S2 singlecut vs S2 594

Anachronism

Bassist with a guitar habit
The subject says it all, really. I'm looking at filling the LP-shaped hole in my collection without going into Core money. There are, of course, plenty of used Gibson's to be had, but their spotty QC is a deterrent, especially when buying used online. Also, I really like PRS. I want something with the classic LP tone, and am wondering if the 594 has pretty much superseded the S2 singlecut in this area, or is there a case for the older model still?

I played a Les for 22 years, and could never get it to stay in tune, in spite of two fret jobs and a fret board planing. The SE 245 was close, but not quite. I got a rosewood neck core 245 with 59/09's and didn't look any further. I also have an SE Singlecut trem with USA #7's in it. THe 250 is it's own bird, and a very nice one. The Core 245 fell out of the sky at a price that I would have been a fool to forego. They are different from the 594. The SE singlecut has a nice thick gain tone, and I use a trem. I can get it to clean up, and it has a fantastic neck and frets. The 245 doesn't take prisoners. S2 guitars are huge bang for the buck and will have the 25" scale.

Due to the inconsistency of the LP, I think it depends on what version of LP you're after. Do you want the rock solid fundamental note and gut punch kind of LP, or the airy and articulate blues and clean version?

When it comes to S2's, I feel that the S2 singlecut is usually the former, and the 594 is the latter. Now, if you get into the core 594's, they have somewhat the chameleon ability to do both, but all the S2 594's I've tried seem to have a little bit lighter woods and lean more to the airy side, more than the "meaty" side. The core versions I've played, have been a little beefier in the low mids, but don't lack for harmonics and airy-ness, either. Disclaimer, small sample size, but the experiences were consistent.

Due to the inconsistency of the LP, I think it depends on what version of LP you're after. Do you want the rock solid fundamental note and gut punch kind of LP, or the airy and articulate blues and clean version?

When it comes to S2's, I feel that the S2 singlecut is usually the former, and the 594 is the latter. Now, if you get into the core 594's, they have somewhat the chameleon ability to do both, but all the S2 594's I've tried seem to have a little bit lighter woods and lean more to the airy side, more than the "meaty" side. The core versions I've played, have been a little beefier in the low mids, but don't lack for harmonics and airy-ness, either. Disclaimer, small sample size, but the experiences were consistent.
Well, if I have to choose, I'd take the gut punch, but I'd like both, of course. Do you think the difference you've noted between the S2 singlecuts and the 594s is due to the stock pickups in each?

I prefer the 594 scale on a SC vs the 25" on the S2 SC...I have 5 S2s and used theyre the best bang for buck period IMO...I briefly owned a 594 thinline but moved it for the simpler layout of the Vela although I'm constantly itching for another thinline...lol

Well, if I have to choose, I'd take the gut punch, but I'd like both, of course. Do you think the difference you've noted between the S2 singlecuts and the 594s is due to the stock pickups in each?

I think it has more to do with the one piece vs two piece bridge. Although putting a slightly hotter set of pickups into an S2 594 may help.

I would say a pickup swap will change a s2 594 to a beefier machine. I've never had a fret issue or tuning stability with the stock s2 594. I run into those issues routinely on se's.

I've had many 594's core and S2, but call me crazy, I like the S2 Singlecut better. Just don't think I vibe with shorter scale length as well. My current Singlecut with wrap around tail piece just rings and sustains forever, and that's with the stock pickups. Different strokes........

The S2 is like a studio version of a higher end singlecut... if you're after the sound with some great looks, they can be had new for a great deal cheaper. Then again, might be good to buy the higher end, lightly used; cuts out alot of the initial price.

See if you can try both out and buy what suits you best.

I played a core 594 and a core Tremonti and the difference in scale length was noticeable.

594 will feel closer to a Gibson compared to the 25 inch scale guitars.

The S2 Singlecuts do have thick necks and locking tuners are nice but the 594 neck is really comfortable, for me at least.

If you're buying used, I like the SE Bernie Marsden. All it needs is a set of your favorite pickups to turn it into a better lp than most lps.

Light weight. Great neck. Good resonant wood.

All three of mine are excellent guitars and one cost me less than $600 just this year. Another $300 for pickups though. I wanted the best and bought a set of PRS 57/08's for it.

I love my SC58 but I play my bernies more often.

Back