Singlecut Archtop

PeterK

Hi fellas!

I was wondering if any of you guys have had much experience with the Singlecut Archtop model?

I know it's designed for jazz but I'm wondering how it will handle other genres of music.

It looks incredible and I would like to own one one day but I just want to make sure I wouldn't be buying a straight up "jazz box" as opposed to a more versatile musical instrument

I'm also a bit concerned with feedback since it appears to be fully hollow

And here are some photos I pulled from the internet to make the thread a bit less boring :D

DSC_2826.jpg
DSC_2828.jpg
DSC_2837.jpg
P1012168_zpsdrxu6x3q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't know anything about them, but that one is cool! There's a NGD up for someone that just scored one.

That's actually the SC-J, which is slightly different from the more recent Private Stock Singlecut Archtop.

I confess, I prefer the aesthetics of the SC-J Thinline to the JA-15. Plus, the SC-J is a huge guitar, which I dig. Having never played a JA-15, I'm told they sound better than the SC-J -- though pickup selection had a lot of influence in that conversation. One person, as I recall, found his JA-15 to be quite thin sounding, despite its 53/10 pickups. I have found 53/10's to be dark sounding when covered - so that surprised me. I put US Starla pickups in an SC-J with delightful results. YMMV. Amp and string selection will obviously play a huge role.

I love these guitars. The bracing system is fully CARVED into the top and back. Look through the f holes and you'll see what I mean.

Any of these beauties laying around the shop that you could snap a few pics of? ;)

I love these guitars. The bracing system is fully CARVED into the top and back. Look through the f holes and you'll see what I mean.
Wait, which ones? I know the SC-J is fully carved, but I thought the top on the spruce top Private Stock Singlecut Archtop -- like the one pictured -- had the top "loose" (I will admit, I'm not fully cognizant as to what that means, because the first time I said that to my more-regularly-guitar-playing friend, I pressed the top and tried to slide it around, and he just laughed, and said, no, it's still stuck on there, but it's loose, so it resonates), so I thought the SC-J was somewhere between the archtop and the hollowbody.
...Plus, the SC-J is a huge guitar, which I dig...
It's ginormous. I kind of dig that about it, too.

I have PS #7129 coming in March which is a Singlecut Archtop. I wish I already had it so I could tell you all about it!

Oh man, that's exciting!! Please tell me all about it once you get it! I'm just anxious to pull the trigger because of feedback issues at gigging volumes

After I typed that I realize most people don't have the opportunity to look through the f hole on one of these, so here are a couple of photos. View attachment 5904 View attachment 5905

Hi Shawn, that looks beautiful. Have you had much experience with that model? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but I have a few questions about it before I order one.

Thank you for the pictures!

After I typed that I realize most people don't have the opportunity to look through the f hole on one of these, so here are a couple of photos. View attachment 5904 View attachment 5905
“Most people” - exhales loudly! Stamps foot, bottom lip protrudes!!

And yes the bracing is insane! The figuring is too!!

God I love your job, sometimes!! I’m sure it’s not all milk and honey, but I love it when you show us the sexy bits! Of your job that is!!

Trying to keep it safe for forum!o_O

That bracing is sick!

Having used a few hollow/arch guitars at live volumes, I will make the blanket statement that it depends on how you use it ;)

The mfrs generally do a good job, and I'm sure PRS does as well as anyone, to make it work well for the intended application. You most likely have a bit of leeway in adding some gain. At some level of gain/volume, though, you will need to play like Ted Nugent and ride the volume. At lower volume, it would be great for rock. Metal is likely out of the question.

Wait, which ones? I know the SC-J is fully carved, but I thought the top on the spruce top Private Stock Singlecut Archtop -- like the one pictured -- had the top "loose" (I will admit, I'm not fully cognizant as to what that means, because the first time I said that to my more-regularly-guitar-playing friend, I pressed the top and tried to slide it around, and he just laughed, and said, no, it's still stuck on there, but it's loose, so it resonates), so I thought the SC-J was somewhere between the archtop and the hollowbody.It's ginormous. I kind of dig that about it, too.

A "loose" top on an acoustic would refer to a lightly braced top. Some tops are braced very rigidly, but that kills resonance. Paul likes to brace the top lightly and brace the back rigidly. This allows the top to vibrate more freely and allows the back to be a very loud springboard for the sound.

As far as I know, the production Hollowbody, Archtop, SC-J and JA-15 models are all built in the same manner (no carved-in bracing. The PS Singlecut Archtop is the only model we've offered with the built-in bracing.

Hi Shawn, that looks beautiful. Have you had much experience with that model? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but I have a few questions about it before I order one.

Thank you for the pictures!

I don't have any real hands-on experience with this guitar since it isn't a production model. but, what questions do you have? I can certainly find out some info for you.

A "loose" top on an acoustic would refer to a lightly braced top. Some tops are braced very rigidly, but that kills resonance. Paul likes to brace the top lightly and brace the back rigidly. This allows the top to vibrate more freely and allows the back to be a very loud springboard for the sound.

As far as I know, the production Hollowbody, Archtop, SC-J and JA-15 models are all built in the same manner (no carved-in bracing. The PS Singlecut Archtop is the only model we've offered with the built-in bracing.
I like a strong back and a “loose” top!

Whoops, I’ve made a faux pas!:D

Back