Silver Sky Dispoointed

During all the back and forth about the guitar all over the place, I read that Mayer likes his trem stiff and only in one direction, if PRS followed his design directions to the letter as I suppose they would, it would be a stiffer trem right out of the box. Removing springs is your option.

If you’d said “speedo wearing” we’d have known it was you!;)

Ah, I didn’t have those swim trunks back then. Since I had already embelished the “handsome” thing I didn’t want to get too far away from the truth. Although, the Speedos do seem to get a disproportionate amount of mentions here, considering it’s a mostly male forum. But, I guess, if you got it, you got it. Perhaps it’s time for a new “signature...”. ;)

The guy says he loves his Silver Sky and thinks it’s a much better guitar than his strats and Suhr, but points out a couple of features he doesn’t like and one minor flaw and that makes him a troll? His comment is the kind that makes me still want to try a Silver Sky even though I love my hardtail strat more than any guitar I’ve ever owned and I don’t like tremolos (I just block em so they’re an obstacle to me, not a feature). And I generally prefer maple fretboards with a 9.5 or 10” fretboard and medium jumbo frets. But I’d STILL like to try one and see what all the fuss is about! I know better than to do that if I’m not prepared to buy one, and I’m not, but it’s just a matter of when, not if, even if it takes a couple or few years until I try one...

PRS should love trolls like that!

-Ray
You should try one. I was invited by the guitar guy at my local store to test drive a “Launch Edition” SSky since I am an Owner of vintage strats from 56-72. He said:”would you please just give your opinion at this in store event”. I agreed and drove down there on a Saturday. The thing that really happened: I took it out of the case, plugged it into a Deluxe Reverb and there and then BOUGHT IT”. I am NOT a compulsive buyer,but the Silver Sky is hands down the best interpretation of a known theme,it captures great usable sounds in all positions and the volume and tone controls are so effective, that I have actually put little markers on my Pickguard. And mine is really light and easy to have round your neck for long sessions.I am a professional studio player and work every day in the studio.....

Ah, I didn’t have those swim trunks back then. Since I had already embelished the “handsome” thing I didn’t want to get too far away from the truth. Although, the Speedos do seem to get a disproportionate amount of mentions here, considering it’s a mostly male forum. But, I guess, if you got it, you got it. Perhaps it’s time for a new “signature...”. ;)

“Speedo owning MEMBER”!!:eek:

You should try one. I was invited by the guitar guy at my local store to test drive a “Launch Edition” SSky since I am an Owner of vintage strats from 56-72. He said:”would you please just give your opinion at this in store event”. I agreed and drove down there on a Saturday. The thing that really happened: I took it out of the case, plugged it into a Deluxe Reverb and there and then BOUGHT IT”. I am NOT a compulsive buyer,but the Silver Sky is hands down the best interpretation of a known theme,it captures great usable sounds in all positions and the volume and tone controls are so effective, that I have actually put little markers on my Pickguard. And mine is really light and easy to have round your neck for long sessions.I am a professional studio player and work every day in the studio.....
I'm sure I'd love it too and that's why I'm not gonna play one. I've only had my Cray strat for 4-5 months and after 40 years of playing strats, it feels like "home" to me. I'm a hardtail guy and a strat guy and never had the two met until I finally broke down and got a Cray. And it feels and sounds perfect to me. So, first, I don't want to mess with that - I'm in my own personal strat heaven here and I don't WANT another strat type guitar at this point - I want to enjoy this prolonged honeymoon (that I don't think is a honeymoon - I think it's early stages of a damn good marriage, but we'll see). And second, I'm not in any position to buy a Silver Sky anytime soon so going out and playing one would just be asking for trouble. Because I'm assuming it's as great as almost everyone who's played one says it is and then I'd either be broke or conflicted and right now I'm solvent and blissfully happy. So I'm sitting tight for now. I know someday I'll play one and if I react to it like a lot of folks have, I'll probably buy it. And then I'm back into blocking trems and dealing with the parts of the strat that have been a PIA to me over the years but are no issue at all with a Cray hardtail.

So, NOT YET! I'm sure it'll eventually happen, maybe in a couple of years when used ones are bringing half the price of new ones rather than selling at a premium. But not soon and I'm really fine with that. I just got back into playing a lot last year and I've had some churn and buying and selling and returning re-figuring out what I like and what works for me at this point in my life. And for the past month or two, I'm finally feeling settled with my gear. I'm not where I ever thought I'd be with it - six months ago I was gonna be a single electric guitar guy again and now I have three really good everyday players and they're dialed and I'm really happy with the combination. For the first time since I got back into it, I feel like I've tried what I wanted to try and know what I like and I just want to live with it. Guitar GAS is not something I've had for most of my life until the past 12-18 months and I don't really enjoy it, although it was necessary to figure out what I like and what I don't since I'm sort of a different player with different tastes now. I haven't had any GAS for the last couple of months and frankly that's a nice feeling to have. So someday almost for sure, but hopefully someday well down the road...

I dig the gig bag. I'm not a hardshell fan anymore. I've been thinking about going with Mono cases for gigging anyway. And my Silver Sky had a very minor issue that PRS resolved wonderfully and quickly. But that happens with production models from time to time. I'm planning to get another one when new colors come out. I love this guitar.

For us buying overseas, what minor issues?
Mine had a very tiny spot along the scarf joint that I could feel something. I couldn’t see any ridge but could slightly feel it. Not sure what it was but I sent my guitar to PRS and it came back perfect.

And I'd like to add, I love the guitar. I've owned two Eric Clapton Strats, two Mayer Strats and two American Deluxe Strats over the years and this beats them easily. Granted, I wish I would have kept my first Mayer Strat. But the Silver Sky makes up for my stupidity letting that one go!

And I'd like to add, I love the guitar. I've owned two Eric Clapton Strats, two Mayer Strats and two American Deluxe Strats over the years and this beats them easily. Granted, I wish I would have kept my first Mayer Strat. But the Silver Sky makes up for my stupidity letting that one go!
I got distracted from getting a Clapton strat by the 305.
Best distraction EVER!
Rode it hard and put it away wet for a long time until I got distracted again by various PRS humbuckers.
The Silver Sky is everything I wanted from a SSS guitar. If they put out a HSS version I'd likely buy that too.
Freaking amazing guitars.

I do like the gig bag that comes with the SS. It is high density padding material (the bag doesn't bend when it is empty). The rucksack system is quite nice and well designed, even fancy. It is compact and precisely fitted. If you pack your stuff in the car with your rig, there's gonna be a place where it won't get crushed. That's easy. If you tour or other people than you handle your equipment, get a case.

Back