Show your SE!

I bet that's been hard! I wouldn't have been able to resist.

It has been!

Everytime my wife went out somewhere the tempation to unpack it and plug in was almost too much to withstand!

Nearly there though, 24 hours and it will be in my hands!

It has been!

Everytime my wife went out somewhere the tempation to unpack it and plug in was almost too much to withstand!

Nearly there though, 24 hours and it will be in my hands!

Got mine today, and a new Fender Humboldt Blues Jr. too. Now I need the weekend to spend more time jamming with my new toys. Pics on the weekend.

Hey all! First post! Lots of great looking guitars here. I was surprised to see only one Paul Allender, so I decided to share mine. It is a 2011 model in green. Awesome guitar. I hope to add a 245 to the mix soon.

_DSC0005_zpsd33370e0.jpg

_DSC0006_zpsccc04b82.jpg

Last edited:
^^ I really like that in green. I don't think you can get those in that color now, just the purple which I'm not quite as fond of. I gotta take some pics of my 245 soon. Too busy playing it :D

Here is my new se custom 24. Different in about every way from my 245. It ways about nothing wich really surprised me. Guess its the thinner body and trem cavity. The neck is just as people told me like a wide fat just a little thinner. Not at all like my ibanez so that was a relief. Sounds completely different got so used to the sound of my 245 it was quite a difference.

The color is not quite right in the pic. Its more grey than it shows in the pic. Most pics I found made it look black with a little grey mixed in. This is more like an old worn pair ob black jeans so its a great 3D effect.

IMG_20130130_125230_zps926a0d15.jpg

Is this a 2013 model then? How much thinner is the body over the 245? I really like the heft and beveled top of the 245, and was kind of hoping the SE24 was similar. The neck sounds good though, although I dig the wide fat as well. This one might be my next guitar, if I decide to sell my SG, just not sure yet. How do the split coils sound? I like that feature a lot, especially for the neck pickup.

Site deleted my post as I tried to submit.

Its not a 2013 color but came in stock long after the 2013 colors were available to ship. The serial number is 19000 higher than my 245 so I am assuming its factory fresh.

The new colors are vintange Sunburst like the bernnie model and black cherry. Was going to go sunburst but wanted that 7 string that is coming out and it looks nice in vintage sunburst.

Did a quick measure so at the bottom strap button the 245 - 2 1/8" the 24 1 5/8". So that's a lot more wood on the 245 with the single cut and extra 1/2 of mahogany.

Haven't had enogh time to get a good feel for the sound yet. Not to familiar with all the tone terminology. The 245 is a lot thicker sound. Not to say the 245 sound like a drop tuned custom. Just a lot warmer sound.

For the split coil I don't have much to compare it to. There is the volume drop of course since your only using half of the pickup. The 24 definitely has a more strat sound than the split megadrive at the brige in my ibanez. Pluss you loose that slightly out of sync stereo sound you get from picking up the sound from seperate places on the string. Sounds so much clearer and you can hear you picking much better.

I love the split option but think I may put a pair of tripple shots in so I can get individual split/series/parallel instead of the all or nothing push pull setup. That and it goes without having to drill any holes into the body for mini switches.

Last edited:
Hi... The name is Joe. I'm new to PRS, but old to guitars in general. I picked up 2 SEs at the end of last year. (sorry for the bad cell phone pics)

2008 Singlecut SE (used)
prssesc.jpg

I tried out and fell in love with it immediately. I bought it as a birthday present to myself.

2012 Tremonti SE
prsmtse.jpg

That my wife bought me a the next day, because she wanted me to have a NEW guitar (this is after yelling at me for having too many the day before).

I can't believe I waited this long to try a PRS... Now I'm gassing for a Maryland made one. God help me.

IRG

If your wondering about the necks they are a good amount different. The wide fat is a soft V shape. So if you like to play with you thumb on the low e side of the neck its got a great anchor spot for your thumb. But if you move your thumb down to get the high e an have your thumb at the height of the arch it can feel a but over sized.

Now for the wide thin. Imagine if the wide fat was a rubber ball or dogs sqweek toy. If you presses down on the top the sides would bulge out. So the wide thin isn't so much thin as it has a flatter arch in the middle and thicker around the edges than the wide fat. So if you keep you thumb in the center of the neck the wide thin will give you a better anchor there.

