Serious self esteem question.....

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
.....What do you do when you realize that everyone in your band are better musicians than you are [for whatever instrument they play] and you have to go into the studio in just a few days.

Then anxiety is real. :confused:

Work on your parts so you play your thing your way. Then let them lift it higher, if they can.

I always learn so much trying to keep up with better players. The old saying “a rising tide raises all ships” is often true in a band. A gifted player not only raises his place, but takes the unit up a notch. You’re likely contributing much more than you think, and they appreciate your contribution to the flavor of the music.

It’s not about being the best, it’s about being your best. Know your parts, arrive well rested with your gear ready to go, take your time getting settled in, relax and just PLAY. Drink lots of water.

If your band mates look like mine though, do NOT picture them in their underwear. I’ve made that mistake. *shudders*

About the only time too much java is not my Best Friend. Get your 1st cup of the day if you partake of caffeine, then just H2O for balance of the day. Repeat all successive sessions. Also, avoid most sweets.

Otherwise, play your part(s) in the band ~ wear your hat so to speak. + What Fragile & Distort6 said.

Nobody can play an original song that you wrote better than you.

Isn't that what Jimi Hendrix said to Bob Dylan?

It’s not about being the best, it’s about being your best. Know your parts, arrive well rested with your gear ready to go, take your time getting settled in, relax and just PLAY.

Otherwise, play your part(s) in the band ~ wear your hat so to speak.

As long as you know your parts and play them well you're good to go.

What these guys said. You're there because you bring something to the band. Just be your best you.

I live by the notion that most everybody is better than me. And in most cases they are, no matter what I'm doing. I look up to those that I try to emulate with the hope that I can become [more] like them with a solid work ethic and dedication. You can have all the talent in the world, but without applying yourself, it's all for naught.
With my martial arts teaching, my goal has always been to make my students better than myself, and that is what my sensei always told me. That has seemed to work for over 30 years.

Are you certain your bandmates aren't secretly thinking they're not up to the task either? I'd bet you all have respect for each other to the point that you're all worried about letting each other down.

As said above, know your parts. And know them to where you're comfortable playing them on your own in front of others. Get comfortable with all the space in your parts that are filled up by the rest of the band. All that emptiness can be intimidating on your first recording experiences, but remember it's supposed to be there as your's is just one bit of an entire arrangement. Groove with it, enjoy it! I had a friend who did a session with Leon Russel - my friend said it looked like Leon just sat there with his hands in his lap enjoying the music while recording, only occasionally lifting his hands to the piano, then on playback Leon's piano was everywhere it should be and nowhere it shouldn't.

Be confident in your skills, your band thinks your right for the job. Believe them.

Last edited:
Her last album was done in Nashville with session guys. PROFESSIONALS, who know what the h*ll they are doing. Got in, got it done, got out. Unless you have that Sony music money backing you, studio time is MONEY. I just hope that I am not the one costing money by not getting it done in an efficient manner. Sure, with 100 takes, I am pretty sure they can piece some sh*t together in post production. But, I just don't want to be the weak link in the process.

Her last album was done in Nashville with session guys. PROFESSIONALS, who know what the h*ll they are doing. Got in, got it done, got out. Unless you have that Sony music money backing you, studio time is MONEY. I just hope that I am not the one costing money by not getting it done in an efficient manner. Sure, with 100 takes, I am pretty sure they can piece some sh*t together in post production. But, I just don't want to be the weak link in the process.

Yeah, but did the guys who got in, got it done, get out, care about it like you do? I bet not! Yeah, professionals and all, but there's something to be said about having your heart in a project.

As far as musicianship goes, I'm a firm believer in the notion that you don't have to be good at what other people are good at, you just have to be good at you. Play to your strengths, make sure your fundamentals are there, and make it your own. As a listener, I'd much rather hear somebody nail a "basic" 3-chord country song, than play a crappy version of a Rush tune.

Best thing I ever did for myself as far as studio prep was to get a basic recording setup at home and practice via recording myself over a demo, over and over again. Being able to hear my performance back exposed all the details I wasn't getting right, timing, sloppy playing, etc. It's great going to the studio and basically breezing through stuff, not because I'm a great player, just because I'm ready.

Don’t psych yourself out. You know your songs. It’s literally as simple as just playing them. Make the studio fun. The hardest part should be having to pack up and leave.

One tip I can give you is when it comes time to do your guitars, find a comfortable spot to play. I’ve found that for some songs I want to be in the room with my amps and other songs I need to be in the control room. Or both! There’s been times I have doubled tracked a rhythm part with one in the live room and one in the control room. Two different feels that meshed perfectly.

.....What do you do when you realize that everyone in your band are better musicians than you are [for whatever instrument they play] and you have to go into the studio in just a few days.

Then anxiety is real. :confused:
Been doing that for years. Seriously. You suck it up, do your homework/practice, and deliver. Don’t be flowery; keep it simple. But be yourself, be confident, and be a solid contribution.

I’ve been the weak link in this band from day-one and would like to think I’m a better player for it.

Back