Should I buy new or used?

This. If you can get an Anniversary CU24 with the 85/15s, you will probably love it. I have one, and find it to be an incredibly great sounding guitar.

Those look promising but I can't get past the Purfling(sp?) on the fretboard and headstock. I just don't like the way it looks.

Answer to used or new is yes. There is no wrong move there. My first cu24 was a new 2011 with 59/09's and I love it. I also have another PRS with 85/15's and they sound incredible. Whatever you buy you'll be better than ok.

It's weird how a battered Les Paul can fetch a lot of money but as soon as somebody sees a ding on a PRS, it's less than perfect

It's true! I've been thinking about that lately. I just bought a secondhand 2003 PRS (mahogany) Soapbar online, because they don't make them anymore, so there was no option to buy a new one.

At the moment, secondhand PRS prices seem to be really good, when compared to the 'G' brand. There seem to be many guitars for sale which 'look' in excellent condition. The one I bought was advertised as hardly played, so I paid more than I should have, because condition is important to me. I haven't seen my purchase yet, I hope that it's as good the seller claimed.

Not only do battered Les Paul's fetch a lot of money, the company even sell them in that condition, the finish on my '59 Reissue was dull, the hardware was tarnished, the screws rusty, and this was a NEW guitar! They even sell new guitars that have been 'professionally' battered, by a guy employed at the factory to do just that! I think that people who buy 'aged' guitars should seek professional help!

Something to consider, is that a very good condition secondhand PRS USA guitar can be bought for US$1,600. This is incredible value! Just consider what you get in comparison to an SE. It may have high quality components like locking tuners, pickups, nut, aluminium stoptail bridge, much better wood, and a hardshell case! Add these together, and it makes a new SE look positively expensive!

I'm a great believer in 'well cared for' secondhand guitars, all my guitars are secondhand, even the new ones; the guitars I have bought new were hanging there in the shop and had already been played by many people!

Just don't buy blind like me, have it your hands, check it carefully, if there are no problems and the price is right, buy it!

Yeah, good question! From what I can see in my brief and introductory PRS explorations, the used market is well populated with some stellar options, and if you look carefully, good deals. There should be a forum sub-category called something like "used PRS sightings" or something. If you happen to notice a particularly tasty used PRS up for sale in a Guitar Center, or wherever (almost all guitar sellers now have Reverb.com and Ebay stores, so even if you don't live near the guitar in question, doesn't mean you can't buy it!)

On that note, a gorgeous 24 semi-hollow just arrived in the Guitar Center in Chicago, up on Halsted. It was painfully nice, with a rather robust price tag for a used guitar - so yeah, there is definite value in finding a good used PRS..

(here's that 'used PRS sighting' for ya!)

111031118_lg.jpg

It's true! I've been thinking about that lately. I just bought a secondhand 2003 PRS (mahogany) Soapbar online, because they don't make them anymore, so there was no option to buy a new one.

At the moment, secondhand PRS prices seem to be really good, when compared to the 'G' brand. There seem to be many guitars for sale which 'look' in excellent condition. The one I bought was advertised as hardly played, so I paid more than I should have, because condition is important to me. I haven't seen my purchase yet, I hope that it's as good the seller claimed.

Not only do battered Les Paul's fetch a lot of money, the company even sell them in that condition, the finish on my '59 Reissue was dull, the hardware was tarnished, the screws rusty, and this was a NEW guitar! They even sell new guitars that have been 'professionally' battered, by a guy employed at the factory to do just that! I think that people who buy 'aged' guitars should seek professional help!

Something to consider, is that a very good condition secondhand PRS USA guitar can be bought for US$1,600. This is incredible value! Just consider what you get in comparison to an SE. It may have high quality components like locking tuners, pickups, nut, aluminium stoptail bridge, much better wood, and a hardshell case! Add these together, and it makes a new SE look positively expensive!

I'm a great believer in 'well cared for' secondhand guitars, all my guitars are secondhand, even the new ones; the guitars I have bought new were hanging there in the shop and had already been played by many people!

Just don't buy blind like me, have it your hands, check it carefully, if there are no problems and the price is right, buy it!

That reminds me of the time I met PRS. Someone asked him why he didn't do relic guitars and he said "because I don't know what a relic'ed PRS would look like, I don't built mine to wear out" It was excellent!

I really like them....I'll buy one eventually. I wouldn't want it as standard on everything though, it's great as a special edition/anniversary or PS item.

Back