'd really like them on one of them.

Is it OK to ask what a good price for an S2 would be (I know pricing questions can be iffy on some forums)?

Additionally, am I being stupid if I rule out one that doesn't have bird inlays? My SE 22 doesn't and I'd really like them on one of them.
It's ok but we are cautious. The reason is we don't want to hurt the retailers that support PRS but those same retailors also sell used so in my book it's fair.

Used S2 singlecuts go for around $700 - $900 around me. If you want birds, wait to buy until you find birds. If you don't, you will always wonder what it would be like if you waited until you found one. Some won't buy a PRS without birds. Some love the old moons that used to be on PRSi. Some will buy anything that sound fabulous.
Everybody has their preferences.
Rock what you like.

The S2 Singlecut is still 25” if I’m not mistaken, so I’d probably skip that unless you spring for an S2 594 SC.

SE Bernie Mardsen or SE 245 would be my choice (in fact, I own a Bernie and it amazing). The SE 245 Standard’s look dope too, and I wouldn’t pass one up just because it’s cheaper, I’m a huge fan of all mahogany guitars and any of the SE 245’s are the best bang for the buck IMO.

The S2 Singlecut is still 25” if I’m not mistaken, so I’d probably skip that unless you spring for an S2 594 SC.

SE Bernie Mardsen or SE 245 would be my choice (in fact, I own a Bernie and it amazing). The SE 245 Standard’s look dope too, and I wouldn’t pass one up just because it’s cheaper, I’m a huge fan of all mahogany guitars and any of the SE 245’s are the best bang for the buck IMO.

I've got a used SE 245 that I put an offer in on and am thinking about their counter. I just don't think I want to spend the extra what looks to be at least $400 more for an S2.

What kind of sucks is that normally I would travel to where the SE 245 is located on a regular basis and could probably save some money by picking it up instead of having it shipped.

I've got a used SE 245 that I put an offer in on and am thinking about their counter. I just don't think I want to spend the extra what looks to be at least $400 more for an S2.

What kind of sucks is that normally I would travel to where the SE 245 is located on a regular basis and could probably save some money by picking it up instead of having it shipped.

You should be able to grab a used SE 245 for around $400. And while not knocking the S2, even though it’s a higher quality guitar, the scale length isn’t quite as “correct” if you’re going for a LP kinda vibe.

The SE 245/Bernie/ZM is a great guitar! Add some pickups (if you like) and you’re good to go. If you ask around a bit you’ll find a lot of love for the platform.

I am inclined to agree!

The only things I'm seeing around $400 are standards. I wouldn't be opposed to these, but I don't really want another sunburst guitar and it looks like they are only tobacco sunburst.

Keep in mind that I am not seeing anything local, so everything I'm looking at would include shipping. The best prices I'm getting on an SE 245 are around $600 shipped.

I guess I have to decided if I want to go through someplace like Reverb or hold out for something local.

The only things I'm seeing around $400 are standards. I wouldn't be opposed to these, but I don't really want another sunburst guitar and it looks like they are only tobacco sunburst.

Keep in mind that I am not seeing anything local, so everything I'm looking at would include shipping. The best prices I'm getting on an SE 245 are around $600 shipped.

I guess I have to decided if I want to go through someplace like Reverb or hold out for something local.

You may have to hold out a minute and be patient, and used supply seems a little bare at the moment. People are surprisingly doing a ton of buying right now!

The Standards also came in a red/cherry color, and if you keep your eyes peeled Dave’s Guitars offers “used” SE’s that are practically new for decent prices that I’ve bought a few times.

If you must have something now, are feelin’ the fever for a guitar, and have color preferences... yeah, you may have to pay a little more. But I bought my Bernie for $400 with a hard case, upgraded electronics, and some Gibson pickups for $400.

Cycle through Reverb, eBay, GCUSED, and places like that, and don’t be afraid to “make an offer” and you’ll eventually hit pay dirt.

Well I certainly do get in to the feelin' the fever for a new guitar phase :)

I actually posted my old Framus Television on Craigslist this morning to see if I can get any interest on it. I'd put it on Reverb, but I really don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping a guitar.

I did make an offer on one I found on Reverb and they came back with a decent counteroffer. I would probably go ahead and jump on it if I knew the Framus would sell pretty quickly. But for now I'm mulling it over. Cash isn't really the issue, being a bit of a cheap @$$ old fart is :D

Last edited:
I hadn't checked fleabay... I'm a little more leery about them. But that one certainly looks interesting and I've never owned a gold top of any kind.

Everyone forgets about eBay! Honestly, I wouldn’t worry one bit. PayPal is almost oppressively protective for buyers. Anything seems off.... you can have them suck your money out of that poor dude’s account up to like, three months later.

Well if nothing else it looks like eBay is worth looking at to see the different prices people are asking on there versus Reverb :)

I found a black one that I had been somewhat interested in on Reverb that is offered for a much lower Buy it Now price on eBay.

Facebook Marketplace can be a good place to buy and sell, depending on the people that live in your area :eek: We've had great luck selling all kinds of things, including my F Strat that went towards my 1st PRS.
That's a good idea, I'll go ahead and put a listing there as well.

I think I'd have to be desperate to do this, but I am curious... does anyone know how good or bad Music Go Round is on what they offer to buy guitars?

Back