Show your SE!

The same pickups can sound different in different guitars. You're playing an Epi, an inferior instrument, compared to the PRS SE. So, it might be a case of the 57 classics making the Epi sound better than it should, or in other words, the pickups don't sound very good because the guitar doesn't sound very good. I don't see why you shouldn't put your best pickups in your best guitar. That seems like a no brainer.

on the other hand, I like to suggest a magnet swap in the SE pickups before replacing. If the SE245 pickups sound too harsh, swap in an Alnico 2 or unoriented alnico 5 magnet. Especially the bridge pickups can be sort of compressed and nasally sounding, swapping magnets can open them up and make them sing, and it only costs a few bucks and takes a few minutes to do.

I dunno, the Epi Tribute model is a pretty nice model. Mostly Gibson spec'd, minus the nitro finish. The PRS does play easier though, could be the thinner gauge strings on it. I'll say that the Epi stays in tune better, whether it's because of the nut, or the better Grover tuners it comes with. Also a hsc and it's $50 less. But I still really like the 245, definite keeper.

I dunno, the Epi Tribute model is a pretty nice model. Mostly Gibson spec'd, minus the nitro finish. The PRS does play easier though, could be the thinner gauge strings on it. I'll say that the Epi stays in tune better, whether it's because of the nut, or the better Grover tuners it comes with. Also a hsc and it's $50 less. But I still really like the 245, definite keeper.

I was having tuning issues on my 245 as well ...
I just changed the nuts on both my SE's tonight.
I used Tusq nuts and immediately noticed a HUGE difference.
The SE nuts are garbage. :laugh:

I was having tuning issues on my 245 as well ...
I just changed the nuts on both my SE's tonight.
I used Tusq nuts and immediately noticed a HUGE difference.
The SE nuts are garbage. :laugh:

Yeah I'll probably have someone do it for me, I have a great vintage guitar store a block from my office, and they have a nice collection of some of the earliest PRS guitars. Their tech is awesome. I might get an SE Custom 24 next, and have both nuts changed at the same time.

Yeah I'll probably have someone do it for me, I have a great vintage guitar store a block from my office, and they have a nice collection of some of the earliest PRS guitars. Their tech is awesome. I might get an SE Custom 24 next, and have both nuts changed at the same time.

The Tusq nuts are precut.
All I had to do was sand the bottom of the nut a little to get the action right.
It's pretty easy if you just leave the strings on the guitar and just check your progress as you go.

The Epi Tributes are pretty good guitars. I tried a few out when I was on my quest for a new singlecut before I got the Bernie. They (arguably) put a lot of the lower priced Gibsons to shame, and you do get a lot for the money with them. But out the box the SE's just nailed it and (crucially) had better fretwork and a seemingly better build quality overall. The SE seemed worth it's price. Also, once you get 'under the hood' you see the quality differences too. Lift the neck pup and look at the join on the SE's. Quality!!! The Epi may seem to have the higher quality parts but the SE is built better and that wins out in my book.

It's just the nut that lets them dow a touch IMHO. That's where the tuning issues are coming from and possibly the only 'must do' upgrade on an SE. I may change to locking tuners on my SE C24 because I want to make use of the trem quite a bit so anything I can do to improve tuning stability I will. With my Bernie and my Strat the Tusq nuts where enough for stable tuning with the stock tuners.

I may change to locking tuners on my SE C24 because I want to make use of the trem quite a bit so anything I can do to improve tuning stability I will. With my Bernie and my Strat the Tusq nuts where enough for stable tuning with the stock tuners.

Check that all 6 of bridge pivot screws are adjusted properly. They have to all be at the exact same height so the bridge travels freely. Set the bridge so it floats evenly at 1/16" off the body.
Doing that, along with a good nut and minimum string winds on the tuners, should keep it right in tune.

I have lockers on mine but more for easy string changing than anything else.

SE 245
* Gibson '57 Classic pickups
* Gibson Amber Speed Knobs
* Schaller Strap Locks
* Refinished Headstock
* Tusq Nut (coming soon)

PRSSE245_zpsf66b25b5.jpg

Tremonti SE Custom
* PRS 1985 T/B Reissue Pickups
* PRS Phase II Locking Tuners
* Black Trem Arm Tip
* Schaller Strap Locks
* Personalized Truss Rod Cover
* Refinished Headstock
* Tusq Nut (coming soon)
* Tremol-no (coming soon)

PRSTremontiSECustom_zps24e9016b.jpg

Did you refinish the headstocks on those yourself? If not who'd you use?

Been wanting one of these for a while and came across a deal I couldn't pass up

926ecd0211c532f0f8a7949fec684dec.jpg

My new SE One with my SE Custom 24 & SE Santana

80ea3261f511d9639d28e7b6e78fee72.jpg

Already posted this in another thread, but here are just my three PRSs only.

2012 SE Santana
2012 SE Custom 24
2012 SE Tremonti Custom

2.jpg

Here's mine. Just picked it up last night. I'm primarily a bass player but just fell in love with this guitar when I played it at the store. Actually played it all last night. I think I'm hooked. :) Sorry about the slightly blurry iPhone pic.

PRSSInglecutWhole_zpsb974fb90.jpg

Here's mine. Just picked it up last night. I'm primarily a bass player but just fell in love with this guitar when I played it at the store. Actually played it all last night. I think I'm hooked. :) Sorry about the slightly blurry iPhone pic.

PRSSInglecutWhole_zpsb974fb90.jpg

Congratulations! That is a pretty sweet looking SE.

Thanks! Sounds good too. :) There was a real noticeable difference in the way this guitar resonated. The 245's they had just sounded dead next to this one.

It's great when looks and tone find a home on the same instrument. I'm a big fan of the Black Cherry finish.

Thanks! Sounds good too. :) There was a real noticeable difference in the way this guitar resonated. The 245's they had just sounded dead next to this one.

Interesting you say that. I have a 245, got it recently and love it. I don't spend much time playing it unplugged, but the other night I did. I wouldn't say it resonates all that well unplugged - maybe due to the light gauge strings. But when I plug it in, it sustains like crazy. Much better than my Gibson SG (which will now be sold) and better than my Epi Tribute LP - although that one is pretty good too. I think the thicker body of the 245 helps in this respect.

How an electric sounds acoustically doesn't always translate when plugged in. I've got a Squier Strat that weighs a ton and sounds dead acoustically but sounds great plugged in. Just plays like shat! My Fender Strat sounds fantastic acoustically and when plugged in. The Bernie's between the two but amazing plugged in and the SE 24 is like the Fender tapped but slightly muddy in the neck in HB mode.

How an electric sounds acoustically doesn't always translate when plugged in. I've got a Squier Strat that weighs a ton and sounds dead acoustically but sounds great plugged in. Just plays like shat! My Fender Strat sounds fantastic acoustically and when plugged in. The Bernie's between the two but amazing plugged in and the SE 24 is like the Fender tapped but slightly muddy in the neck in HB mode.

I agree that body resonance doesn't always transfer over to great sound when you're plugged in since pickups come into play then. But I think having resonant wood very generally means that the quality of wood is decent. Of course you have to take into consideration construction and bridge materials, strings...etc. But I thought it interesting that the 245's really sounded lifeless.

My new SE Custom 24, One of 25 in this finish. Now I can save some wear on my 86 custom 24.
untitled_zps5d99b039.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back