Silver Sky Dispoointed

You have to be getting old to have lost a sale to someone buying a Yugo.

But yes, I strongly advocate buying quality first time around.
(Conversation in a previous life of mine)

Customer- "Boy,they have a lot of nerve asking that much money for this car"
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "You think it's overpriced? If you compare it to other cars in it's market segment, it's actually very competitively priced."
Customer - "yes, it's absolutely overpriced!"
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "Well, as you know, that's always up to the market to decide that, isn't it?"
Customer - "yes it is, and I'm telling you, these will not sell at this price."
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "well sir, this was the best selling car in it's class last year with sales of $244,000 units."
Customer - "well some people might be stupid enough to pay that much, but I'm not."

And the punchline: This guy came back two weeks later driving a new Yugo! LMAO!!! Even better, a year later he had so much trouble with it, that tried to trade it in on a new car and even the Yugo dealer he bought it from refused to give us a "buy price." They didn't want it on their lot used. I'm guessing that mistake cost him at least $7-8K vs. just buying the Grand Am the first time.

(the above story is true, the only enhancement to the story was the "handsome" part. The rest was true)

The moral of this story: Don't let your friend buy Fenders with HSCs, when they can get a Silver Sky instead. Bite the bullet and get the great one first. Save money in the long run. Ha, which I had all the money back I've spent on strats over the years. I could by 3 Silver Sky's.

(Conversation in a previous life of mine)

Customer- "Boy,they have a lot of nerve asking that much money for this car"
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "You think it's overpriced? If you compare it to other cars in it's market segment, it's actually very competitively priced."
Customer - "yes, it's absolutely overpriced!"
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "Well, as you know, that's always up to the market to decide that, isn't it?"
Customer - "yes it is, and I'm telling you, these will not sell at this price."
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "well sir, this was the best selling car in it's class last year with sales of $244,000 units."
Customer - "well some people might be stupid enough to pay that much, but I'm not."

And the punchline: This guy came back two weeks later driving a new Yugo! LMAO!!! Even better, a year later he had so much trouble with it, that tried to trade it in on a new car and even the Yugo dealer he bought it from refused to give us a "buy price." They didn't want it on their lot used. I'm guessing that mistake cost him at least $7-8K vs. just buying the Grand Am the first time.

(the above story is true, the only enhancement to the story was the "handsome" part. The rest was true)

The moral of this story: Don't let your friend buy Fenders with HSCs, when they can get a Silver Sky instead. Bite the bullet and get the great one first. Save money in the long run. Ha, which I had all the money back I've spent on strats over the years. I could by 3 Silver Sky's.

That was YOU???!!!!!!!!

I know it’s a slow day ‘cause I’m really into this thread. I must’ve typed and deleted at least five snarky responses.
I dig "snarky."

Ya got 12,479 likes. Go for it. ;)
I'm waffling between "snarky" and "persnickety".

I think I'll settle on sarcasm:

If the OP didn't know the guitar came with a gig bag for the listed price, then they also don't know about the secret model release of this Silver Sky with one missing screw - it is a limited edition. You call PRS, and they come take away the gig bag...and don't replace it with the hard case!

I think all guitars should come with a hard case. And I don't like the SS. Not my thing. So PRS should have made something I wanted.

On a more serious note, I'd rather have a guitar that plays well and sounds good but is missing a cosmetic piece than a guitar that is perfect cosmetically but needs a setup or worse. If QC is going to drop the ball, a pickguard screw would be my preference.

I still hate gig bags.

I had a guitar sent to me that still had that weird tape PRS uses to hold the pickups in or whatever in place during the final assembly time.

An oddball slips through every now and then.

I’m sure all will be fine soon.

Back