Not sure which one I like more yet. Love the feel of the wide fat over the wide thin with the different anchor point. I have smaller hands so the wide thin leaves a little more room for my fingers to reach around.

Last edited:
I see that MF has the SE Custom 24 in a nice Vintage Sunburst color. This color isn't listed on the PRS website, and I haven't seen it in other places either. Is this an older color then? Or new and not listed here on the PRS website yet? This isn't Tobacco Sunburst either, which is nice but darker and more common.

DV016_Jpg_Large_1337699308236_C.jpg

That's what I have been trying to figure out. They list exclusive model on their site. So I think it is a special run just for musiciansfriend. Though its usually only one color. Another site got a special run on splated maple custom 24s and santanas. Was late to the game on that one so they didn't have many 24s left.

Was going to go with the vintage burst but I wanted that upcoming 7 string in that color. They got a grey/black in at the last minute. Looks nice now will look even better once some fade sets in.

SE 245
* Gibson '57 Classic pickups
* Gibson Amber Speed Knobs
* Schaller Strap Locks
* Refinished Headstock
* Tusq Nut (coming soon)

PRSSE245_zpsf66b25b5.jpg

Tremonti SE Custom
* PRS 1985 T/B Reissue Pickups
* PRS Phase II Locking Tuners
* Black Trem Arm Tip
* Schaller Strap Locks
* Personalized Truss Rod Cover
* Refinished Headstock
* Tusq Nut (coming soon)
* Tremol-no (coming soon)

PRSTremontiSECustom_zps24e9016b.jpg

SE 245
* Gibson '57 Classic pickups
* Gibson Amber Speed Knobs
* Schaller Strap Locks
* Refinished Headstock
* Tusq Nut (coming soon)

PRSSE245_zpsf66b25b5.jpg

Tremonti SE Custom
* PRS 1985 T/B Reissue Pickups
* PRS Phase II Locking Tuners
* Black Trem Arm Tip
* Schaller Strap Locks
* Personalized Truss Rod Cover
* Refinished Headstock
* Tusq Nut (coming soon)
* Tremol-no (coming soon)

PRSTremontiSECustom_zps24e9016b.jpg

Some nice looking guitars there. Do you think the Gibson '57s are a big improvement over the stock SE 245 pickups? Because I was debating that. I have an Epiphone LP Tribute that comes with coil tapped Gibson '57s in it, and comparing back and forth, I'm not sure they are all that much better. I do like the neck pickup using the coil/single tapped option, especially with cleans. But otherwise, the 245s really hold their own, especially when gain is added, I didn't see any improvement with the '57s.

Some nice looking guitars there. Do you think the Gibson '57s are a big improvement over the stock SE 245 pickups? Because I was debating that. I have an Epiphone LP Tribute that comes with coil tapped Gibson '57s in it, and comparing back and forth, I'm not sure they are all that much better. I do like the neck pickup using the coil/single tapped option, especially with cleans. But otherwise, the 245s really hold their own, especially when gain is added, I didn't see any improvement with the '57s.

I play through a high gain amp and the SE245 pickups just sound a tad more harsh to my ears.
The Gibson '57 Classics just sound smoother IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the SE245's are good pickups.
It may all just depend on the amp you're using and the type of music you play.
It's all just personal preference, I guess.

I play through a high gain amp and the SE245 pickups just sound a tad more harsh to my ears.
The Gibson '57 Classics just sound smoother IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the SE245's are good pickups.
It may all just depend on the amp you're using and the type of music you play.
It's all just personal preference, I guess.

Makes sense. I don't use a high gain amp, a Fender Humboldt Blues Jr. But I do some use higher gain fuzz pedals, sounds pretty good with 'em. I might sell the Epiphone without the '57's in it, put those in my 245, depends on the price I can get for it. Something to consider...

The same pickups can sound different in different guitars. You're playing an Epi, an inferior instrument, compared to the PRS SE. So, it might be a case of the 57 classics making the Epi sound better than it should, or in other words, the pickups don't sound very good because the guitar doesn't sound very good. I don't see why you shouldn't put your best pickups in your best guitar. That seems like a no brainer.

on the other hand, I like to suggest a magnet swap in the SE pickups before replacing. If the SE245 pickups sound too harsh, swap in an Alnico 2 or unoriented alnico 5 magnet. Especially the bridge pickups can be sort of compressed and nasally sounding, swapping magnets can open them up and make them sing, and it only costs a few bucks and takes a few minutes to do.

Back