SHOW US YOUR SILVER SKY MODS!!!!

If this has already been asked - I apologize for the repeat:

I am interested in replacing the tremolo for a more stable model (which might allow semi-dive bombs, etc).

Does anyone have any experience changing out their stock trem for an after-market model?

If so, which did you go with and how were / are your results?

Thanks!

-Scott

Last edited:

I am interested in replacing the tremolo for a more stable model (which might allow semi-dive bombs, etc).

Does anyone have any experience changing out their stock them for an after-market model?

Thanks!

-Scott

Go for it! Its only wood and metal. Just find a good luthier is my only recommendations. I've done several mods to Silver Sky's. I promise you, it still plays great after mods Lol
Groovy. Thank you for the link. Unfortunately - I can't bring myself to that much modding.
I'm too much of a wimp!
But thanks again for the link!!

-Scott

Has anyone tried adding a mid boost or heard of anyone adding one to their silver sky? As a mostly humbucker user, sometimes the silver sky does seem a little too tame in the bridge position. I have the American lincoln Brewster strat that has both a midboost and clean boost . Doesn’t look like that circuit is available for sale but there’s several of the Clapton style mid boosts with the Tbx tone control for reasonable . Wonder how that would do with the stock prs john mayer pickups ? I do think batteries in guitars are annoying but I still like tinkering

Last edited:

Does anyone have any experience changing out their stock trem for an after-market model?

Thanks!

-Scott

Direct fit may be a challenge. That will depend on the mounting screw spacing. But PRS make some of the best bridges out there, so I'd first make sure the bridge is set up well and that the nut is in good order.

Otherwise, sky's pretty much the limit on bridge upgrades if you're willing to drill/dowel for different mounting posts! Worth it? Probably not, IMO, unless you really go for it with a Floyd or something.

Has anyone tried adding a mid boost or heard of anyone adding one to their silver sky? As a mostly humbucker user, sometimes the silver sky does seem a little too tame in the bridge position. I have the American lincoln Brewster strat that has both a midboost and clean boost . Doesn’t look like that circuit is available for sale but there’s several of the Clapton style mid boosts with the Tbx tone control for reasonable . Wonder how that would do with the stock prs john mayer pickups ? I do think batteries in guitars are annoying but I still like tinkering

Do it! No reason it wouldn't work with the PRS pickups.

I have a TC Electronic Spark for that... No guitar mods needed...

I have a TC Electronic Spark for that... No guitar mods needed...
Yeah that prob works too. I have a real klon and several tube screamers. But as tinkerer , I still want to add the mid booster and tbx to the ss. Figured someone already did

Thanks!

-Scott
Gosh, my SE's stay in tune beautifully. You must going crazy with that vibrato. Mine are both set to float. I'm a Jeff Beck fan.

BTW, I put a set of Chubtone '61 pickups in one, and Chubtone El Gordos in my other and they are fantastic. Loved the original pickups but these get a much fatter tone with thicker mids and smoother highs. Especially Moon White with the El Gordos.

I put Duncan Antiquity Surfers in Greenie, but swapped them out again for the Chubtone '61 pickups.

Put the Antiquitys in my Mark Jenny swamp ash "strat".

Good move! Now i have three very different sounding strat type guitars.

They'll fit the SE pickups themselves, but the holes in the pickguard will need to be lightly sanded to enlarge them a tad.

Don't know about the USA Silver Sky pickups
There’s a video on YouTube where they changed some pu’s on a USA and it was the same situation. Had to do a little sanding

There’s a video on YouTube where they changed some pu’s on a USA and it was the same situation. Had to do a little sanding
On my SE it wasn’t a big deal. Wrap a little fine sand paper around a finger or a dowel and enlarge the holes in the pickguard until you can slide a S-Style pickup cover through it easily.

The stock SE pickups are terrific. I just have some other favorites I’ve used in the past and like a little more.

Last edited:
McNelly Gold Foil Pickups (P90 bridge and neck, strat middle) pickups, Master Tone and Volume controls with an Emerson Custom tone cap.
Did you make the pickguard yourself or have someone make it. I love the Silver Sky but really would love one with a filtertron style bridge pickup and gold foil style neck and middle with master tone and Volume like a modern eagle style setup.
Really digging the pickguard material

You’re braver than me! I put strap locks on mine (like I do on all my guitars) because PRS strap buttons suck

Definitely an advantage having full pick guard for different PU configurations.

Anybody put a prs gen 2 trem on one

I'm surprised , especially with the relase of the "Dead Spec" SS that nobody as installed the Alembic Blaster that makes that model so unique .. they are currently on back order ..likely due to the 1000 order from PRS .. but a VERY reasonable upgrade . I was gigging with my Alembic last night .. there is nothing in the world that clean and bright .. trust me.

I'm still getting the hang of the Blaster on my Dead Spec - I've mostly had it switched off so far, as it lives more comfortably on the pedal/amp settings I've developed over the decades with my own S-types.

Still, when I do use it (and I'll doubtless use it more as time goes on) the clarity is quite jaw-dropping. Alembic clearly do know stuff; but getting one of these on such an already excellent instrument also means I'll likely never need to mortgage myself into oblivion buying a whole guitar from them.

I'd say its inclusion has the side-effect of making the Dead Spec look (improbably) like a bargain :)

I'm surprised , especially with the relase of the "Dead Spec" SS that nobody as installed the Alembic Blaster that makes that model so unique .. they are currently on back order ..likely due to the 1000 order from PRS .. but a VERY reasonable upgrade . I was gigging with my Alembic last night .. there is nothing in the world that clean and bright .. trust me.
I've had one in my SE SS for quite a long time. Its stellar! It doesn't get close to the Further though. True dat on the Alembic...nothing neg intended towards the PRS as I have 10 and only one Alembic.

Back