Silver Sky Dispoointed

garossi

I love my new silver sky PRS. The tone, playability, feel are better than any Strat I’ve ever owned.

Here’s my beef:
I’ve owned 4 American and 1 acoustic PRS guitars. Every one of them were perfect and flawless right out of the box.

For $2300 I got a soft shell case that is a joke. It’s lightly padded and looks like it belongs w a bargain basement guitar. In contrast I purchased a Suhr Strat at the exact same price. Although the gig bag I got w was equal to a mid priced Gator bag, I didn’t like that either, but it was better than that w the Silver Sky. I love the heavy duty Gator bags, and although I didn’t expect that - there is a Huge difference between the initial hardshell issued w the silver sky and the gig bag.

Secondly, there was a screw missing from the pick guard right from the factory! I can’t believe it got past the inspectors.

Lastly the tremolo w 4 springs is in my opinion too stiff. I had to remove one and reconfigure the springs to allow the trem to be used properly.

Overall, I love my red Silver Sky and believe it is a much better guitar than my Steats or Suhr. I only hope the quality control goes back to my previous experiences and PRS gives an option for a better bag or hardshell w the guitar. I only bought the Suhr because I was unaware PRS was making the Silver Sky (I must have been living under a rock). I told my guitar dealer to pass on this info to his rep, but I wanted hear if others had similar experiences.

My 2 cents...cuz everybody has them, right...?
As for the bags, we had a guy come in the shop where I work last week that just purchased a Suhr, and we all concluded the bags (PRS & Suhr) were extremely similar, if not made by the same company. We found them both pretty well padded, and protective. (My only beef, personally, is how far the zipper opens around the butt of the guitar, but that's a discussion elsewhere...and I've always been a bit of a whiner!!!)
As far as the springs, that's very much a personal touch thing...some folks like 3 , some like 5...putting 4 is probably average, and lets you remove 1 to adapt to your touch/preference, instead of only supplying 3, and you might prefer 4 (like many do), and you'd need to find another spring.
For the missing screw thing...no idea, but I know these things are a hot commodity, and PRS is doing what they can to get them out in a timely fashion...I'm sure if you email PRS customer support, they'd mail you a screw or two...

Last edited:
Just a thought, it may be that there was a screw but it fell out in transit. Maybe not, but I'd check the bottom of the bag.

I must admit I prefer a Hard case to a gig bag but I know some prefer the Gig bag. I do think that every guitar over a certain price point should come with a hard case as standard or at least offer a choice between gig bag or hard case. I don't buy 'Strats' to know what others offer at this price point.

The missing screw does not sound very 'PRS' and whether that left the factory that way or was 'removed' at the store, I don't know. Maybe someone 'stole' it for their guitar after losing one at the store you purchased it from? I bet you didn't buy it direct from PRS. Point is, you can't blame PRS unless you bought it direct from them and it came directly to you without passing through any other person. I am not saying it didn't leave the factory that way either but there are other ways that screw could of been removed before it reached you after leaving the factory.

As for the 4 springs, I would rather receive 4 springs and remove one for my preference on the trem, than receive 3 and want a 4th. Lets not forget though that the Silver Sky is John Mayers 'guitar' and built to his specification and preference. Maybe he prefers the 4th spring and prefers a 'stiffer' action to have more control, more feedback and to keep the Trem more 'stable' when he isn't using it. The Silver Sky is a 'general' Strat copy but John Mayers signature model - its like complaining that the Chris Robertson has a P90 in the neck and not a humbucker like your Gibson Les Pauls have....

Gig bag whining - YAWN.

Missing screw - unacceptable and weird. I'm positive PRS and your dealer can/will easily remedy.

Trem springs - your opinion, and that's cool. PRS have been putting 4 screws on their trems for over 30 years. Personal setup preferences vary.

lets see

Gig Bag - can't say i think a £2,300 guitar should come with a gig bag but having looked at it the cost of the hard case from PRS to fit a Silver Sky is £250 so it may have been done to make the guitar more salable. If you really want a Hard Case buy one and offset the cost by selling the gig bag.

Missing Screw - shouldn't happen but i'm sure PRS would sort it quickly and send some out to you.

Trem Springs - as has already been said the guitar is set up to JMs specs. I don't think the trem is to stiff (at least on mine) with 4 springs. JM likes it decked and thats how it ships. It's easy to adjust to your preferences.
My Eric Johnson has the trem decked like the Silver Sky and 5 springs fitted as i rarely use the trem on that guitar, whereas my Gilmour is set floating for a semi-tone up bend with 2 springs fitted because thats how i like that guitar set.

I love my new silver sky PRS. The tone, playability, feel are better than any Strat I’ve ever owned.

Here’s my beef:
I’ve owned 4 American and 1 acoustic PRS guitars. Every one of them were perfect and flawless right out of the box.

