Silver Sky Dispoointed

sounds like someone at the dealer's ship was having a look under the hood when checking setup

I'd like an S2 style one in a bag with moons and a traditional prs radius, cough cough

This guy is a Troll ... you're feeding him, please stop.
ThankYou.
:)
The guy says he loves his Silver Sky and thinks it’s a much better guitar than his strats and Suhr, but points out a couple of features he doesn’t like and one minor flaw and that makes him a troll? His comment is the kind that makes me still want to try a Silver Sky even though I love my hardtail strat more than any guitar I’ve ever owned and I don’t like tremolos (I just block em so they’re an obstacle to me, not a feature). And I generally prefer maple fretboards with a 9.5 or 10” fretboard and medium jumbo frets. But I’d STILL like to try one and see what all the fuss is about! I know better than to do that if I’m not prepared to buy one, and I’m not, but it’s just a matter of when, not if, even if it takes a couple or few years until I try one...

PRS should love trolls like that!

-Ray

Last edited:
I was watching this video...

...and they talk about the benefits of 4 springs, how it makes bends 'easier' as you don't need to compensate for the floating bridge so much. Its an interest watch for anyone who is interested to see how it compares tonally to a actual '64 Strat and a '90 PRS EG4.

Goldo Backbox or preferably an ESP Arming Adjuster installed on the tremolo solves all the problems with number of springs...

I was watching this video...

...and they talk about the benefits of 4 springs, how it makes bends 'easier' as you don't need to compensate for the floating bridge so much. Its an interest watch for anyone who is interested to see how it compares tonally to a actual '64 Strat and a '90 PRS EG4.

It does make things more stable and predictable on a floating bridge, which can be good or bad depending on your aim. You will definitely still get the detune effect bending while playing multiple strings, but it's not usually essential to be perfectly in tune in those situations for me.

The SS comes with the trem "decked" to the body. As pointed out, this is done to JM's spec. I don't know how much tension they put on the springs, but when I do that I like to make them just tight enough so I don't get the detuning when bending. You could also tighten them to where it's just enough to keep the bridge plate from rattling. You'll get easier trem action, but bends will detune the other strings. You could do either with three, four, or five springs.

I found on my latest guitar that I decked, that I liked the feel better with the tension spread across four springs with the claw backed out a little more vs. three springs adjusted tighter. YMMV

Back