Show your pedal boards here!

That one has Bare Knuckle Nail Bombs in it. For my ears a definite improvement on stock #6's, that's not #6 bashing, i personally felt them to be a good balanced pickup. but i felt that guitar deserved something a bit more hairy.

I recorded this ep with them, they get pretty rowdy but never overly compressed

https://soundcloud.com/goose-the-nun/sets/sketetons
Dude right on! I'm actually asking bcs I too have a SC trem and I just changed out the #6 for a set of BK mules. I'm liking the sound so much more, very classic rock sound. Nail bombs are pretty ballsy and focused in the mid range, is what I hear. Probably a great match with the fat body.

That one has Bare Knuckle Nail Bombs in it. For my ears a definite improvement on stock #6's, that's not #6 bashing, i personally felt them to be a good balanced pickup. but i felt that guitar deserved something a bit more hairy.

Tunes sound really good. Love the name too!

Great tunes - love the sound and singer.

Tom

Thanks Les, I had it looking quite pretty in it's previous incarnation. The wires are sending me mental

I completely understand. I just redid my pedalboard a month or two ago to add a 3 amp switcher with jacks that need standard 1/4 inch plugs, and I had already made a decision to use Van den Hul cables with soldered plugs, not the small plugs I've had trouble with in the past. Trying to get it looking good drove me nuts, so I finally simply decided to leave well enough alone, let the wires do what they're gonna do, and here's the result. It's not beautiful, but it is very functional.

Yup. Plugs and cables slop over the top of the board and show everywhere. But the board is quiet and works great. What can ya do?

PS - I dug the tune you posted.

That board is very neat. Plus, it's easier to swap out pedals without pulling half the board apart.

12237184_776683545794174_2033411452_n.jpg
12751398_798149766957484_150179140_n.jpg

I have a newer version, just can't find the picture at the moment. I think I re-build my board daily.

Reactions: MKG
That board is very neat. Plus, it's easier to swap out pedals without pulling half the board apart.

It's about as neat as I could get it. The cables are very stiff, so it's hard to tuck them under the top surface. I did manage to hide the power cables. figured I'd just leave them on top, and you are right that it's easier to make changes that way.

I tweaked my (small) gigging board recently to gain better access to my looper, relegating the dirt pedal to the back row (because i switch between "electric" and "acoustic" modes on the fly, but rarely engage dirt on the electric mode on the fly - it tends to be between songs it gets dis/engaged. I even managed to squeeze the TARDIS back on and keep the clock! Everything is a little too tight, so nothing is perfectly aligned. My OCD may cause me to get more pancake patch cables to see if I can adjust to a neater solution.

EDIT: It occurred to me my last configuration wasn't posted here, so I include it for completeness. The Boss dirt (SD-1) and Donner Fuzz got yanked off and replaced with a mini RAT clone, and the Wally looper was replaced by the new-ish EHX 720, which gives me more control for live playing. And I added a Hotone pitch shifter so I can drop an octave or partial for certain songs if I don't have the baritone handy, and I can fake Eagles Hotel California outro solo harmonies.

Before:
PedalBoard_gigging_2016-01_1024_zpslefqvskf.jpg

After:
2016-03-03%2023.13.45_1024_zpsz9zgdaqp.jpg

Last edited:
Hah, well, that didn't last long. Ordered some pancake cables from Amazon, same day shipping, and found some scrap aluminum rectangular tubing to use in the "trench" of the PT Mini, and ended up with a really good layout for my use:

2016-03-04%2023.16.16_1024_zpstmbagoqu.jpg

Now all of the pedals I use mid-song are on the front row (my front row), with the RAT clone still near an edge for easy access. Everything else is either set-and-forget (American Sound), or will switch between songs (RV-3), or rarely used (Donner Metric Bender flanger/phaser/chorus).

Hah, well, that didn't last long. Ordered some pancake cables from Amazon, same day shipping, and found some scrap aluminum rectangular tubing to use in the "trench" of the PT Mini, and ended up with a really good layout for my use:

2016-03-04%2023.16.16_1024_zpstmbagoqu.jpg

Now all of the pedals I use mid-song are on the front row (my front row), with the RAT clone still near an edge for easy access. Everything else is either set-and-forget (American Sound), or will switch between songs (RV-3), or rarely used (Donner Metric Bender flanger/phaser/chorus).

And the TARDIS is at both ends of the signal chain simultaneously, of course.

Having it that close to the clock probably results in some fairly unpredictable set lengths tho.

Ah, and that latest configuration lasted all of zero actual playing time. When I went to test it all out, I realized the Boost pedal wasn't boosting, in fact it sounded kinda crackly. I remembered it hadn't "boosted" either during practice a couple days before, but I thought that was just user error on my part with other pedals. Nope, Something Went Wrong. So I have now swapped it out for an el cheapo Donner Boost pedal (same day delivery via Amazon Prime, yay!) while I send off the Keeley to get repaired under warranty. The Donner works, but somehow seems almost too "clean", I feel like the Keeley added the slightest hint of warmth - or maybe I'm just crazy. But it does the job, and is needed for a gig this weekend. (An actual paying gig too!)

I need to do some minor cable management, but there is very little space where I'd like to run some of them underneath, thus they are a little sloppy looking.

20160308_062143_1024_zpsfktibnf1.jpg

So every once in a while, I'll see a post here where the pedal brands match...i.e., Les with the 3 Suhr pedals in a row, Mixstar above with the 3 Boss in Boss case, etc...) Does this make a difference to the working musician??? From history here on the forum, I'm guessing the answer is no from Les, because we've heard some of his work...Top notch. He wouldn't add a pedal unless it does exactly what he wants/expects, regardless of Brand. The reason I ask is that I personally like when I can match up brands. Of course it helps when they are a good quality product. And I'm a basement dweller that plays bass when I play out with actual people, but mess more with guitars when I'm downstairs in "therapy".

I've never figured out how delay before drive works.
That's how I bought it but I did try swapping them round and it doesn't seem to make much difference, I will experiment more later.
Does this make a difference to the working musician???
It shouldn't, I used to build my own effects years ago and to describe them as a spiders web would be fairly accurate but they worked. I was using Behringer and Mooer before the above became available and the difference especially the delay is huge, Boss is the business.

So every once in a while, I'll see a post here where the pedal brands match...i.e., Les with the 3 Suhr pedals in a row, Mixstar above with the 3 Boss in Boss case, etc...) Does this make a difference to the working musician??? From history here on the forum, I'm guessing the answer is no from Les, because we've heard some of his work...Top notch. He wouldn't add a pedal unless it does exactly what he wants/expects, regardless of Brand. The reason I ask is that I personally like when I can match up brands. Of course it helps when they are a good quality product. And I'm a basement dweller that plays bass when I play out with actual people, but mess more with guitars when I'm downstairs in "therapy".
Nope, I just go after brands that work. Perfect example: I just picked up a Strymon Mobius and I absolutely LOVE it!* Before, I had tossed around the idea of getting a Strymon Timeline as well. Now that I've got the Mobius, I can see why people go crazy over Strymon's pedals. I'll definitely be getting a Timeline and possibly even a Blue Sky or Big Sky.

*Note: I have not been paid for this endorsement. I'm just a very happy consumer!

Seeing as how I've never heard of or seen a Strymon Mobius previously I have to insist on a tone clip.

I meant to say, the BOSS TU-3 tuner is by far the best tuner I've tried.

Last edited:
Back