For $2300 I got a soft shell case that is a joke. It’s lightly padded and looks like it belongs w a bargain basement guitar. In contrast I purchased a Suhr Strat at the exact same price. Although the gig bag I got w was equal to a mid priced Gator bag, I didn’t like that either, but it was better than that w the Silver Sky. I love the heavy duty Gator bags, and although I didn’t expect that - there is a Huge difference between the initial hardshell issued w the silver sky and the gig bag.

Secondly, there was a screw missing from the pick guard right from the factory! I can’t believe it got past the inspectors.

Lastly the tremolo w 4 springs is in my opinion too stiff. I had to remove one and reconfigure the springs to allow the trem to be used properly.

Overall, I love my red Silver Sky and believe it is a much better guitar than my Steats or Suhr. I only hope the quality control goes back to my previous experiences and PRS gives an option for a better bag or hardshell w the guitar. I only bought the Suhr because I was unaware PRS was making the Silver Sky (I must have been living under a rock). I told my guitar dealer to pass on this info to his rep, but I wanted hear if others had similar experiences.

I think your thread title should be “A case of the case blues.”

The missing screw is an easy fix. Have your dealer take care of it, that's what the warranty is for. Or just contact PRS customer service. I'm betting they'll mail one out pronto for free. [email protected]

The other things are personal preference gripes. But I'll point out that if you bought the guitar in person from a store, you knew that it would be a gig bag and you felt the tension on the trem before you plunked down your dough. Maybe those things should have been part of your buying decision.

At that price a guitar should come with a case, but it's not like PRS is hiding the fact that it comes with a bag, so can't really get upset about it. I just ended up ordering a case through my local dealer. I'd rather it have come with one, but I knew what I was getting so it is what it is.

As for the screw, take it back to your dealer and they can easily get that fixed. I'm sure PRS can send a screw rather quickly.

Trem is personal taste, so its not really something to complain about, especially when you can easily remove a spring and set it up the way you like it.

I've always thought it was weird that a guitar over 1000 doesn't come with a case. I liek the gig bags, and they work just fine, but when I saw that only 500 Silver Sky's were coming with a hard case, I have to admit I thought it was pretty bad. It's a John Mayer signature....I"m sure Paul wouldn't send John one in a bag.

With that being said, I don't upgrade from my gig bags etiher, though

At that price a guitar should come with a case,
So, I'm no expert on this. I just know PRS said at this price, gig bag. At that point, it's not up to me or anyone to say "at this price it should include a case" it's simply available for purchase at this price with a gig bag and I either buy it, or don't. I don't really understand all the people who say "at this price, it should come with a case." It's not really up to us to decide what PRS should sell ANY guitar for. It's just up to us to decide if that number works for us

Look at all the great guitars PRS made in the past and they didn't sell well enough, like the DC3 or NF3 for example, that people said "it either needs to be lower priced or fancier like the other PRS guitars." And they WERE lower priced that C22 or C24 or whatever. PRS obviously wanted to keep this closer to $2K than $3K or even the high $2K range. I promise you your dealer will gladly give you a price that includes a case. It won't be $2,300, but you can then decide if it's worth it or not.

This is a painted guitar so your saving money on fancy woods etc. But it still comes down the same line with the same craftsmen and the same quality as the other higher priced instruments.

Edit: Written prior to seeing the previous post. o_O

OK. Here's my 2 cents. A company decides to make a product to sell to consumers. They also decide how to package the product to make it attractive for the consumer to purchase. Part of that thought process includes predicting what the consumer will pay for said total package. My guess is that PRS decided that a good marketing strat-egy (pun intended) was to offer this guitar with a gig bag to keep it at that determined price. Then, those consumers who do in fact want a hard case can still purchase one.

Ultimately, you, the consumer, can decide whether or not this is an acceptable purchase. Either buy it or don't; it's your free will.

Last edited:
(Conversation in a previous life of mine)

Customer- "Boy,they have a lot of nerve asking that much money for this car"
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "You think it's overpriced? If you compare it to other cars in it's market segment, it's actually very competitively priced."
Customer - "yes, it's absolutely overpriced!"
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "Well, as you know, that's always up to the market to decide that, isn't it?"
Customer - "yes it is, and I'm telling you, these will not sell at this price."
Handsome young redheaded salesman - "well sir, this was the best selling car in it's class last year with sales of $244,000 units."
Customer - "well some people might be stupid enough to pay that much, but I'm not."

And the punchline: This guy came back two weeks later driving a new Yugo! LMAO!!! Even better, a year later he had so much trouble with it, that tried to trade it in on a new car and even the Yugo dealer he bought it from refused to give us a "buy price." They didn't want it on their lot used. I'm guessing that mistake cost him at least $7-8K vs. just buying the Grand Am the first time.

(the above story is true, the only enhancement to the story was the "handsome" part. The rest was true)

The moral of this story: Don't let your friend buy Fenders with HSCs, when they can get a Silver Sky instead. Bite the bullet and get the great one first. Save money in the long run. Ha, which I had all the money back I've spent on strats over the years. I could by 3 Silver Sky's.

Back