Serious self esteem question.....

Her last album was done in Nashville with session guys. PROFESSIONALS, who know what the h*ll they are doing. Got in, got it done, got out. Unless you have that Sony music money backing you, studio time is MONEY. I just hope that I am not the one costing money by not getting it done in an efficient manner. Sure, with 100 takes, I am pretty sure they can piece some sh*t together in post production. But, I just don't want to be the weak link in the process.

She's playing with you on purpose - remember that. She wouldn't be taking you into the studio if she didn't think you were up to the task.

You've got this.

Great advice here!! My experience has been that red light fever is real. Get your basic tones ready. Develop any potential secondary or tertiary parts you may want to do in advance. Practice. Talk to your band mates.

The studio can be scary the first few times, especially if you are a live player. It doesnt need to be. You will make mistakes. You will do multiple takes. It is a process. Make it fun. Talk to the engineer about the process. Is he going for a "live" one-take vibe, or can you do each section separately and have him comp it together.

Some songs I do will be one take straight through. Those tend to take longer, but often a couple little imperfections are what the artist/producer is going for. If the track is meant to be "perfect" I'm usually told to cut each section separately. Those kind of tracks often have me using different sounds/guitars for each section. The "vibey" tunes are usually one guitar/amp on the left and one on the right.

Leads? Different ball game. I tend to work them out ahead of time. If I've played them live I take the signature parts and then "finalize" any improv sections so I can be sure everything gels harmonically and melodically.

In the end, be excited. Using real studios is getting increasingly rare. Make positive memories and come to grips with two things:

1. You'll make mistakes
2. If you sucked you'd be replaced by a session guy - especially if she's used some before.

Great advice here!! My experience has been that red light fever is real. Get your basic tones ready. Develop any potential secondary or tertiary parts you may want to do in advance. Practice. Talk to your band mates.

The studio can be scary the first few times, especially if you are a live player. It doesnt need to be. You will make mistakes. You will do multiple takes. It is a process. Make it fun. Talk to the engineer about the process. Is he going for a "live" one-take vibe, or can you do each section separately and have him comp it together.

Some songs I do will be one take straight through. Those tend to take longer, but often a couple little imperfections are what the artist/producer is going for. If the track is meant to be "perfect" I'm usually told to cut each section separately. Those kind of tracks often have me using different sounds/guitars for each section. The "vibey" tunes are usually one guitar/amp on the left and one on the right.

Leads? Different ball game. I tend to work them out ahead of time. If I've played them live I take the signature parts and then "finalize" any improv sections so I can be sure everything gels harmonically and melodically.

In the end, be excited. Using real studios is getting increasingly rare. Make positive memories and come to grips with two things:

1. You'll make mistakes
2. If you sucked you'd be replaced by a session guy - especially if she's used some before.
tumblr_m7qjun6AAo1rv1ckao1_400.gif

Don’t psych yourself out. Be hydrated but don’t do a bunch of out of the norm stuff. Keep your day similar and routine. That will help you relax. You know your stuff. Go in confident like you’re doing a tattoo. But guess what? You can totally jack this up on the first few takes…you get a do over with no permanent repercussions! You’ll be just fine! You’re in the band for a reason.

Don’t psych yourself out. Be hydrated but don’t do a bunch of out of the norm stuff. Keep your day similar and routine. That will help you relax. You know your stuff. Go in confident like you’re doing a tattoo. But guess what? You can totally jack this up on the first few takes…you get a do over with no permanent repercussions! You’ll be just fine! You’re in the band for a reason.

^wise words^

Back