Should I buy new or used?

Chiliphil1

Hey guys, so I love my SE and my S2 so much I have decided that sometime in the near future as soon as finances allow I am going to pull the trigger on a real cu24. My question here is should I buy it new? There have been things I have read about certain older models being better, pre factory and all that. I know I can save some money by going used but I wonder if there is anything wrong with the new ones? I am hoping to get 59/09 pickups, does anyone know which year models may have had those? I know this seems like a bit of an odd question but before making a purchase this big sight unseen I want to ask people who would know. I know there is another guitar company that may or may not start with a "G" that people will flat tell you not to buy their new stuff, I can't imagine it being that way with PRS but I wanted to ask anyway, thanks for any help.

It really depends on what it is your looking for in the guitar really. My first CU24 took me almost a year to find. I looked at it as if I was having it built for me. I was like, ok, must be this particular green, have birds, Phase 2 locking tuners, trem, rotary knob for maximum tonal possibilities and HFS/Vintage Bass pickups because that's the sound that I've connected as being 'the prs sound.' It took a while but I found it used and in excellent shape. So if you have an idea of everything that you want your upcoming CU24 to be, spec it all out, keep your eyes peeled and there is not a thing wrong with buying a pre-owned instrument if it's going to become your treasure.

Nothing wrong with an used PRS. That said, don't buy into the naysayers who think modern PRS guitars aren't as good as older ones (Google "PRS pre-factory" for a little education on that misused/abused term).

Personally, I think the guitars just keep getting better and better. You said you wanted 59/09s, which are relatively new pups. With that in mind, you've got options for new and used.

Last edited:
First, the term "pre-factory" is horribly misused in ads. Have a look at the lexicon link in my signature for more on that. Any year CU24 is fine if it speaks to you. The initial quality of the line, no matter when it was made is not an issue - just the current condition of the guitar regarding its care and use by previous owners.

As the guitars get more recent, incremental changes absolutely make them different, but "better" is in the ear of the player. Over the years Paul has changed many materials like nuts, glues, finish materials, electronics, pups, etc always seeking to improve the guitar or tweak the tone in this direction or that.

If you make a list of what you want in the guitar, there are members here who can narrow the date ranges for you. For example, I'm pretty sure that the 59/09 pups were introduced in 2009, so that narrows your search a bit.

Take Matt's example. You have 2 guitars that you like now, so there isn't a rush for the next one. Play as many as it takes to find THE ONE.

And, after playing a bunch, don't be surprised if you end up with something other than a CU24. The other PRS lines can sneak into your desires pretty easily...

Last edited:
Used guitars rock...most of mine have been purchased used...as I always say, just check the structural integrity of the guitar overall, and especially around the neck joint, and also make sure the truss rod is functioning properly...other than that, make sure to get YOUR tone, and go for it!!

I can't add anything to this thread except that I've gone used with my PRSi ever since I've played them and I've never been disappointed. I have a brand new one on order, but this is the first time I've done that and I've been playing PRS for 10 years.

You really can't go wrong with PRS, used or new. Just make sure the used one is in good condition. Some people don't know how to take care of their stuff.

I have a 2003 CU24 with HFS / Vintage Bass Pickups which I like and have never regretted buying and still play often. As mentioned by others the new CU24's come with 59/09's. I hope that you try guitars that have both of these pickups, so you you can tell us what you think of the difference in sound / tone and why you selected "the one that speaks to you".

Agree with what others have said - "buy used seen" (or at least make sure you can return for a full refund within "X" days for any reason)

You will not be disappointed either way (new or used) & good luck on your search,

With my recent experience with the anniversary Cu24s, and considering the music I play, I'd snag a new one, instantly. Like Serg said, there are no "bad periods" of PRS, so go with what you like. You're gonna like what you play. :cool:

I absolutely love mine with 59/09s and also am loving the ce24 with hfs/vb. the 30th I played sounded awesome as well, just couldn't find the right one in dealer stock but don't feel like I gave up anything.

I like buying used, more bang for the buck. Buying new does get you warranty but more guitars for the money is more important to me. I have one new and four used. Funny thing is I play the new one the least.

I bought used and am very happy. But that was with an SE. I think you should think more about finding exactly what you want at that price point rather than if its new or used.

Three of my PRSi were acquired new (all SEs). The other four were used procurements. The new ones are all from 2014, I think, whereas the used ones range from 2002 through a couple years ago. They all play great!

If you buy used, you will save the depreciation that generally occurs with any purchase, but you will likely find the guitar is not in mint condition - and if it is, you will pay much closer to the new price.

My 2002 CU24 10-top was purchased used for much less than half the price of a new 10-top, but it came without a case or trem bar, and was most certainly a gigging axe.

Since I don't really gig the way a real professional (i.e. dedicated) musician would (weekly Saturday night gigs, not in crowded bars), any guitar I have tends to be in pretty well the same condition now as when I bought it - so the mid-90s Mexi-strat I bought new looks in excellent condition, and all of my PRSi that I bought new still look mint.

The best thing to do is go find a music store with some gently used and brand new PRSi available, and see what sings to you - you might save a good amount for a gently used instrument, or you might decide that you want to be the one to put the first ding in it, and will buy it new.

IMHO, YMMV.

It's weird how a battered Les Paul can fetch a lot of money but as soon as somebody sees a ding on a PRS, it's less than perfect and they want $1k off the price lol...
I buy mine to use big-time. Nothing wrong with second-hand as long as you can try first. I bought my two new though as they were too good to pass up and even many months on I still haven't seen a similar one used on eBay. I just wanted that specific version and wasn't prepared to wait!

Yeah that makes me jealous - everybody is saying how the new pups are the best!
Folk I know say it's easier to "lay into" a Gibson but I don't buy that.

I bought my first PRS, a 2004 Custom 24, just 2 months ago. No concerns, no regrets. As for the newer models, personally I don't like the placement of the 5-way blade swith, beneath the tremolo arm. Mine had originally a rotary switch, which I replaced by a 3-way and a push-pull.

With my recent experience with the anniversary Cu24s, and considering the music I play, I'd snag a new one, instantly. Like Serg said, there are no "bad periods" of PRS, so go with what you like. You're gonna like what you play. :cool:

This. If you can get an Anniversary CU24 with the 85/15s, you will probably love it. I have one, and find it to be an incredibly great sounding guitar.

I've been playing PRS since 1991, and as everyone says, PRS doesn't rest on its laurels, they're constantly tweaking the formula to make real improvements. While I love playing the new ones, the older ones are also great guitars.

So do what appeals to you. You can't really make a mistake with any year PRS.

I have several purchased several new and many used and have been nothing but thrilled :) ( except my wallet which remains empty )

Back